New Gear Thread 10/14

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: New Gear Thread 10/14

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:06 pm

I was also impressed with the new Electribe. So far, this one seems to offer the most in terms of synth programming. Nearly all to date only have PCM choice and some basic attack and release control. The filters and all weren't 100% that great either.

This does indeed look promising..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:12 am

Well said my brother. Can I get an Amen?
midinut

Postby midinut » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:17 am

So does the Electribe have ALL the features of the KK? Even if you can only access it in software, I'm okay with that. I'd probably use it more as a VST anyway where the file would contain all my tweekage. I guess he easiest way to know would be if you can load KK patch files into the Electribe. That would mean the core structure is the same. I keep hearing the word "derived" from the King Korg, not "exactly" like a King Korg only cheaper. It seems from what I read it has even more waveforms to choose from than the KK does. It has ALL the filters which is great, but I want it all, and I want it now! Just kidding. Maybe?
midinut

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:20 pm

The new Electribe is relevant to my interests, indeed.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:56 pm

http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_E ... Manual.pdf

^ manual. There's nothing helpful in it.. other than setting up parts and performances. Nothing about editing. Either it's not included, or a more depth manua lmay or may not be forthcoming.

I hate to say it, but I don't think there's much of a difference between this and say the EM1. It looks pretty much the same & the EMX isn't much different. I'm sure the new one contains the arpeggiator etc. but the basic programming seems more or less unchanged. Pick your wav, adjust the attack, release... add filter etc.

The biggest difference may be in the quality of the effects, wavs and filters, not to mention that I am 99% sure it's polyphonic. Kinda disappointing.. Although I'm sure at some point they will release a mini keys microkorg style KK at some point..

MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:24 pm

It looks like some kind of cross between a Tempest and a Radias. Not sure if want...
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I had a lot of fun and a really good time with my EM1. If the price comes down, yes. If not, not any time soon.

I think on the whole, we need to learn more about the wavs, structure etc. AFIAK, this is supposed to me more synth orientated and I think.. it even includes supersaws.

The guy in the video totally wrocked the box... but........

Every music production electribe I've seen, after you get over the initial aww yeas, everything you make on it sounds the same, unless you want to do that sort of banging chord house music they tend to market these things to.

Otherwise, they're neat to mess with, if they're cheap enough.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:47 pm

If it can do different time signatures (say, 5/4 or 6/8), then it would be easier to break the 'Tribe out of the House pigeonhole. But, agree, I think most of the units sold are doomed to a life of 4/4 128 BPM. ooontz ooontz ooontz ooontz
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:49 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:If it can do different time signatures (say, 5/4 or 6/8), then it would be easier to break the 'Tribe out of the House pigeonhole. But, agree, I think most of the units sold are doomed to a life of 4/4 128 BPM. ooontz ooontz ooontz ooontz

And just what, pray tell, is wrong with ooontz ooontz ooontz? ! ?

:mad:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Well... nothing. :grin: I'm just saying, that SOMETIMES it's nice to do something else.

oontz pidda bow oontz oontz, oontz pidda bow oontz oontz
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Ok, I'll grant you that. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:12 pm

:mad: pidda bows will NOT be tolerated and will result in mad faces :mad: :mad: :mad:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:19 am

:cry:

aw crap
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:31 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Well... nothing. :grin: I'm just saying, that SOMETIMES it's nice to do something else.

oontz pidda bow oontz oontz, oontz pidda bow oontz oontz

I can't count that there onomatopoetic phrase the way I know you intend it to be counted. I can't help putting a 1 beat rest after the comma, rendering it as 6/8. Maybe if you said

Boom tiddy rump pump pump...

Nope, still comes out even.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:33 am

selfinflikted wrote:And just what, pray tell, is wrong with ooontz ooontz ooontz? ! ?

Nothing, except I can't visualize ravers waltzing.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Nope, still comes out even.

Usually, when I've encountered quintuple time, it's really a compound. Like, that 5/4 oontzy phrase would be a waltz 3/4 type beat ("oontz pidda bow") with an appended 2/4 ("oontz oontz").

Never encountered an electronic dance song in 5/4. You more find that in classical music ("Mars, the Bringer of War" from the Planets is 5/4), jazz (Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" is 5/4), or folk music (5/4 is a pretty common Greek folk music time signature).

5/4 is entirely danceable, though, I've seen people do so at Greek folk festivals. So who knows... Electribe, Opa! version? ... probably not...
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:34 pm

And you have no opinion of said instrument? merely the conversational extraction of discrete time signatures?

man your'e really earning that labcoat :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Nothing, except I can't visualize ravers waltzing.

Needs moar ecstasy?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:And just what, pray tell, is wrong with ooontz ooontz ooontz? ! ?

Nothing, except I can't visualize ravers waltzing.

THIS I want to see. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:48 pm

MetroSonus wrote:And you have no opinion of said instrument? merely the conversational extraction of discrete time signatures?

I do not make ooontz ooontz music so I do not need Electribe.

And even if I did make dance music... most of the top dancefloor genres these days is not oontz oontz. Dubstep, trapstep, electrohousestep... they all rely heavily on DAW automation. Usually the type that you manually program in. Often the beat is not so friendly to the quantized grid paradigm.

Hip hop as well has seriously moved towards trap-oriented production with its 808 cymbal trills (again not good for quantized grids) and even for productions that aren't this way, I've heard that the MPC type tools -- the classic staple of hip-hop -- has well been on the way out in favor of the DAW. It's basically the hardware maker's dilema. What can you offer that Ableton, FL Studio, etc. cannot?

So, this new Electribe is probably good for two things. The first is the dance genres that *are* grid oriented, that desire a flexible live performance tool. (Just because the 'steps dominate dance doesn't mean straight up house and trance have disappeared after all). The second is the folks who want to create patterns off the computer that they can later mix around with Ableton. The Ableton export option to me is what is most interesting about the box, elsewise I'd be tempted to dismiss it as a somewhat retro toy. :tounge:
BC | SC
soundwave106

PreviousNext

Return to KSS