Nord Lead A1

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Nord Lead A1

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:38 pm

When did this come out? I usually keep a thumb on what Clavia is doing, and knew about the Nord Lead 4, but did not know about this. I LOVED the sound of my Nord Lead 2x, but I sold it because it had a few, in my opinion, MASSIVE oversights that needed to be corrected (not least of all was the total and complete lack of ability to sync arps and LFO's to the midi clock. w.t.f.?). With what limited reading I've done on this board, many of the issues I had with the older Nord Lead 2x seem to have been resolved. Anyone heard any demos? Thoughts? Comments or testimonies? Apple pies?

Last edited by selfinflikted on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Nord Lead A1

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:12 pm

I wanna say there was some buzz about it that it's the 4 but cheaper somehow? I recall people being happier about the A1 and calling it Nord's apology or something because the 4 wasn't well received.

I posted a few articles that said it was the same engine. So ... :idk:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:24 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I wanna say there was some buzz about it that it's the 4 but cheaper somehow? I recall people being happier about the A1 and calling it Nord's apology or something because the 4 wasn't well received.

I posted a few articles that said it was the same engine. So ... :idk:

There's a blog?! ;)

Maybe the local Guitar Center will get one in so I can try it out?

Damnit, I hate GC.

I want to open a keyboard shop here in Mobile. It would fail, but there's literally nowhere else to buy a good synth here, much less test one out. Sure, GC has MicroKorgs and junk, but that doesn't really cut it. There are one or two mom and pop type music stores here, but their "synth sections" are really just stage piano sections. :(
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:09 pm

So I guess the difference is that the other Leads were "virtual analogs", while this here A1 thingie is "analog modeling"? Or maybe it's actually just steak sauce.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:15 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:So I guess the difference is that the other Leads were "virtual analogs", while this here A1 thingie is "analog modeling"? Or maybe it's actually just steak sauce.

I thought analog modeling and virtual analog were synonymous?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Well, I wonder, otherwise, why the emPHAsis on "analog modeling" and calling it an A1 rather than a Lead 5?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Well, I wonder, otherwise, why the emPHAsis on "analog modeling" and calling it an A1 rather than a Lead 5?

Just a guess, but didn't the Lead 4 just come out last year? A new Lead 5 seems too soon for those who just invested in the 4. Who knows, but I am a Clavia fan, so this board might be something to have GAS over.

I will definitely be checking out some demos on the Tubez tonight after supper. I will post them here if I find any good ones :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:10 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I will definitely be checking out some demos on the Tubez tonight after supper. I will post them here if I find any good ones :)

Splendid, sir, splendid. :cool:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Phplendid?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I wanna say there was some buzz about it that it's the 4 but cheaper somehow? I recall people being happier about the A1 and calling it Nord's apology or something because the 4 wasn't well received.

I remember too that some people weren't happy about the price and how it looked like a stripped down NL4. You can't please everyone. :horse:

I remember personally being surprised because I thought the dedicated VA market was dead, and Nord was making most of its moolah from stage piano / organ type instruments... :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:52 pm

yea me too. It was this and a few comments I heard about access that really surprised me.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 am

I did find one or two demos on YouTube that were ok, but I realized as I was looking that this board isn't out yet. Duh, me.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:55 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I did find one or two demos on YouTube that were ok, but I realized as I was looking that this board isn't out yet. Duh, me.

It's not out yet? Didn't they announce this at the last Winter NAMM? sheesh!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:17 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:I did find one or two demos on YouTube that were ok, but I realized as I was looking that this board isn't out yet. Duh, me.

It's not out yet? Didn't they announce this at the last Winter NAMM? sheesh!

Well, when I looked it up on Sweetwater it says you have to pre-order or some junk. So I don't think it's available to the general public. The main demo's I found were mostly of some guy playing presets, and shredding on the keys. When I say "demo" I'm looking for people doing sound creation, not playing presets.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:00 pm

just get a vst :tounge: sheesh does anyone even hardware anymore?
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:06 pm

ME! I <3 hardware! Still not a fan of the softies. (not sound-wise, just creation-wise. they sound just fine, mostly)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Get thee a Virus, son. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Get thee a Virus, son. :thu:

I KNOW! I'd take a TI-1, 2; C; or a B. I even think I'd rather have a B than any other, just because it sounds to me like it would fit the type of music I like to make.

But I am a fan of Nord's Lead series, too.

But it's really neither here nor there. With closing on the house looming in the not so distant future, it's gonna be a WHILE before I can afford any new kit. But I'm happy making tunes with what I have for now :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Veracohr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:22 am

This isn't specific to the A1, but the way I assume "virtual analog" and "analog modeling" differ is this:

Virtual Analog - uses software to perform the same functions as analog hardware. Simple waveforms, filters, amps, etc.

Analog Modeling - does the same, but actually 'models' the way analog circuits behave, including all their shortcomings and quirks.

I could be entirely wrong though.
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:15 pm

I looked it up, read through several arguments, and have come to this conclusion:

Analog Modeling: What every VA synth does.

Virtual Analog: A marketing term.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to KSS