Waves Element?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Waves Element?

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:40 pm

I had the demo and made some pretty cool blade runner sounds with it. I like it.. just going over a list of GAS items out of boredom. Out of the analog style VAs, I like it the best. What do you guys think?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Waves Element?

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:25 pm

or ultra analog? never heard about this one but pretty dang good..

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:17 am

I likka dis synth... Hehehe muahahahaha
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Hm. I haven't heard enough softsynths to know if this is good or not? :idk:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Everybody wants Diva and Monark these days for VA sounds. But there's lots of good stuff out there. I still like Massive a lot - tho what do I know, I haven't played with it in ages. But the VA oscillators that they introduced in version 1.1 sound really good, and all the wavetables it has make it very flexible. Good filters too, the traditional low pass is very good, and the acid filter is also awesome. Filter FM can get pretty interesting results. I don't find the need to look elsewhere for VA sounds in software format.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:01 pm

I gotta say we live in cool times for sure. :cool: But I tend to lean more towards the hazy, fuzzy ambient sounding synths. I'm liking ultra analog a lot and I've also been messing with Hybrid 3 and Serum. Both of those are very good digital synths as well..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:28 pm

I don't think there's a more ambient sounding synth than Absynth... I should explore it more. It sounds ridiculously good, especially in a mix.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:45 pm

y'all just need Diva. I'm gonna reinstall it on the new monster PC this weekend and see how it holds up!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:47 pm

You THINK you have a monster computer. Wait until Diva brings it to its knees and turns it into its beotch.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 pm

THAT'S what I wanna find out! I know how big the tears of pain my old PC cried when I fired up Teh Beotch, I'm curious to see how it compares.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 pm

I want to make a Diva + Fifty Shades comment, but honestly, I'm drawing a blank. Fifty shades of blank.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Oh hey look, another reason to get Diva: Actual KNOBS!!

http://www.synth-project.de/diva.html

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:46 pm

:eek:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:24 am

That's the problem with these infinite amount of soft synths: they're all good. At some point, you have to just pick a few and limit yourself to those. :)

Between my most used softies (Alchemy, Omnisphere, Diva) and the handle of others I use a bunch (Iris, Padshop Pro) -- plus the sample libraries I got... I feel like I'm kind of covered software wise. :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 01, 2015 2:59 am

selfinflikted wrote:I want to make a Diva + Fifty Shades comment, but honestly, I'm drawing a blank. Fifty shades of blank.

Just as well, it wouldn't live up to the hype.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri May 01, 2015 7:07 am

soundwave106 wrote:That's the problem with these infinite amount of soft synths: they're all good. At some point, you have to just pick a few and limit yourself to those. :)

Between my most used softies (Alchemy, Omnisphere, Diva) and the handle of others I use a bunch (Iris, Padshop Pro) -- plus the sample libraries I got... I feel like I'm kind of covered software wise. :idk:

yes and no. I feel there has been a great deal of processing and effort to really make soft synths sound good in a minimal mix

with logic x and 'stacks' much of the processing and layering is in the presets, same with logic x drum machine designer

we are def getting much higher level stuff in-the-box the last 5 years than before, which is why I haven't felt the need as much to rebuild my analog collection

my current gas fixation is on omnisphere 2

I was gassing hard on the ni s-kontrol as a trade-in for my novation sl37 mk1 but then I discovered that logic x and auto map are friends now (and eric persing used a novation mk1 in the omni 2 demo lol)
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Fri May 01, 2015 7:16 am

once I get home 2moro I will test said lpx automaps. if these are in fact quite good I will be gassing for a nord gbg2 bag for my novation sl37

I have medium gas for the uad apollo 2. I have a friend that works at the 'big chain' music store back home (think guitar centre). if I can trade-in my Apollo 1 for an Apollo 2 and it's cheaper or samesies as the Thunderbolt card ($700!) I will likely get an Apollo 2 soonish (and a swank gig bag for it lol)
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:30 pm

gregwar wrote:my current gas fixation is on omnisphere 2

Ah, yes. That came out yesterday, in theory. It goes without saying that I'll be upgrading to Omnisphere 2. :grin: Once Spectrasonics stops being "down for maintenance", that is. :lol:

DSP wise, I'm aware that certain codez in the last 5 years *have* significantly reduced previous issues with filters (notably resonance) and also have reduced aliasing issues with certain operations in the digital realm (eg sync). So yes, in terms of realistic analog simulations, you'd want something produced in the last few years (read: Diva, Ultra Analog VA-2, Monark, Synth Squad, and probably some others) that is built with these more modern codez.

I'm sure that there will be improvements in the future of course. But it's possible to have too many choices. I have Synth Squad and Diva at the moment. Synth Squad is one that kind of just sits in my plugin folder at the moment. Diva just sounds a bit better to me and thus I always reach for that one first. :smoke:

For some, it is probably nice to have an older one for *that* late 2000s ITB sound that still is all over the place. (I mean, Massive is still all over the Sound of Current EDM.) I really don't care for that sound that much (yes, I don't care much for the sound of modern EDM :lol: ). I have a couple of older purchases from that era, such as Tone2 Gladiator and FAW Circle, that also kind of sits in my plugin folder.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 01, 2015 5:56 pm

I need to revisit Diva and spend some time with it. What makes it attractive though is simply how much you get in one package.

I know this is a very general statement, but can someone explain to me why say on a synth such as impOSCar, you can do a filter sweet and get a huge rumbling freight train sort of sound out of it. But on some of these extra analog TM synths, it sounds more like an EQ being swept with a whooshing sound and a gentle "weeee OOOHhhhhh" near the Q.

I guess the filter is just much, much more subtle and I'm baffled how people can make some of the sounds they do. I was playing with the ultra analog demo and I had to, at one point, focus my eyes on the GUI to see what changed as I changed patches. It's beyond me how much of a dynamic change you can get by such imperceptible knob changes.

I mean I like them, synths like DIva etc, but I just seem to have trouble either getting the same results or understanding what's going on underneath it all.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Filters soft synth wise? It's all about the maths, dude. And I cannot even begin to understand that myself, much less explain it.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to KSS