Controllers We Have Loved (or Hated) (or mehhed)

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Controllers We Have Loved (or Hated) (or mehhed)

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:44 am

We don't already have a thred for this, do we? If so I don't find it.

Anyway, The Roland A-800PRO:

I've had it over two weeks now and haven't made one noice with it yet. Know why? Because I almost sent it back thinking it was BUSTED! It wouldn't send MIDI out the DIN jack. After a couple of hours of jacking around with jacks and cords and such crappery, I finally found, way in the back index of TFM, a page that says

"If, for some dumb reason, you aren't satisfied with MIDI over USB like all the cool kids are using now, and for some silly reason you want to crap around with old fashioned MIDI out the DIN to control some crusty old synth module that doesn't have USB (and why, oh why would you want to do that? WTF's the matter with you?? For Ghod's sakes why don't you have an Integra yet???), then buy our $30 external power supply (not included!), because even though we advertise that you can power The Roland A-800PRO from your puter's USB port, we designed your new Roland A-800PRO so it doesn't output MIDI from the DIN jack when powered by USB. Remember now, only a Genuine Roland brand power supply will work with your new Roland A-800PRO! Don't try to get away with using some far cheaper generic 9V 2A 18W power supply with a negative center pin 5.5mm X 2.5mm connector, or you'll be sorry!

And thanks for buying a new Roland A-800PRO, ya gaspy old fart."

Why this is? The MIDI current loop takes 5 mA! USB can WAY handle that!

WTF, Roaldn??!

p.s. roaln no wai ur gettn $30 moar frum me iz getin ps frm ying chong for $8.
Plink Floyd

Re: Controllers We Have Loved (or Hated) (or mehhed)

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:08 am

KX-88
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:10 am

PS. Roland doesn't play well with others
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm

I've mentioned though I do love the PCR series. I think Roland in their general history has made some stand out midi gear and my gut tells me that the PCR was the last of that legacy.

Most, if not all controllers made after the mid 00's are on my shit list though, simply for the fact that they use endless encoders.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:we designed your new Roland A-800PRO so it doesn't output MIDI from the DIN jack when powered by USB.

Wow! They couldn't afford a measly 5ma from the USB power budget? Dang. :lol: Thanks for pointing this out, Plink, if I ever decide to break out my own A-800 again. Thinking I might, because I keep forgetting how annoyed I am with the ReMOTE. :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 pm

ClavAnother wrote:KX-88

If only it output a the full range of velocity. :mad: You can haz 0-100. No 0-127 for you!

Silly Yahama.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:we designed your new Roland A-800PRO so it doesn't output MIDI from the DIN jack when powered by USB.

Wow! They couldn't afford a measly 5ma from the USB power budget? Dang. :lol: Thanks for pointing this out, Plink, if I ever decide to break out my own A-800 again. Thinking I might, because I keep forgetting how annoyed I am with the ReMOTE. :mad:

The M-Audios will. I recall settling an argument between Paolo and someone at HC with a video of me doing it :grin:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 pm

The DX7 also has that problem doesn't it?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:52 pm

yup... connect usb and you'd loose several voices and end up with just a DX100. It was a known bug and Yamaha never fixed it.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:09 pm

MetroSonus wrote:yup... connect usb and you'd loose several voices and end up with just a DX100. It was a known bug and Yamaha never fixed it.

wat? DX7 was way, WAY before USB appeared. There's no USB port on the DX7s.

Did you mean the velocity limit, CR? I don't know, but considering that the KX and the DX are from the same development period, I think that's a fair guess.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:10 pm

There's things I like about Ye Olde KX, but the velocity limit makes me go... "eh. Probably just leave it packed in the box..."
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:16 pm

Hmmm... a little Googling finds that I may have it backwards. it seems that a few DX boards don't go to full 127, but the KX SUPPOSEDLY does. That wasn't my experience, though. I clearly remember getting brighter piano tones from the MOTIF Rack using any controller other than the KX.

Weird. Now I kinda want to break it out and check the actual velocity values coming out!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:41 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:wat? DX7 was way, WAY before USB appeared. There's no USB port on the DX7s.

You didn't know about the daughter board :confuse: it was supposed to add additional outs for each voice and then later yamaga made a retro fit that added USB and spdif.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:12 pm

?? On a DX7? They seriously created an add-on for USB, not popular until around 2000, for a machine designed in 1982?

Must needs find references to this.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:46 pm

It never worked right .. It came out in 1997. I think it was liscened by creative labs or something for the dxii. They were trying to compete with the oxygen and fatboy controllers by shoehorning a USB connection into the dx7ii. You also had to add a custom ROM.

Obviously they didn't sell well. I found one on eBay around 2002 I think.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:27 am

the original dx7 has a great feel but only goes to 90 velocity

the dx7 ii was decidedly a cheaper/plastic feel if I remember correctly. I had mine maxed out with E! and a floppy drive. you might be thinking of a usb floppy drive emulator ?

the fantom g8 is my fav controller. the keys are ivory phat iii or whatevs and feel awesome, perfectly weighted (as a pianist)

the midi fighter twister is awesum for straight up knobage.

I could never get into the akai mpd32 drum pads as they were stiff and crappy. the novation sl37 mk1 has a bad template implementation and automap sucks but it's amazing they still support it
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:39 pm

gregwar wrote:the dx7 ii was decidedly a cheaper/plastic feel if I remember correctly. I had mine maxed out with E! and a floppy drive. you might be thinking of a usb floppy drive emulator

The Creative Labs soundcards in the 1990s were powered by an OPL-3 chipset (which was essentially 4 op FM), and later editions came with a backward compatible block (although the more modern engine utilized sample based tech). The "Creative Labs" reference makes me think that possibly someone had the "bright" idea of shoehorning a DX-like programmable synth out of one of these soundcards. Alas, I can find only reference to toy / non-programmable synths like the Creative Labs Blasterkey MP3 or Prodikeys.

E! was the most popular custom DX7 II ROM, but it's possible that someone made a *really* different custom ROM out there, you can Google a few other oddballs. File it under "obscure" though, at least, the Google isn't finding it. :samsh:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Here's a third party FM synth made from a blaster ROM. Pretty cool site as well.

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm.html
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:00 am

I don't really have an opinion on any specific midi controllers. The ones I have are more than I need, honestly. I just need the keyboard, and don't ever really use other midi controls.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:02 pm

I do miss my Roland A-90. I thought getting the Fusion 8 instead of Fusion6+A90 was a good idea but the feeling of the keys isn't the same, and the black keys having a different velocity curve compared to the white keys (a common problem with a lot of keybeds) is a bit unnerving.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Next

Return to KSS