Roland JD-Xa

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Roland JD-Xa

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 pm

I want to hear how this sounds. There should be some demos up later today. Found that Sweetwater has already posted this thing, with specs and priced just over $2k. Perhats not bad?

I kinda hate to admit it, but I'm excited for this board. I can't wait to hear it!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDXA

ETA: They updated the page with vids too. :smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Roland JD-Xa

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Yeah, I definitely like some of the initial vibe, particularly the pads were impressive.

Personally, when it comes to the analog section, from the initial clips I prefer what I've heard from the Prophet 6. I wasn't too impressed with the distorted dancey stuff they are doing in half of the demos, or the high resonant filter sweep. The filter did sound "warm" and all of that though.

The digital section through the analog filters, and the combo analog /digital patches, really sound cool to me. It's the old late-80s trick of beefing up your ROMpler / digital by layering with an analog... all in one box. (If only they had just two voices more poly...)

Roland's sort of pulled a hat trick to their haters recently by releasing a lot of, honestly, pretty neat stuff lately. (A modularish System 1 line! Analog Roland System Euro modules! And here's an analog poly... with *digital* too!)

I might be retiring the ol' D-50 in the studio in favor of one of these new synths in the distant future... seems like the choice of what to replace it with is going to be a bit tough.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:51 pm

That System 1 board seems cool for the sole function of being able to download whatever Roland VST you've been using on your 'puter to the System 1 and taking it on the road. That's kinda cool. Dunno how any of those new "portable" VSTs will sound, though.

Also, Soundwave, if someone had NO analog gear whatsoever would you consider this new Roland board a potentially good place to start? I hesitate to buy something like the Microbrute because it's so basic. At least with this Roland board, you've got not only the analog section, but also a butt load of digital effects, PLUS the digital synth section as well. I don't know why, but I remain EXTREMELY interested in this board, and I thought I had made my mind up on buying a Virus when the pockets allow, but now this board gives me pause.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:10 pm

It looks like it's a board so deep, you probably shouldn't get it unless you are committed on spending a lot of time on it.

I do like the specs.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:46 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Also, Soundwave, if someone had NO analog gear whatsoever would you consider this new Roland board a potentially good place to start?

Sure. Of the plethora of 2015 analog or hybrid poly demos that I've heard, for whatever reason, the Prophet 6 and the JD-XA are the two that impressed me the most. The JD-XA sounds like a candidate especially if you have no other strong digitals or plugins, or are intrigued by that hybrid concept of running digital through filters or cross-modulating etc.

The other analog / hybrids I've heard (Modulus 002 and 008, Futuresonus Parva), well, I haven't heard anything I've liked as much. Others may disagree. I will say it sounds like these have more "modulation" and sound sculpting if that's your thing.

Overall I'd really want to play these synth before dropping $2K+ on it, of course.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:39 am

Definitely want to play before considering purchase, yes. However, having said that, there are scant few stores locally that carry new and contemporary synths - really GC is about the only one. They will probably have this board in their stock when it drops, so I will try it out there. One great thing about Sweetwater, where, as an aside, I'd rather do ALL my music business, is they have an awesome return policy. So if I end up not being able to try it out, then there's always that and if I hate it I can simply return it.

This Roland board just sounds like creamy butter to me, from what little I've been able to hear of it so far - analog-wise. The only thing I'm sort of confused about is the adverts all say this board features Roland's SuperNATURAL™ technology, which I *thought* was technology related to acoustic samples. I haven't seen any demos of this board playing any pianos or organs and such. Perhaps they use this technology in their digital oscillators in that perhaps the oscillators are PCM samples? There's not enough information that I could find that satisfies my curiosity on this point.

Also, point two, why would this board not include everything the JD-Xi has? Not that it's a big deal, but you'd think they would've put all the drum kits, autotune bits, etc in the JD-Xa as well. These features seem to be missing, from what I've gleaned so far. And one wonders why, for a board of this price (I wouldn't care about the drum samples anyway, it just doesn't make sense to have NOT included them, if in fact they didn't).

At any rate, I'm still excited about it, and can't wait until a few more robust demos show up on the internets. The guy from Roland (that, by the way, looks like a healthier Gary Busey ((sp??))) that they used to do the demos REALLY didn't show off too much, which I assume is the plan to generate a bit more interest at this point. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate that "we got something cool to show you" demo song he did. Ugh, that's just the pits. I wanna hear more SOUNDS and not what Roland thinks the dub-step loving kids with pockets full of their parents' money want to hear.

:smoke:
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 am

christianrock wrote:It looks like it's a board so deep, you probably shouldn't get it unless you are committed on spending a lot of time on it.

I do not see this as anything other than a good thing. I do not want a basic board. It's no more deep than a Virus would be. Right?

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:26 pm

selfinflikted wrote:This Roland board just sounds like creamy butter to me, from what little I've been able to hear of it so far - analog-wise. The only thing I'm sort of confused about is the adverts all say this board features Roland's SuperNATURAL™ technology, which I *thought* was technology related to acoustic samples. I haven't seen any demos of this board playing any pianos or organs and such. Perhaps they use this technology in their digital oscillators in that perhaps the oscillators are PCM samples? There's not enough information that I could find that satisfies my curiosity on this point.

