Simple / Cheap USB audio?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Simple / Cheap USB audio?

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for an audio interface? I was going to go with the Avalon cheapy.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-Des ... sound+card

Mainly I need the lines in, but it's got an XLR to boot, has volume knobs on the front and headphone.. :idk: can't ask for anything more in something so small & cheap.

Have any of you guys had experience with lexicon in this range? I know their alphas (I think?) always got good reviews.. if not, recommend a substitute?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Simple / Cheap USB audio?

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:44 pm

I have read your post, and do not have any useful suggestions. thank you.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:56 pm

You post has been noted and logged in our minutes.

If you'd like a transcription of today's post, please send a SASE to Kissmybutt, C/O Piss Off You Wanker Enterprises, 123 SeasemeStreet, Uranus, Mars 999666
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:14 pm

:lol: :smoke:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:16 pm

In that price range, I don't think I have any suggestions... would the Steinberg UR12 be too expensive?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:14 am

No... That's very comparable. Have you used it?

I'm just worried the lex will be ultra cheapo. Back in the day I had that 30$ behringer one that came free with something and it was freaking noizy as all get out
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:21 am

I have a Lexicon Alpha that I used for line out applications only for live gig stuff. The unit itself is fine when the drivers work. Was pretty quiet to me, there was no Behringer shit quality type issues at least for line out.

The last gig I had, which was a long time ago, the ASIO drivers that I was using did not work, which sucked. I switched to a backup JV1010 (old hardware, yay!). I haven't had a chance to diagnose why the ASIO drivers failed. (Because I won't be motivated to do so unless I get another live gig with softsynths, and live gigs are *not* a priority in my life now. :smoke: ) I'd probably make an effort to switch my VST host on that box (Xlutop Chainer) actually to something that would support standard Windows audio (because the Alpha is class compliant I think) and x64 (because >4GB RAM yay). But that's another story.

So, that's my Lexicon Alpha experience. :blah: CSB etc.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:08 am

I've got a Steinberg UR22 and am very happy with it. I would imagine the UR12 would have the same D/A converters (but am not sure). Mines been running several years now with no problems. Plus, if you don't already have DAW software, you get a copy of Cubase AI with it. Entry level drugs.
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:55 pm

I would go with the Steinberg, personally. I almost bought one once. It's pretty darn good to be so cheap.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:18 pm

as you guys are no doubt simmering with anticipation about why I would need an interface with a line in..

I think I'm going back to a small rack ROMpler setup. I've been trying to get into a vibe with the software and I just can't, at least for the ambient. Everything I've written so far has been using samples and recordings I've made from all of the synths. I've had and those have pretty much run out and I haven't been happy with anything I've done in software.

I like it, don't get me wrong, but when you're trying to approach your synth as an instrument, rather than as a tool, I find it lacking in this regard. :cry: especially for those pre-VST age keyboards and such.

I've got my TR kicking around still and want to pick two more or so racks. I will for now, go get this piece of crap out of the garage. It's not a bad interface, but the shape pisses me off. I can be a neat freak and I want something I velcro into (or on top of a rack nicely). I think they designed this with the intent that you'd throw it on the deksk back when everyone was gonna be droppin mad beats in coffee shops. Remember those everyone's goin mobile days? :facepalm:

MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:59 pm

MetroSonus wrote:No... That's very comparable. Have you used it?

I'm just worried the lex will be ultra cheapo. Back in the day I had that 30$ behringer one that came free with something and it was freaking noizy as all get out

I use a different Steinberg but I love the D Pres - they just sound great. When I saw that this one had a D Pre, even if it's just one, I didn't hesitate to recommend it :) As Mike said, the Steinbergs (Yamaha) really punch above their weight. And you probably don't need more than what this one offers anyway, you won't record multiple channels at a time. If you do, there's other (pricier) options...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:14 pm

I do think, in fact, that the next gear purchase I make will be the Steinberg interface. I do still want it.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:48 pm

christianrock wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:No... That's very comparable. Have you used it?

I use a different Steinberg but I love the D Pres - they just sound great. When I saw that this one had a D Pre, even if it's just one, I didn't hesitate to recommend it :) As Mike said, the Steinbergs (Yamaha) really punch above their weight. And you probably don't need more than what this one offers anyway, you won't record multiple channels at a time. If you do, there's other (pricier) options...

I'll need a line mixer for sure, but my method involves putting cat treats on the keys, letting live record and then going to get something to eat for a while and then going over the results. Pick a different patch / synth repeat :lol:

I don't think I've ever recorded more than once source at once. I'll go ahead and swing the steinberg then, as that's what I was hoping for, upwards quality but simple rather than taking a crap in a box and slapping a name on it.

That's for the input :thu:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:48 pm

RME 4 lyfe, yo. No, it's not cheap. :cry: HOWEVER: I have never, ever had a problem with the driver, or latency, or pops and clicks... NOTHING.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I'll need a line mixer for sure, but my method involves putting cat treats on the keys, letting live record and then going to get something to eat for a while and then going over the results. Pick a different patch / synth repeat :lol:

If you use the AS-606 you won't need the cats.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 pm

And where may I purchase this item? :love:

That's honestly my complaint about live. You can play audio in the clips, but you can't cross fade it like you would in a sampler. To me it's kinda not realizing that you have both peanut butter and chocolate. You have to use the simpler vst (their light weight sampler) and record audio or midi input for an hour.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:07 pm

christianrock wrote:Image

LOL! Oh man, we're such nerds. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Well crud, looks like RME doesn't sell a simple 2-input USB interface. SHIT.
Get whatever you want, man. NOTHING MATTERS ANYMORE
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:58 am

I've seen mbox 3s go pretty cheap second hand. I'm not sure if the avid drivers or asio4all are better (on pc) but my friends have been mostly successful with them.

my friend mixed one or two projects in pro tools but the mbox worked with live, fruity loops, reaper, etc

there's a variety of m-audio interfaces too, cheap esp 2nd hand but I haven't used many of them
gregwar

Return to KSS