Toobs

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Toobs

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 am

Or valves as they are called over here! :thu:

I'm wondering if you guys have tried Groove Tubes tubes before?

Just I'm pretty sure the 12AU7 tube in my Vox overdrive has had it, so I figured I'd try one that's designed to have a coloured sound when overdriven, rather than perhaps some of the cheaper alternatives like Russian military spec.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Re: Toobs

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:03 pm

I have, they are good but not greater than other chinese tubes in general, with the possible exception of some models. The 12AU7 would be the same level of quality as a Sovtek, Rubi Tubes, etc IMHO.
They do have a good QC (that's basically what you are paying since they don't make hardly any of the tubes) so at least you know you'll get a tube within a good set of specs.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm assuming that the 12au7 is the only tube in the unit, and i would even go so far as to guess that it only uses on side of the tube.

Anyway, I personally doubt that it would matter what brand you put in it. Others would surely disagree.

I'd love to know if there an LED mounted right behind it.

I once pulled about 40 of them out of a conn spinet. I still have most of them. If you were local, I'd give you a handful.
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 pm

I'd love to know if there an LED mounted right behind it.

There isn't, which isn't surprising if you've seen it work, there's only a faint blue glow that is almost invisible in daylight; I know what you mean though. It is the only tube in the unit.

I took the pedal apart earlier thinking I had some old Mullard ECC82s/12au7 sat around, but actually they're ECC83/12ax7 which aren't safe to swap out. They really make it hard to get to that tube!

They do have a good QC (that's basically what you are paying since they don't make hardly any of the tubes) so at least you know you'll get a tube within a good set of specs.

Ah yes, thanks for that, I remember someone saying that to me way back, well at least I am getting something reliable.

Cira late 90s I tried some Golden Dragon KT66's in my hi-fi amp, one of them arrived faulty and the buggers replaced it with a different rated KT66 even though I'd paid extra for matched pairs, then a 2nd one went after about 8 weeks, I think the base had come loose enough for a little air to get in, am glad I was there 'cos the anode lit up so bright you could see it through the other parts of the value, I don't even know how that is possible!

Damn chinese gear will get you every time. :eek:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:13 pm

lol and I just realised it's GC's in the Effectrode Phasomatic... it's been too long since I sat down with my gear! :thu:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 am

I don't think a low power toob like that should have blue glow. I suspect gassy innards, possibly from processing too much mariachi music.

Clav: Ur probably right about different toobs sounding pretty much the same in that type of application, starved plate or otherwise. But if I needed a new one, I would also ax about the options.

LED: I would hope VOX would be above such shens.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:50 am

I have a shit ton of old tubes from various organs and amps and whatnot, so I've always just started digging in the pile whenever I need to replace one. All of my amps are tube these days and I've never had any issues with using whatever was available. I hear a lot of talk about people retubing every year or two, but to me that's all crazy talk.

Then again I don't change my strings unless they break either so I guess I'm an outlier.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:28 am

ClavAnother wrote:I have a shit ton of old tubes from various organs and amps and whatnot, so I've always just started digging in the pile whenever I need to replace one. All of my amps are tube these days and I've never had any issues with using whatever was available. I hear a lot of talk about people retubing every year or two, but to me that's all crazy talk.

Then again I don't change my strings unless they break either so I guess I'm an outlier.
That got me thinking about what might happen with badly matched push pull output tubes. Probably not much, but maan, I'd hate to pay for a rplcmt Messa Boggie output xformer.

This guy speaks wisely, I think.

Broken strings: Of my associates, some guys never broke em, some broke em almost every night. Dif styles, I guess. I remember this one Yahoo that broke a BASS STRING every once in a while. yeow!
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:13 am

Mesa actually states that you void their warranty if you install anything but Mesa brand tubes.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:23 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:LED: I would hope VOX would be above such shens.

They're not.

ClavAnother wrote:I hear a lot of talk about people retubing every year or two, but to me that's all crazy talk.

Same on both counts.

I do have to mention that I have this Ibanez tube pedal that actually runs the tube relatively high - not as high as a real amp, but not starved either. The original chinese tube made it sound like crap, but putting in a Phillips tube made the pedal really sing, even if it lowered the distortion to more of a powerful overdrive sound. Which to me is better anyway.
So depending on the application, the tube does make a difference.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Return to KSS