New Gear Thread 10/14

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: New Gear Thread 10/14

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:52 am

I have the opportunity to buy a Guzheng really cheap. Like $20 cheap. Should I can haz it?

Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Of course! And report your findings. :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 pm

I had to buy a new vidya card this weekend. Does that count as new gear?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Kinda I guess :idk:

:lol:

is it like a two PCI slot monster with deual heatsink and a fan the size of a window unit ? :love:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 pm

MetroSonus wrote:is it like a two PCI slot monster with deual heatsink and a fan the size of a window unit ? :love:

No, but it's kinda fitting you asked that. I *occasionally* like to play World of Warcraft. Graphics-wise, it's not a very cpu/gpu heavy game. I had an NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX in my machine. A really nice card that was probably overkill for WoW. Anyway, Sunday night after I booted up WoW to play momentarily, my computer blue screened. After some investigation, I realized that my video card had fried itself because the fan went out. It got so hot that the sticker on the fan casing had curled up because the glue had melted.

So, off to Best Buy (the ONLY local store that even comes close to selling computer parts) I went Monday morning. Of COURSE, the only comparable cards they stock are either the sub-$100 POS cards, or the gargantuan $250+ cards that take up like 5 PCI-E slots and are rated for nothing less than a 500w PSU.

So, I had to go with a bobo NVidia card because my tower won't accommodate such large "nice" cards, nor will my 375w PSU. Why didn't I just order online? I'm going to get a new computer either around or just after Christmas, so this one will just hold me over until that. And no, the card I bought won't really run WoW - that's how horrid a card it is.

R.I.P. NVidia 9800 GTX. You will be missed.

Since I'm not allowed to :cry: , I'm hoping AK will cry for me.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Dammit. Now I have "Dont cry for me, Argentinaaaaaaaa" in my head. THANKS A LOT
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Anytime, teh Pupster! :like:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:33 pm

re electribe I'm curious about it but prolly not enuf to buy one over say the newish roland tr-8

the new mpcs *are* actually daw plug-ins with controllers (like maschine) afaik. I had an mpd 32 drum pad controller. altho I tried many times to get into it thinking it would make things easier it really didn't at all for me

I think a lot of daw music is 'grid' oriented but with nudges, shuffle, swing, and midi grooves applied to it. I have all these midi grooves of different drum machines (and stupid amounts of drum samples).

in logic you just load the midi groove patterns into the project then when you quantize u can decide if u want an mpc shuffle, linndrum, dmx, etc

hardware drum machines seem so limiting unless it was a wild drum synth like ultra beat. I've been tempted by elektron, roger linn, jomox, and even newer ones like the rhythm wolf, euro modular drums, etc.

I think it would make my work flow more complicated from start to finish and it's hard enuf to finish tracks :facepalm:
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:29 am

gregwar wrote:I think a lot of daw music is 'grid' oriented but with nudges, shuffle, swing, and midi grooves applied to it. I have all these midi grooves of different drum machines (and stupid amounts of drum samples).

It is; my comment however was more in, er, what shall I call it? The "decorations".

For whatever reason, songs along the lines of this (Note: NSFW language, #8 Billboard Hot 100 ATM, go figure) seem to be a pretty typical template of a lot of popular hip-hop at the moment. There's a lot less reliance on sampled grooves and a lot more programmed drum machine and synth stuff. While the basic groove here certainly is pure quantized grid type stuff, those random 808 cymbal "decorations" I think aren't as fitting towards that paradigm, not that they aren't quantized too. But my thought was that editing that type of stuff on hardware drum machines would be a royal PITA. Whereas in FL studio you'd just copy the groove and randomly drag your mouse over the "808 hihat" grid line, no problem. :lol:

DAW chopping around, parameter automation, etc. is more obvious in the more electronica-oriented "trap" (I like to call it "trapstep" since it's often the same crowd as the dubstep folks). Such as say... this (a trap hip hop remix, lyrics also NSFW) or this (pure Euro trap-tronica-step-something, lyrics actually safe for w... woops, there's one F-bomb, never mind :lol: ) or something. Same with the dubstep artists around and the sixteen million genre variants.

Even when the beat of electronic dance music is four on the floor, well, half the time, it's become a pop song, with all the studio edits you expect from a DAW oriented production.

Obviously the basis of all of this often *is* a quantized grid beat. It's not like dance music is made of polyrhythms. :lol: And obviously I'm cherry picking the "popular" stuff, not the "underground" type stuff or even the "we used to call this alternative but now it's 'indie music'" stuff that is relatively popular. But all this stuff is so DAW oriented these days, hardware probably has to help the workflow, not hinder it.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I was teh thinking. About teh Electribe.

Maybe the next step from Korg will be to build a super-Electribe that combines the KingKorg engine with a ROM engine and few Volca oscillators and filters on another engine.

Gosh, just from thinking about it...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:58 pm

you know... korg has been the only one who hasn't released a full feature 'box.

yea there's no reason they couldn't build in king korg stuff with ROM stuffs. Like fully.. like the MC series or RS series.. :idk: been saying it for years..
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Korg continues to lead the Lilliputian Revolution:

Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:35 am

But then, they bring the Brobdingnagian Bodacity too, eh?

(and One Million Innernets to me for using both Lilliputian and Brobdingnagian in one day).
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Well not so good news is my new computer didn't show up yesterday morning, gonna sort that out with the b*ggers tomorrow, may see if they can do a weekday delivery as I have a few days leave, failing that it's be next Saturday am.

Better news is that the Memotron and BBD Dealy module are back with me and both working. :thu:

I have an installment of Modular Arse in the works for the latter, when I can find my bloody strap on.

Former is working although the new pot is a lot looser than the old and doesn;t have the centre and end detents, not complaining too much as it's working again.

Looks like instead of spending my leave playing Bioshock Infinite and Wolfenstein New Order, I have an unexpected opportunity to clean the house. :facepalm: and look for that bloody strap on.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby midinut » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:38 am

I haz a new lava lamp in the studio ... does that count?

Finally got around to replacing the one that broke back 3-4 years ago.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:54 am

I got this:

I'm pretty sure I payed the lowest ebay price I ever seen.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:33 am

:idk: You needed a replacement waterwheel...?

:grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:02 pm

it's a 1890's vacuum turbine and a flash gordon secret decoder and singal watch. geez..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I got this:

I'm pretty sure I payed the lowest ebay price I ever seen.

A cookie cutter, just in time for Christmas!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:08 am

:facepalm: Silly mens, it's a pink towel. Teh seller put that other stuff on just to hold it down for pictoring.

Here's another of his pics, it's even worse you can barely see the towel:

Next I've got my eye on a nice Navajo blanket, whaddya think?

Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to KSS