Storage consideration?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Storage consideration?

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:40 pm

What do you guys prefer for long term, download storage? Like all those down load only samples, software etc?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Storage consideration?

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:05 pm

MetroSonus wrote:What do you guys prefer for long term, download storage? Like all those down load only samples, software etc?

Active backup management. The SSD that stores the VSTs and samples gets two backups (regular HDDs), one is done weekly and is on the machine and the other is done monthly and stored "off site".

I figure failure of all *three* is not terribly likely, and with storage being so cheap these days it's not too painful to have a lot of redundancy. I don't think I even need physical media with this strategy (which itself is not 100% future proof...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:07 pm

I live on the edge, everything just lies in the Downloads folder. :lol: lulz haha u wot m8
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:09 am

I've been eyeing another western digital 4tb external to duplicate the one I currently have. I use it to store installation files and sample libraries (plus tons of other random ish). I used to think the lacie ones were better until one totally died on me

I've been meaning to back up my tracks, projects, cover art, etc all together in a couple places. my friend knife that does most of the beats and mixing has a folder full of stuff in his studio. most of the projects I have here are mainly midi (the only audio is usually vocals)

I'm thinking 2 separate 4tb external hard drives (one a redundant copy) then uploading all my projects to drop box or similar. I don't really trust cloud storage but it would be convenient to download a rando project if I'm away

I could make a backup of my whole MacBook Pro onto my Mac mini too

I've had lots of drive failures in and outside my main daw machines. ssds are much better these days but of course a robust backup solution is ideal
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Not exactly on topic, but I used to have nightly incremental backups set up for my two main puters. They both have 2 TByte D: drives. Win7 muddled things around though, so I never arsed it out since then. Probably should.

Even farther off topic, the other day I found that my studio SSD OS drive had like 2% free space! Turns out Guitar Boy was saving all kinds of u-toobs & other krap to his desktop. In such a case, this little freeware app is Teh Admins Friend:

http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:48 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:What do you guys prefer for long term, download storage? Like all those down load only samples, software etc?

Active backup management. The SSD that stores the VSTs and samples gets two backups (regular HDDs), one is done weekly and is on the machine and the other is done monthly and stored "off site".

I figure failure of all *three* is not terribly likely, and with storage being so cheap these days it's not too painful to have a lot of redundancy. I don't think I even need physical media with this strategy (which itself is not 100% future proof...)

I've been considering off-site storage. Suggestions? Data tiers and pricing?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:03 pm

One might just back up to a thumb drive which is kept in one's desk @ werk. If one rotated two of them, that would be a very cost effective "off site" storage scheme, of which someone might have the discipline to do it, but this one probably doesn't.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:One might just back up to a thumb drive which is kept in one's desk @ werk. If one rotated two of them, that would be a very cost effective "off site" storage scheme, of which someone might have the discipline to do it, but this one probably doesn't.

True. But I was thinking more of a data center I could just upload to, instead of carrying around a physical media. But this idea would work, too. Considering large amounts of gigabytes are now available for small monies in a small form factor. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:my studio SSD OS drive had like 2% free space!

o snap !! this is how i destroyed an ssd once ! i was downloading something and didn't realize there wasn't enough space :facepalm: instead of being like "there isn't enuf space bro" it just died. i later read that there is a debate about leaving 20% of the space free or not.

it could have been a faulty ssd or a scumbag mac, not sure (i went trough 2 or 3 ssds that year through warrantee replacements). these days i try to leave some space, usually around 10% and offload everything else to the external drive
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:55 pm

I"m thinking HD might be ok. And for the time being, you can always get back into you accounts.

I'm thinking of investing in a few ROMpler libraries. I would rather just have the WAV when i can, but a few are tied to their own browsers / players, kind of like kontakt. ugh. :lol:I don't really know how halion, mach 5 etc are hanging on these days.

I would go back to halion, but it's pointless when when you can do so much in live, despite it's short comings and there's hardly any libraries in those formats these days.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Who ya looking at for libraries, Metro?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:06 pm

A few techno dance ones from and some random ethnic, ambient stuff from big fish audio. What sucks though is most are just loops.. acid type stuff. I would rather have individual or multi sample WAVs, so it takes some digging to find the good stuff. I just find it's easier to work with.. :idk: Like East West puts out some pretty good stuff, pricey for what you get, but it's good and but you have to use their "player". But that's mostly what you get with playable instruments.

Ahhh name wise? Uberschall "essentials of the order". it's a combo of 3 CDs they had out back in the day. I had one and really liked it. Ah big fish nu skool breaks. I would also love to get medieval legends and forest kingdom 2. I think they used to be east west now they're Best Service. I dunno. Maybe one sold through the other.

