I'm thinking MacBook Pro ...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: I'm thinking MacBook Pro ...

Postby midinut » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:57 am

gregwar wrote:congrats midiwar !!1

is it a 13" or 15" (i'm assuming its a 15")

either way those are nice specs and shud be a powerful machine

apple care is the best !

:kraftwerk:

I got the 15". When we were at the Apple Store I was looking at both. At my age and with my eyesight I was struggling with the 13". Plus, the 13" only comes with a dual core i5 where the 15" is a quad core i7. I figured it was the better option (but sadly $1000 more). I considered getting the 27" Thunderbolt Display with the 13" for the same price, but also thought about since I'm going to use it live on stage I want to be able to see it. I can also add the 27" display later down the road with a keyboard and mouse for docking it at home. I was also pleased to learn that the Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt drive works fine with Time Machine for backup purposes, therefore no need for the Apple Airport Time Capsule as I had intended.

Now I'm in the process of installing all my VST packages one at a time. MainStage is still working great and looks to be my "workstation-in-software" solution. I've got Cubase installed and working but my Steinberg VST collections don't want to load with Yosemite 10.10 so I'm waiting for new installers from Steinberg. Omnisphere and Trilian have given me a bit of a fit, but Komplete loaded painlessly. I can't get my GSi products to show up (VB3, ZD6, and GS201) within my apps even after following the instructions on placing the .vst files and the .component files exactly where they said to put them.

Also, GarageBand was working fine when I first got this, but now it just locks up whenever I launch it. I've tried downloading it from Apple from the store but whenever I try to "reinstall" it tells me the file is corrupt. Go figure.

And there is also the whole "re-learning" how to use a Mac thing too. It's been almost 15 years since I was a Mac guy and things have changed quite a bit since then. Anyway, heading to the beach this weekend for a little R&R and to give my brain a break. I'll give you an update next week when I've had time to sort through some of my install issues. Any suggestions anyone has would be much appreciated.
midinut

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:04 pm

I'd love to hear what you end up doing with the MacBook, midinut. Especially the part about playing live :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:22 am

I'm still working out the kinks in some of my VST installs. That and going back to youtube school to learn Yosemite. Really impressed with how far the Mac world has evolved since I last used it. Slowly setting up set lists in MainStage at this point. I'll keep you posted as the saga unfolds. Just picked up a Behringer XR18 Digital Mixer and trying to get it up and running as well.
midinut

Postby midinut » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 pm

Update: Got the Steinberg install issues out of the way apparently. Things are running smoothly. I subscribed to MacProVideo for a month to take their lessons on MainStage, GarageBand, Mac OSX, and a few others I want to tackle. I've gathered a lot of info on MS3 from the KC forum (there are a couple of active threads going about MS3 and VSTs. I figured out that I can create a Concert, and inside each Concert I can have a folder for each Set. Inside each set I can create a patch for each song. Each patch can have as many splits or layers as I want, I can assign a .wav file of the song to a playback button so if I need to pull it up for reference I can. I can create looped tracks to play along with and trigger them from pads or buttons on a controller, and I found a way to have a note pop up with the lyrics for my harmony parts on those CSNY songs. Yay - I've come a long way so far, but still have a long way to go yet. Next up (after watching these videos) I want to learn how to integrate my guitars (acoustic & electric + POD X3) into these setups in case I want to play guitar to tracks or some such nonsense, and I want to learn how to use the Auto-Sample feature to capture my favorite patches from the Kronos and the MOXF6 so I have them sampled and available inside MainStage.

At present I'm going to continue to rely on Cubase as my DAW of choice, but I'd like to learn to use GarageBand as a quick and dirty "scratchpad" to get ideas down and move on quickly. Going down this road may entice me into springing for Logic Pro at some point if nothing else to have the seamless integration of MainStage and GarageBand. Oh well, that's where the head is at on this fabulous weekend. Hope everyone is doing well! Now, on to the videos!
midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm jelly, Midi, I'm stuck in school land. Someday...
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby midinut » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm still in school too. Just finished up summer semester. Only took one class (SPAN 2200) so it was a chill kind of semester. Gearing up for fall semester now. Can't register until they post grades and accept my major declaration. Fall will be 12-6 credit ordeal so I'm trying to psych myself up for it again! lol

So yeah, I've been taking advantage of what time I'm been able to have. Good luck with yours!

As I work more with MainStage 3 I am finding myself creating my own patches. Much more than I ever have with my keyboards. It's so cool to take say a Scarbee Rhodes from Komplete, and layer it with a pad from Omnisphere. Add a split and put a bass from Trilian in the lower two octaves, and then save the patch where I can copy it and add it to any of my Concerts. I am really digging this new approach. Plus, having all my favorite VSTs/AUs at my disposal is awesome.
Just finished the MacProVideo series on MainStage 3 so I'm much better equipped now. Now if I can get all these controllers to cooperate I'll be happy!
midinut

Postby gregwar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:36 pm

right on midiwar sounds like its all coming together

in logic there are stacks, similar to what you describe where its basically a big 'patch' with a bunch of layered sounds within it. the best part is you can save channel strip settings, stacks, etc and recall them later as patches

from what i can tell its pretty easy to import MainStage 3 patches into logic and vice versa: http://bit.ly/1MakUVz

i've always thought MainStage was great. early versions where hit and miss but since nine inch nails took it on a world tour in '07 or '08 its really proven itself:

gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:37 pm

God I love Trent.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Previous

Return to KSS