As far as I can tell, "Supernatural" is a Roland catch-all marketing term for Something Mysterious that somehow relates to some oscillator and filter modeling / DSP or computer mathematics. I haven't heard any acoustic sounds in the demo either, so presumably I think they at least mean the synth side of the Integra-7. They mention the digital library is Integra 7 library compatible. (I looked at the library list, and it's either an EDM oriented pack or sounds oriented around their past synths (from Jupiter 8 / Juno 106 to SUPERSAW.) Nothing acoustic at all. Hmm.)

Given the marketplace, I'm not surprised they are downplaying the acoustic modeling / PCM, but honestly that's certainly a part of hybrid that would be kind of cool. Hopefully they aren't making a mistake by creating a powerful synth platform, and then messing up the marketing by trying to appeal exclusively to the DubTrapElectroHouseTranceDance folks... I like me some pads, I don't need Supersaw (probably my Andromeda can do a "supersaw" better anyways :lol: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 pm

soundwave106 wrote:As far as I can tell, "Supernatural" is a Roland catch-all marketing term for Something Mysterious that somehow relates to some oscillator and filter modeling / DSP or computer mathematics. I haven't heard any acoustic sounds in the demo either, so presumably I think they at least mean the synth side of the Integra-7. They mention the digital library is Integra 7 library compatible. (I looked at the library list, and it's either an EDM oriented pack or sounds oriented around their past synths (from Jupiter 8 / Juno 106 to SUPERSAW.) Nothing acoustic at all. Hmm.)

This is what I'm thinking, too. The only "real" information I could find on the SuperNATURAL™ tech is related to acoustic samples. Apparently, according to Roland, they no longer use samples (piano, for instance) in the same way that other companies do - in that, most ROMplers will have sample "zones" for groups of keys on the keyboard, and two or three samples per zone for velocity purposes. Apparently, Roland isn't doing their sampling in the traditional way now, and are using some sort of MATH and PROGRAMMING SORCERY to never have to loop acoustic samples and never have to use multiple samples for velocity. They didn't really go into detail about *how* they manage this, and it sucks because the nerd in me wants to know!

soundwave106 wrote:Given the marketplace, I'm not surprised they are downplaying the acoustic modeling / PCM, but honestly that's certainly a part of hybrid that would be kind of cool. Hopefully they aren't making a mistake by creating a powerful synth platform, and then messing up the marketing by trying to appeal exclusively to the DubTrapElectroHouseTranceDance folks... I like me some pads, I don't need Supersaw (probably my Andromeda can do a "supersaw" better anyways :lol: )

I mean, EDM is kinda my thang - especially the harsher/grittier side of it all, but having said that, I like to write all sorts of music. So, yea, it's nice the board can obviously do EDM stuff, but for christsakes show me something *other* than that - I need to hear raw oscillators, pads, etc. I DON'T need to hear poor imitations of fucking Skrillex.
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:19 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:It looks like it's a board so deep, you probably shouldn't get it unless you are committed on spending a lot of time on it.

I do not see this as anything other than a good thing. I do not want a basic board. It's no more deep than a Virus would be. Right?

I haven't had a Virus but I think that while the Virus might be deeper as far as modulations and things like that, the basic sound is what it is. I think with the Roland you can tweak the basic sound more. Which in practical use is what you want, at least it's what *I* would want. Analog filter supersaw? That's a dream come true.

Oh and I think I'd rather get it from Sweetwater and try it at home, rather than try it out at a Guitar Center packed with kids playing guitar loudly. But that 's just me.

Oh and Supernatural is just the new name for COSM. They created new, much better sounding COSM algorythms and wanted a new name, is how I see it. But I could be wrong...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:29 pm

CR, just out of curiosity, is there a reason you never owned a Virus? For me, it's always been about price and never finding one I want on eBay on the rare occasions I did have the money. I would still very much like to have one, though. But I think it's going to be a battle royale for me between Virus and JD-Xa. For some reason, lately, I'm REALLY wanting to get into analog stuff, and this board seems perfect for me. And yes, digital supersaw + analog filter. ALSO using the "stack" function on the JD-Xa, you can have an analog "supersaw" + analog filter too. OR YOU CAN HAVE ANALOG SUPERSAW + DIGITAL SUPERSAW + ANALOG FILTER. Do want.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Yes, price. By the time I got into synths I was married and had very, very limited money to spend on gears. That was the main reason I got the Fusion, one synth to do it all for a very cheap price.
That's also why I won't get this JD-Xa.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Totally understandable. As bad as I sometimes still wish I had kids, it's times like this when it's ok that I don't. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Oh, and another question about the JD-Xa, you guys: The oscillators in the analog side -I'm assuming they aren't VCOs but rather DCOs, right?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:59 pm

I haven't seen that info anywhere in the specs. I assume DCOs, which should be fine.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Also, trying to parse useful information from GearSlutz comments threads is... ugh.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:59 pm

christianrock wrote: I assume DCOs, which should be fine.

Agreed, but just wondering.

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:56 pm

An new video I finded on teh Slutz:

Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Last edited by christianrock on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 pm

GAH! I forgot your sage teachings, oh wise one. But I fixed also. Thank you, Sir. :smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to KSS