Roland JD-Xa

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Roland JD-Xa

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:07 pm

And you know what else? I used to wonder why a few years ago, I started seeing keyboardists with their boards tilted AWAY from them. I realize that in a demo video such as this, it helps that the audience can see the controls and what the guy is doing. But what I mean is, keyboardists on stage playing with the board tilted away. So, I tried it for myself. It is So. Much. More. Comfortable for my arthritic and carpal tunnel syndrome-laden hands to play like that. I thought it was for "show" or whatnot, but there is actually a practical purpose. Just thought I'd pass this along, in case any of the rest of you have trouble with finger bones/tendons/general achiness like I do.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes, if you are standing up, it totally makes sense to tilt it downward a little bit.

I blame Derek Sherinian.

but it might also be Jens Johansson's fault...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Dang. That's a massive tilt.

I find these days that I literally cannot play through an entire song on my guitar, especially if there's barring involved. My left hand simply gives out. Like, stoves up so bad it hurts to move my fingers. It was a slow onset, and I've seen it coming for years, but this is the point at which I am at now. Thank god I'm not in a band anymore, or I'd literally have to quit. So, at least there's that. AND I can just track 30 second pieces of me playing guitar at a time for recording purposes. It's something.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:40 pm

That sucks, man.

I haven't had anything this bad but I had a couple hand injuries. When I had my A-80 at one point I exercised too much on the keys and couldn't play much (other than synth action here and there) for over 6 months. Another time it wasn't quite as bad. But I found out that cutting off caffeine helped a bit... and getting enough rest.

Best wishes to you and I hope it is something that will go away and get better :) :mojo: :prayers:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Eh. It won't go away without surgery. And even then it could come back. And I'm just not willing to forego the use of my hands during the long healing time from said surgery. So.. it is what it is. At least I CAN still play a bit, and I have no problems playing keys when my wrists aren't bent at sharp angles. :smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Also, this:

selfinflikted
Down in it

Previous

Return to KSS