Run PC VSTs on Mac?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Run PC VSTs on Mac?

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm kinda miffed... I found out that a couple VSTs I wanted (mainly 4th party cheap ones) only run on PC.

have any of you mac guys done that yet? I know there's a few wrappers or converters or something out there, such as the link below. Guess I'll have to give it a shot but wanted some pointers.

Thanks!

http://diaphone.blogspot.com/2010/12/11.html
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Run PC VSTs on Mac?

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Huh. Seems to me that since a) VST is a standardized interface, and b) Macs and PCs all run Intel now anyway, that VSTs shouldn't need much in the say of "shims" in to get the same binary to run on both.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Well my first impulse was to drop the DLL into my vst folder. :idk: You'd think that's howd it'd work, since it was a big deal for Macs to run VSTs a while back. I dont think that's the case though from what i've been reading.

I dunno.. it's confusing.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:20 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Well my first impulse was to drop the DLL into my vst folder. :idk: You'd think that's howd it'd work, since it was a big deal for Macs to run VSTs a while back. I dont think that's the case though from what i've been reading.

I dunno.. it's confusing.

I can see how a VST would depend on OS-specific features while still providing the standard VST interface. Like, I haven't the foggiest idea how a VST provides UI... if they call through a VST interface, then it should be portable, but if the UI stuff is OS-specific, then, yeah, a VST for a Mac won't work on a PC. Derps. I wonder how much overhead an adapter would require?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 am

Sadly, the file format is altogether quite different, actually, because different OSes and compilers want to handle extensions / shared libraries different ways. VSTs on the PC use Dynamic Link Libraries for extensions. Macintosh uses a concept called an application bundle instead.

Generally speaking, a lot of plugins are written in a cross-platform C++ toolkit such as JUCE these days. So I'm betting that even the graphics code between each platform is very similar in more modern plugins. You still have two different compilers and two different ways of packaging extensions though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:49 am

there's a couple 'windows on mac' virtualization softwares like parallels and fusion.

I've run fruity loops that way (really choppy) and a basic vsti player with z3ta+

the problem was to sequence anything from logic I needed midi over lan which was $200 (jacks, sound flower, etc didn't seem to work).

another option is to instal X11 and wine. this allows some basic windows programs to run. there's wine bottler and cross over that makes them appear to be native Mac apps

the best option at the time was v machine:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ ... v-machines

you can install vfx and load some windows vsts in it on a mac. it took a while for me to get it working but then I was using synth1 and op-x pro (killer jump patch !)

it's been a few years since I tried any of the above. it might be easier now or not depending on os version(s), etc. the cake was mostly a lie and now there are a lot of similar plug-ins on both platforms altho pc generally has the edge on cool free/cheap vsts
gregwar

Return to KSS