Winter NAMM 2015

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Winter NAMM 2015

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:31 pm

I think it would be hilarious to find out that some of these controller videos used software for the sounds, when they show a guy sequencing a 303 or something :lol:

I have a feeling they did though, it's all post production anyway. :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 am

Got a woody for the P6 as well. Also hope to upgrade Omnisphere to O2. $250 is kind of steep, but Eric's stuff has always been worth it. I've got Trilian; but alas, do not own Stylus RMX. Sledge 2 has my attention as well. NAMM started on my birfday and it has been entertaining to say the least.
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:51 am

Sledge 2 !?!?

How much is omni 2 outright? I didn't happen to see a street price.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:40 am

You know, execept for the new P6 and a new raft of modules (all hail the modular revolution, btw), does this NAMM strike anyone as particularly thin and lackluster? I know we've been saying for the last few years, "gee, that's it?" but this year seems really... LIKE NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:You know, execept for the new P6 and a new raft of modules (all hail the modular revolution, btw), does this NAMM strike anyone as particularly thin and lackluster? I know we've been saying for the last few years, "gee, that's it?" but this year seems really... LIKE NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED.

They're all thinking

"Ya know... since Teh ElectricPuppy won't come back, it all seems... pointless. Maybe we shouldn't have charged him 12 bux for that hotdog..."
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 am

I am still intrigued by the Korg recreation of the ARP Odyssey. Part of me wants to wait and see what/if Behringer comes out with first.

Buy yeah, I agree there wasn't a lot of luster.

BTW, Omnisphere full price is $480.
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:55 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:You know, execept for the new P6 and a new raft of modules (all hail the modular revolution, btw), does this NAMM strike anyone as particularly thin and lackluster? I know we've been saying for the last few years, "gee, that's it?" but this year seems really... LIKE NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED.

What? Are U Not Excited By NEW KRONOS that is... like the previous one, with "improvements" like NATURAL WOOD SIDE PANELS? Nord Electro 5, which... seems almost like a Nord Electro 4? Yamaha not releasing any new synth for yet another year? :lol:

I guess it's just a natural consequence of the hardware workstation market maturing / dying / etc. and popular music for the most part moving over to dance / hip hop genres. (Which is why the P6 should sell fantastic.) A lot of people in NAMM reports for instance mentioned really liking the Arturia Beatstep Pro, which really does sound like a fantastic rethink of the Beatstep for the dance music crowd. (I wonder if there's enough dance artists that do want to bring back the "live PA" of old? If so, there's still gaps in performance sequencers IMHO for that purpose.)

The software market also seems to have largely has bypassed NAMM. Spectrasonics is a rare software company that actually announces during NAMM.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:18 am

This probably won't change the world, but I think it's neat:

Roger actually plays it @ 3:00. Dude's got some chops, too.

Moar info & demos.

At first, I thought "Smooth surface? No haptic feedback? You'd never be able to play it without looking." But, after a closer look, I think each 'note' is a slightly raised square, kind of like one of those rubber chicklet querty deals. With a little practice, you could probably do a very good steel pedal guitar with this.

I predict that this sort of technology will eventually shatter the synthesized bassoon barrier.

And, ONE MILLION EXTRA POINTS for this:

Open Source software
We realize that creative musicians will want to use LinnStrument in a variety of unexpected ways, so we're releasing the entire software as open source, enabling you to customize everything. It's based on the popular ARM-based Arduino Due Platform. To modify the code, simply download and install the free Arduino IDE, then download the LinnStrument source code from our repository, modify it and load it into your LinnStrument in order to use your new feature. We suspect that shortly after release, a number of creative new features will be created by innovative users and posted on the net for all to use.

But minus 900,000 points for the price: $1500.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:56 am

I'm excited that my Kronos can still be upgraded to the latest incarnation.
That Roger Linn controller looks intriguing as well. Pricey doh.
I appreciate the Omni 2 features and will probably upgrade, but was really hoping Spectrasonics was going to announce a ROMpler with bread and butter/meat and potato sounds. If anyone could do it, they could do it best. Oh well, maybe someday.
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:26 pm

The problem with the alternate controller market is the limited scope (hence the $1500 price, which I suspect partially reflects lower demand). You don't need a Linnstrument to make dubtraphiphophousestep type DJ music; the scope of the market is limited to people who, say, want to synthesize bassoons. And you know what happens if you show up on the dance floor and demonstrate your perfectly synthesized bassoon: the audience will get puzzled and go "well, where's the drop?!"

Yes, though, each note is a raised rubber thingy. And the Linnstrument does have a Github. Yay.

A somewhat more affordable option might be the Infinite Response guys, who are trying to pull off something more affordable after VAX77 got discontinued. If they pull their Kickstarter off (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... controller) and get their ducks in a row, you can possibly has a 4 octave poly aftertouch capable keyboard for $550 (with, er, some assembly required) next year. They are also planning a massive 8 octave version. :eek:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:45 am

soundwave106 wrote:A somewhat more affordable option might be the Infinite Response guys, who are trying to pull off something more affordable after VAX77 got discontinued. If they pull their Kickstarter off (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... controller) and get their ducks in a row, you can possibly has a 4 octave poly aftertouch capable keyboard for $550 (with, er, some assembly required) next year. They are also planning a massive 8 octave version. :eek:

That was an enjoyable vid. This will be big, if they can do it for the target price. Eight octaves of escapement and poly aftertouch for under $1k. Some assy required is fine with me...

But I'm not going to kick in before they prove themselves.

With their history, they could easily fold.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:With their history, they could easily fold.

(This iz new angry baby right?)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:36 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:With their history, they could easily fold.

(This iz new angry baby right?)

Wooo EP has shot you down. Linky no worky.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Nuts, we'll just have to substitute another angry baby hotlink in then.

BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:10 pm

christianrock wrote:Wooo EP has shot you down. Linky no worky.

wat? Linky work fine, check your internets. :smoke:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Today it worky finey. Yesterday it linky screwy.

Back on topic - I really like the concept behind the Arturia Beatstep. Love the dual CV output sets. I think Arturia gets it - more than companies that used to make analogs :cool:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 pm

yea that looks totally tender..
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:45 pm

MetroSonus wrote:yea that looks totally tender..

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:51 pm

I think that must be whipper-snapper speak. Like:

Totes adorbs (totally adorable).

If it is, I will bitch slap you, Metro.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 pm

The only man that can say tender and be cool is Elvis.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to KSS