Plugin Effects

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Plugin Effects

Postby Veracohr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 am

Hey, what do y'all use for plugin effects?

I'm looking at getting a new (Mac) laptop which will unfortunately mean I can no longer use TWO of my devices: my FW audio interface and my UAD-2 (ExpressCard) DSP. So I'm looking at getting a Thunderbolt audio interface and thinking about whether I should get a new UAD or not. If I did it would be the 2nd UAD version purchased only due to a computer upgrade (3rd version total), which kind of bugs me. I could get Universal Audio's Apollo with embedded UAD processing, and (in all honesty) way more audio channels and quality than I need. But for less than half that price I could get a new MOTU interface (same brand I use now), with again more audio channels than I need, and just give up on the UAD effects altogether.

Regarding the UAD, I've only bought a couple of effects beyond the standard ones that come with every device: LA2A and Dreamverb. If I'm really honest I probably don't need the UAD effects, especially with the extreme lack of music writing I'm experiencing right now, and could get by with the included effects in DP/Live. I can't really tell if I like the effects (included ones also) because they have any real benefits over others, or if I just use it because I paid lots of money for it. Plus I could really use that extra money that would be spent on the Apollo on more responsible things.

But the GAS!!
Veracohr

Re: Plugin Effects

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:29 pm

I mainly just use the plugins that come with Cubase. Just because.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:41 pm

i upgraded my daw in early 2013. i was set on getting an apollo so i went with a mac mini to help offset the cost. (the next year i got a refurb macbook pro). by staggering the purchases and only buying plug-ins when they're on sale or in a bundle i managed to get them cheaper.

i'm in a similar boat where i have way too many i/o (i only need 1 channel 99% of the time) and am constrained by time to do my music. i really like the uad plug-ins but there are many native ones that sound just as good.

one option would be to get an external pcie chassis:
http://www.akitio.com/accessories/thunder2-pcie-box

this is one i was considering getting. i've never used one or don't know about the build quality, fan noise, etc but it was at a much better price than most of them
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Veracohr wrote:Hey, what do y'all use for plugin effects?

What I use personally:
Reverb: Valhalla Shimmer, Vintage, 2CAudio Aeverb
Mixing & Mastering & Filtering: Fabfilter Pro-Q2, Pro-C, Pro-L; Cytomic The Glue, The Drop; Reaper default plugins
Misc: ERS Dimension D

That's pretty much the core with a few exceptions here and there. This does not include the plugins (such as Izotope's stuff, which I rarely use aside for glitch / noise correction) that mostly sit unused in the VSTPlugins folder. :facepalm:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:01 pm

I just use the ones that came with Sonar. :idk: I tried once to use my KSP8 as a "plugin", though. Sonar lets me route signals out and back as an insert plugin.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:04 pm

I use the ones in Komplete 8, Reaper and also Klunghelm DC8 (compressor).

I don't know all that much so I'm not sure how much of a step behind I am from the big players.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Some of the stock ones in Live, Korg's MDEX is cheap and quite handy. I"m using vallaha shimmer and I want to buy the retroverb sooner or later. I also need to need to invest in a better compressor and distortion plug in.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Veracohr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:17 pm

Now I'm thinking I should reconsider the Apollo Twin. At first I thought I wanted more I/O, but it's not that likely I'll come across many opportunities to record bands, and the Twin would suffice for my own needs. Back in December I did some quick & dirty recording for my girlfriend's band but that was the first recording I'd done in years (not including my own music).

The Apollo Twin is a good price, I'd get the UAD processing I want, it has (just barely) enough I/O. Plus it can be expanded at a later time via ADAT optical.

Ponderous...
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:46 pm

veracohr, has you any of your musical workings to post?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Veracohr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:16 pm

Nothing very recent, but I've got stuff here:

https://soundcloud.com/veracohr
http://veracohr.com/
Veracohr

Postby gregwar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 pm

just out of curiosity what is your current fw interface ?

with my apollo i use a thunderbolt to fw 800 adapter. it was like $30 or $40 (outrageous) but it was a lot cheaper than the $500 thunderbolt card option :facepalm:

also how many cores do u have on your current uad-2 card ? it may be worth it to put it in an enclosure for extra fire power as the plug-ins are so dsp hungry these days

the new uad 8.0 software coming in march(?) will allow you to mix & match uad-2 cards, apollo interfaces, etc even more easily than is possible now.

also, excellent tracks !
gregwar

Postby Veracohr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks man!

I have the ExpressCard laptop version which is a single core. It's powerful enough for what I do now so the dual core Apollo Twin would be more than sufficient. Sonnet makes an ExpressCard to Thunderbolt adapter but I'm not sure how well it would work. They have a list of compatible products and while the UAD isn't on there, an RME DSP card is, so it's at least possible.

My current interface is MOTU Ultralite (1st version I think). It's FW400 and those Thunderbolt-FW adapters are only FW800.

I'm thinking since I'll need to replace my interface anyway it would be to my advantage to get an Apollo and not bother trying to adapt my UAD ExpressCard to Thunderbolt. If I wanted/needed to in the future I could try one of those adapters and see if I could add it to the system. It's pretty much obsolete now anyway (do any new laptops still have it?) so no sense trying to sell it.
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Thanks for the link, Veracohr. Like the tracks. Nice work!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:30 pm

not 100% sure about the ultra lite (drivers, etc) but fw 400 is compatible with 800

you could get a 400 to 800 cable, the an adapter to Thunderbolt altho its a f*ck around technically this would work

I read it on the Internet it must be true !

*edit: I think my apogee ensemble 1 was fw 400 and I had a fw 400 to 800 cable. the key to this kind of daisy chaining (connecting multiple fw devices) was putting the slowest one at the end so the fastest ones could still have their normal speed

I'm pretty sure this is correct but it's been a few years since I tested this theory
gregwar

Return to KSS