ROland JDXI

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

ROland JDXI

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:53 pm

What do you guys think? :idk: A lot of speculation running up to the release and then... meh?

I'm a bit underwhelmed myself. Not the huge analog poly synth people were wanting and certainly not cute, analog and accessible as korg seems to be with their gear.

At least from the video, the filter seems nice, but I can't see that hardly making a synth in itself when there's so much new analog gear on the market now to run stuff through.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: ROland JDXI

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:18 pm

It sounds very unremarkable, for me nothing that's coming out of it in this demo sound distinct from what you could get from a bunch of other VA's

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:29 pm

I'd have one, if someone just gave it to me. Would not buy.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I'd have one, if someone just gave it to me. Would not buy.

^ Seconded. it does not give me GAS.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:46 pm

I actually think it sounds ok except for the effects. I bet running it through a dedicated effects unit and turning off internal effects would make a world of difference. The same was true of the SH-201. And I think the filter's not too bad.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:48 pm

christianrock wrote: The same was true of the SH-201.

Did buy that board. Do love it. Internal effects are crap. I like to run it through my POD :D
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:40 pm

the forum ate my post, i swear.

i was just going to say for me, I don't know what this does that can't be done on a micro station, juipter or something. I'm sure it contains trickle down technology too, but from what?

I mean I see this appealing to the person who would scoff at the prices of a ROMpler, yet likes the bells and whistles of a gimmicky, lower priced offering. Not that there's anything wrong with that, i know we've all bought them at some point.

I just think maybe i'm beyond that now. i was a long time ago as it was instant results and very tangible in all that wiring, routing and froin laven! hai um.. I'm more into sampling, processing and synth architecture than anything..

And you're right CR, there's lots of fun to be had with effects.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:53 pm

I think, if I had no boards or software, and was looking to get into synths, I may consider this offering from Roland. But the truth is, I already have boards that can make basically any sound this thing can, so that's why I'm not interested. If it offered something that I couldn't already do, I might consider it. I mean, it's not a POS or anything, after all. It's just.. not that great.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:10 pm

That's how I felt about the microkorg... but it's cute. So .. :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:20 pm

MetroSonus wrote:That's how I felt about the microkorg... but it's cute. So .. :idk:

As a previous owner of a Microkorg, I can say - for the price point it is (was?) incredibly capable. But, minikeys. Feh. So, I traded it in for an MS2000. Same sound engine, just a MUCH better panel layout. And, to this day, it remains my favorite synth :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:31 pm

I think they went 300$ ? The price is double that I think on the JDXI.. it does more, but it's not just a synth lurking in a tiny box either.

Yea I have soft spot for the MS2000 too. I remember when they came out, they were mind blowing. Although I admit the JP8000 looks cool, I never warmed up to it and I prefer the SH201
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:41 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I think they went 300$ ? The price is double that I think on the JDXI.. it does more, but it's not just a synth lurking in a tiny box either.

Yea I have soft spot for the MS2000 too. I remember when they came out, they were mind blowing. Although I admit the JP8000 looks cool, I never warmed up to it and I prefer the SH201

I do like the SH-201. But tbh, the filter isn't that great. Aliasing out the wazoo near higher frequencies. That said, the supersaw alone is worth the price of admission. And, that's really why I got it. That thing does strings REALLY well.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:07 pm

That's all I could see myself doing on it :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:12 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:I do like the SH-201. But tbh, the filter isn't that great. Aliasing out the wazoo near higher frequencies. That said, the supersaw alone is worth the price of admission. And, that's really why I got it. That thing does strings REALLY well.

So, the JDXI solves your problem with its analog filters, no? :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:13 pm

christianrock wrote:So, the JDXI solves your problem with its analog filters, no? :smoke:

Yea. BUT. A filter alone does not a good synth make (although, it certainly helps!). It just isn't different enough from what I already have to warrant GAS.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Oh, and

:smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Oh yeah and I just saw that it's only got 1 voice of analog filter. So, pass.

I'm still waiting for a supersaw+analog filter combo.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:20 pm

christianrock wrote:I'm still waiting for a supersaw+analog filter combo.

QFT
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 am

the virus c had a wicked super saw & moog filter emu combo, well suited for gated trance pads :love: :facepalm:

people always bitch & moan about Roland's new thin & weak synths but really they play well with others and tend to require less mixing work than say a mini moog rme or super jupiter

yes the bass was ridiculous on those but they were almost too huge for any kind of busy mix lol

I still really want the integra I think their super natural sounds are amazing plus all the old school rompler sounds would be cool.

instead I use dimention pro with a bunch of old emu, ensiniq, etc roms but it's almost the wrong era (80s as opposed to 90s romplers). either way the fantom g gets me by . . .
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:26 pm

So, apparently, there's a new flagship about to drop from Roland in the form of a "JD-Xa" which looks like the big brother to the JD-Xi. It's allegedly gonna be a 4-voice analogue crossover with digital PCM, plus this will have an analogue filter, as opposed to the Xi's digital one. I'm actually kinda interested in this board because it has a far more robust synth section with multiple programmable ADSRs instead of a just one with a few fixed positions. And by "kinda interested" I mean I am getting majorly bloated with GAS over this because it also looks cool as shit.

Anyone have any insider info on this board? When it'll drop, price point, etc?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to KSS