New Gear 2015

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: New Gear 2015

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Pretty much.. They all suck.. :idk: look up hoover techno for more info
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:24 pm

LOL.

VAC = Velvet Acid Christ.

If you have access to the youtube, I make these suggestions:

"Dead Flesh"
"Fun with Drugs"
"Malfunction"
"Phucking Phreak"
"Satan Complex"
"The Dark Inside Me"
"Zix Zix Zix"

Basically, these are my favorite VAC tracks, and they are all in my opinion quintessential 90's dance tracks, with a slight tendency towards the "darker" or "horror" side of things.

I would linky, but yea.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:42 pm

I will investigate later, thank you for linkies. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Basically, these are my favorite VAC tracks, and they are all in my opinion quintessential 90's dance tracks, with a slight tendency towards the "darker" or "horror" side of things.

If you like your dance on the harder industrial side, that is. *nod*

Also, if I remember right, he was fairly active on Sonic State's The Gas Station "back in the day". (A long time ago, in an Internet far far away...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 pm

soundwave106 wrote:If you like your dance on the harder industrial side, that is. *nod*

Ah yes, indeed. I should have qualified. And perhaps even, if you are not into that kinda thing, I would find it hard to listen to those particular songs and not *at least* bob your head. They're terribly dance-y, and I love that.

soundwave106 wrote: Also, if I remember right, he was fairly active on Sonic State's The Gas Station "back in the day". (A long time ago, in an Internet far far away...)

I wouldn't know. But, he still puts out music, and the last album was actually "ok" but nothing he has done has really resonated hard with me since the 90's.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Also, I just rediscovered that song "Touched" from the 90's by VAST.

Anyone remember that? It had some kind of weird vocal sample that was very memorable.

Also, derail successful. I can go home feeling accomplished today. :smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Anyone remember that? It had some kind of weird vocal sample that was very memorable.

Yeah, I do. Haven't heard anything by him in ages. I had to look him up to see what he's doing now -- apparently still making music, but apparently more acoustic. Hmm.

That vocal sample (this song specifically according to the Intertubes) came from a Bulgarian traditional choir group which never seemed to be able to decide on a name to market itself under in the English world. (They market themselves as "Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares", "Angelite", or "Bulgarian Women's Choir", depending on which release). That ensemble has a *really* distinctive sound, and I have heard them sampled a fair bit over the years. I hope they're rolling in royalties. :cool:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:50 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Anyone remember that? It had some kind of weird vocal sample that was very memorable.

Yeah, I do. Haven't heard anything by him in ages. I had to look him up to see what he's doing now -- apparently still making music, but apparently more acoustic. Hmm.

That vocal sample (this song specifically according to the Intertubes) came from a Bulgarian traditional choir group which never seemed to be able to decide on a name to market itself under in the English world. (They market themselves as "Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares", "Angelite", or "Bulgarian Women's Choir", depending on which release). That ensemble has a *really* distinctive sound, and I have heard them sampled a fair bit over the years. I hope they're rolling in royalties. :cool:

Cool! Thanks for the trivia. I love that kind of stuff. :smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:17 am

Haven't posted an updated man cave pic in a while. Thought now that the dust is settled (on everything) I'd capture my little corner of the world and post it here.

midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:24 am

Hey Midi, how do you like the Kronos now that you've had it for a while?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 am

It looks as if he likes Arturias twice as much. And geetars are prefered FOUR TO ONE!

At least it appears that there is mandolin parity.

But srsly, nice setup, mang.

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Looks nice and cozy (complete with pink lava lamp) :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:17 pm

Midi has lots of nice toys!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:36 pm

I swapped out a Kronos 61 for the 88 a few months ago. When I do take a few minutes now and then to enjoy the studio, I find myself digging into the software more than the hardware. I do occasionally turn on the Kronos and lose myself, but I have not yet scratched the surface of what it'll do. If I feel the need to play around with one of its engines, I've got the Korg PolySix, MS-20, Mono/Poly, WaveStation, and M1 in software (Legacy Collection) so that satisfies my itch. The Arturia hardware does a great job of making the V-Collection much more tactile and gratifying too.

The only question that remains is ... Why me no synthing?
Oh yeah, school. :idk:

FWIW - the lava lamp is purple. Must be the light. :grin:

And the geetars (and mandolin) don't get used too often.
The Variax has got a POD X3 Live it's plugged in to as well.
And yes, there are socks stuffed in the back of my studio monitors.

Also have a Korg M3-73 in a box just out of sight. Trying to sell it to fund a MOXF6 and some better live speakers.
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

midinut wrote:And yes, there are socks stuffed in the back of my studio monitors.

:smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:43 am

Hey Midi... how do you like that M-Audio 88? I always thought I'd like a synth action 88. Or is it semi-weighted?
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:58 am

The M-Audio Keystation 88 is a cheap controller. It serves a purpose for me though. I use it live with a laptop and Cantabile (plus another Keystation 49 on top) and it just works. The action is not heavy, but not synth either. Now the Keystation 49 is definitely a synth action.You could call it semi-weighted I suppose . I would compare it to a Yamaha DGX Portable Grand in feel. I've got about 2 bills in both controllers plus about $400 in the laptop. When I play out live, I use a 4-port USB hub and actually come out of the headphone out on the laptop into a little Behringer MicroMixer and then into my Behringer B212a powered speaker (no tomato throwing please). It's a nice cheap lightweight rig that gets the job done. My only fear is that the PC crashes and I'm screwed. Plan is that once I sell off my M3, I'll pick up a MOXF6 and use that as my upper controller, but it will give me a good backup in case of crash. Lightweight also. Whole thing loads in and sets up in about 10 minutes. 5 if I hurry. And it fits nicely in the back of our Pathfinder. I like that the whole rig is less than a grand. I leave the good stuff at home. Now if the perfect gig came along and I could justify it, I'd bring out the heavy artillery. If it got stolen or something, I'd replace it fairly easily.
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:31 pm

I find the keystations pretty nifty.. I''ve had all but the 88. Yes, they'll do. But I also long for the touch of a fully weighted controller.

I figure one of these days I'll pick up an old digital piano to use as a controller.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Veracohr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Got a new Macbook Pro & Apollo Twin interface. No chance to use the Apollo yet though, too busy to work on musics. :(
Veracohr

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Veracohr wrote:Got a new Macbook Pro & Apollo Twin interface. No chance to use the Apollo yet though, too busy to work on musics. :(

Congrats... and hopefully you'll get to work on music SOON ! :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to KSS