I haven't found a really good B&B rompler that I'm happy with. Nothing keyboard quality though. Either you spend 250$ on 1k amazing pianos or 30$ on 500 ok instruments :lol: there definitely is a hole in that market. :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:24 pm

I occasionally sift through Big Fisk and give a listen to this that and the other. They have a bunch of interesting "funk" loops that I like, but I hear them and I think, "what would I do with this that they didn't already put together?" Like, the bass and drums put together kinda push a certain direction, and the remaining loops for that groove already all fit it, so I'm like.... what would I add to this?

Anyway. Loops. It's what for dinner.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:37 pm

I don't even want to get into instrument loops. Pads I can deal with, but right, you get a piano or guitar riff and then what? If you get some drums that are interesting you can chop them up..

I'm going to go thorough the ones on the NI page and see what they have that works with the free player.

I also may get rapture pro and the Proteus bundle. Cheap enough, the demos sound alright. Keep me going for a while anyway..
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 am

MetroSonus wrote:I'm thinking of investing in a few ROMpler libraries. I would rather just have the WAV when i can, but a few are tied to their own browsers / players, kind of like kontakt. ugh. :lol:I don't really know how halion, mach 5 etc are hanging on these days.

Some "sneakily" give you WAV files. Iris for instance actually stores all of their samples in a modified WAV format called "IRSS". If I copy the sample and rename it as a .RAW file, Sound Forge will be able to open it just fine (except for a little noise at the end where whatever proprietary stuff they have is stored).

Also, the Spectrasonics DB files in a hex editor look like they are nothing more than a big blob of wave files. The header has XML of all the WAV files and offsets that probably point you to the start and the end of the wavs in the "DB" blob. Looks like you could "hackily extract" WAV files if you want.

I do prefer the libraries that actually used WAVs, though, with no hacking required (as they can be used for other purposes). All Camel Audio Alchemy libraries used WAV, as do sample libraries I've gotten from Soundiron for Kontakt and Patchpool for Iris.

I do use Gobbler as a "cloud backup" for my actual studio stems, and have been satisfied with it so far.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:26 pm

refx nexus is the gold standard of soft synth 'romplers' (also omnisphere, trillian, alchemy, etc)

I guess I'm spoiled with kontakt & exs24 :idk:

the first package I ever bought was k4 and kore so I've been using them for nearly 10 years :freak:

I think autosampler in main stage could be a thing, people uploading medium-shady motif libraries, etc ?

the only hardware rompler I'm interested in is that Roland integra 7 they made a few years ago but it overlaps too much with the fantom g8
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:24 am

I've considered nexus... You think there's enough in it?
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:27 am

MetroSonus wrote:I've considered nexus... You think there's enough in it?

i had nexus 1 and they no longer honour my license key from mid '00 :facepalm:

i'm more of a kontakt guy

nexus did get exceptional scores on the kvr plug-in rankings for years but the price of nexus 2 and the expansion sets is ridiculous. i just though i'd mention it since its a good (but expensive) option
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:09 pm

yesterday apple announced a cut in the price of iCloud storage

5g is free
20g is now 50g for $1/month
200g was $4 and is now $3/month
1t was $20 is now $10/month

it isn't live yet as i just got the e-bill $1.04 for 20g of storage lol. anyways i though i'd give it a try and see how it goes

this is the web page interface for a test project i uploaded:

you can't seem to download a folder from the web page only files within it

this is what happens when i try to access iCloud.com from my phone :facepalm:

my internet connection is pretty weak so it could be snappier in other circumstances. but the whole interface, etc doesn't lend itself well to say 2-3 years of projects all backed up

it could work in a pinch if i'm at a random studio and want to download a specific file or something (altho as far as i can tell there are no search options on the web interface)

the finder interface is much more useful (afaik only in os 10.10 yosemite and up). its exactly like any folders on you computer except i imagine they would sync across multiple macs.

i think with a faster internet connection (i have around 15-20g of project files in my logic folder) i could upload the entire thing and have it sync'ed across machines. but since its then downloaded and stored locally in finder it would be like having 2 copies of everything on each machine

anyways since i already pay a dollar/month for it i might try it out more but it seems like kind of a mess. a dedicated service like drop box might just work better and faster as a redundant project backup.
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:24 pm

ot
cleaning teh start up disk. most apps that do this range from useless to evil

still, i was running out of space on my laptop so i used this omni disk sweeper: http://bit.ly/1NqFXUt

it basically tells u what is taking up the most space. from there i go into finder and delete it or move it to my external

i managed to clear up about 68gb of stuff !

:smoke:
gregwar

Next

Return to KSS