Waves Element?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Waves Element?

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 01, 2015 6:06 pm

yea but here's the thing... to me they sound kind of thin, when I try to program my own sounds. But everyone else doing it sounds better and they rave about how awesome it is.

:samsh:

:lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 01, 2015 6:17 pm

EQ and effects, mang.

Cloners, stereo spreaders, compressors, etc etc, I imagine.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 pm

I really like this guy.. He did a ton of Alchemy patches too. I suppose.... I could make do with patch sets :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 01, 2015 6:47 pm

MetroSonus wrote: I could make do with patch sets :lol:

:facepalm:

NOE.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:29 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I know this is a very general statement, but can someone explain to me why say on a synth such as impOSCar, you can do a filter sweet and get a huge rumbling freight train sort of sound out of it. But on some of these extra analog TM synths, it sounds more like an EQ being swept with a whooshing sound and a gentle "weeee OOOHhhhhh" near the Q.

I think that *is* an effect of the 0dB. :)

A fairly good technical explanation (without huge math) is at Xils' site.

I don't know a whole lot about general filter calculation, but I do know that filters are, kind of, a feedback algorithm. The most basic digital filter is to take a sample in yer audio stream, and "feed it back" to the previous sample. By "feed it back", I mean add the sum of the two samples, each sample being multiplied by some carefully calculated coefficients (which can be positive or negative). Depending on the coefficients, you get various types of filters. That's yer basic, 1 pole 6dB IIR filter... more poles are done with more feedback loops n stuff. (The reason *why* the maths work and the details beneath it is a bit :freak: for me... something about complex sinusoids and z-planes and other WTF shit :lol: )

Anyways, since digital algorithms are sampled, it does not behave like analog. Analog filters also are "kind of" a feedback algorithm in this way, but it's *instantaneous* feedback. Since digital is "one sample behind", this creates "some problems", at least if you are trying to imitate analog filter behavior 100%... though most of the "problems" are on the resonance end, as explained in the Xils site.

Musically, of course, some people will like the result that "problems" create. :thu: Options are always good.

As far as softsynth programming go, they do seem a lot more fiddly to work with and program than good knobby hardware (but they are better than 2 line LCDS, and work much better for some synthesis types) I wish softsynth developers really got away from the knob paradigm. That really doesn't work as well on a PC as sliders, or click - enter value type paradigms.

Honestly I don't really deep dive into my softsynths too much... too many good presets, or at least good enough to "tweak" to what I want. My time to make music is pretty limited, that 4 hours creating that awesome preset could be used to make even more awesome notes. :smoke:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 01, 2015 7:51 pm

You da man, Soundbrain.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Mon May 04, 2015 7:56 pm

i am possibly gassing for an akai advance 25 for pure portability but i'm not 100% sure what it does, how it works and everything

it has a software layer called V.I.P that can load all of your presets, categorize them and everything

apparently it can do vsti (only) instruments but can play them in au and rtas/aax daws. so i could load a vst plug-in into pro tools and logic.

but i doesn't do effects yet, so i couldn't use the keyboard's V.I.P software to control say a compressor or eq

this is in direct reaction to automap still feeling like an unintelligent mapping solution
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 pm

soundwave, thanks for the info :thu: serious..

I'm going to use the same wood I used to build my desk to build a combo music rack / record holder. After that's done, i wouldn't mind buying a power supply for a eurorack and actually hooking up the several modules I own.. one of which is S&TGs nice filters.. maybe I should give that a try eh?
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:59 pm

MetroSonus wrote:soundwave, thanks for the info :thu: serious..

I'm going to use the same wood I used to build my desk to build a combo music rack / record holder. After that's done, i wouldn't mind buying a power supply for a eurorack and actually hooking up the several modules I own.. one of which is S&TGs nice filters.. maybe I should give that a try eh?

You have an S&TG filtre and you're not using it? I can't even. :mad: PARTY FOUL, DUDE
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 07, 2015 12:25 pm

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry:

Over the last few years or so (ok, 10) I never really developed the patience for hardware. Save for this, then save for that, then still need a cable or something else otherwise it's ALL USELESS angrybaby.jpg

I swear to god i'm going to try and get the hang of it, for real.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu May 07, 2015 12:57 pm

So what kind of modular stuff have you got??
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 07, 2015 1:45 pm

I just have Suit's sea devils filter and one of his amps. I'd really only need a mixer, two oscillators, a MIDI / CV converter, PS and ADSR and i'd be in some kind of business :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu May 07, 2015 1:55 pm

JUSS DO EEEEEEEEEET!!! :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 07, 2015 4:09 pm

christianrock wrote:JUSS DO EEEEEEEEEET!!! :)

^^ This.

And don't come back until you do! With clips.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Previous

Return to KSS