Maschine

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Maschine

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:49 pm

So.

I've been eyeballing Maschine for a while now, but I have The Fear, namely, that I'll get it, poke at it for a bit, and then just go "meh." CR, you even mentioned just recently that you haven't clicked with it like you had hoped.... could I get you to expand on that a bit, sir? Is it something you can put your finger on?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Re: Maschine

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Well I think it has to do with the fact that I like creating patterns, and then putting those patterns together, and that is how I record songs. It has some limitations when it comes to that.

If you put together patterns for live performance, or if you play the same pattern over and over just muting and unmuting parts, I think it works fine.

But when you change patterns, for example, you can't have the notes from the last pattern just finish ringing into the new one. The effects are also cut off.

Maybe Maschine 2.0 fixes that, I haven't checked.

Also, it just doesn't inspire me to sit down and record suff, like my old Zoom drum machine and tape recorder did.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:00 pm

christianrock wrote:But when you change patterns, for example, you can't have the notes from the last pattern just finish ringing into the new one. The effects are also cut off.

Eww. That's a deal-breaker. Thanks for the insights, man. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:17 pm

That's a common complaint on (hardware) groove boxes too. You have to stick with your set of patterns or be really clever bout getting them to lead into one another. If not....

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Yeah but it's 2014 mang.

You'd THINK they'd have things like audio tracks and seamless transition by now.

I mean, the transition thing with the effects, I think, was already in the MC909...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 pm

MPC doesn't have this problem. Just sayin'. :grin: 'Course, it doesn't really have built-in effects, either, but at least it doesn't chop off sounds when switching patterns.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:53 pm

...which might be another reason why MPCs are so popular.

If you got the MPC, why aren't you out there making beatz, mang. :angryoldmanyelling:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Yeah but it's 2014 mang.

You'd THINK they'd have things like audio tracks and seamless transition by now.

But the MPC is a robust piece of computer hardware.

do key boards with sequencers suffer from this problem too?

I wanna say it's not so much a bug as it is a limit of the RAM and the amount of buffer it can give things like effects. Maybe trying to load patterns / synth presets and effects is too taxing on the CPU / RAM while it's still processing tails. I wonder how the new korg electribe will hold up?

Or I could be wrong and it's simply a "stop all" or "clear all" code that someone dropped in there cause they thought, gee why would anyone ever chain patterns on a BOX MADE FOR CHAINING PATTERNS.

:mad:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:40 pm

christianrock wrote:If you got the MPC, why aren't you out there making beatz, mang. :angryoldmanyelling:

This is an excellent question. I have no excuse. :cry:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:06 pm

MetroSonus wrote:But the MPC is a robust piece of computer hardware.

do key boards with sequencers suffer from this problem too?

I wanna say it's not so much a bug as it is a limit of the RAM and the amount of buffer it can give things like effects. Maybe trying to load patterns / synth presets and effects is too taxing on the CPU / RAM while it's still processing tails. I wonder how the new korg electribe will hold up?

Nah, I think you're right. I think it's just a function of the hardware limits. Which is SUPER dumb, considering ...

...gee why would anyone ever chain patterns on a BOX MADE FOR CHAINING PATTERNS.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:26 pm

I think the Kronos was the first workstation that had true effects transition from sound to sound and pattern to pattern.

I don't know who else followed suit.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:34 am

Me thinks Kurzweil was doing that long before Korg did it with the Kronos. I may be incorrect cause I've never owned a Kurzweil.
I seem to remember some Ensoniq boards even did that IIRC. Of course this was many years and many brain cells ago. As you were.
midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Virus can transition between patches seamlessly, but I don't think it counts since it's not really a workstation or groovebox.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:57 am

or the fact that it's got like 10x the processing power of most synths either..

I've had people tell me it can't handle the switches though. I"m not sure why they would say that as experience seems to speak to the contrary. Especially in the hey day of the A&Bs. It was common to use maybe 4-6 channels with a groove box sequencer and have another 4-6 ready to swap out with.
MetroSonus

Return to KSS