Oh, hello there.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Oh, hello there.

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:36 am

I haz teh J-106 schizmo too. Here's the slice of it that splains:

One schemo I've not been able to find (for free anyway) is the Korg Poly-61. It, of course, was a 6 voice DCO synth, but it had two oscs/voice, of which osc 2 was detunable. I think that single feature really fattens up an otherwise sterile sounding DCO synth. I'd way rather have that than a single osc/voice through a bucket brigade chorus like teh Juno.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am

But anyway, of the Pro 2, Dave says

Oscillators
Four DSP-based oscillators plus one sine wave sub oscillator
Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator
Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator
13 Superwaves
Three noise types per oscillator: white, pink, violet
Shape modulation/pulse width/superwave detune amount
Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
Hard sync, individual Glide, Oscillator Slop

I think, with all the other good stuff in that synth, that the end result won't be adversely affected at all by the DSP oscs. I'm sure they aren't just rompler-type PWM samples, but rather real time generated waveforms. The demos sound great to me. I think it might even be Teh King of Monos (modulars aside).

But, to put all this geekslutzery behind us once and for all, I propose that the only real solution is for Mr. Electric le Puppy to immediately buy one and post tasty clips of it.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:47 am

Plink Floyd wrote:But, to put all this geekslutzery behind us once and for all, I propose that the only real solution is for Mr. Electric le Puppy to immediately buy one and post tasty clips of it.

Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well to be honest, the reason I sold the PE was because it just wasn't jelling with me in terms of UI and *squonk*. The filter seemed... I don't know, it just didn't seem right, for lack of a better term. The new baby does look attractive and all, but... I don't know. It would be fun to mess around with for a little while, at least.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:16 am

I've never noodled an Evolver, so idunno. But these filters are ALL NEW!!! They tout:

Two New Filters Based On Vintage Designs
At the heart of the Pro 2's gutsy sound is its ALL-NEW FILTER DESIGN*. Filter 1 is a 4-pole low-pass design inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter. Filter 2 is a state-variable design inspired by the Oberheim SEM and can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode. The two filters function in either serial or parallel, or anywhere in between. Two of the four oscillators can be routed through Filter 1 with the other two routed through Filter 2 for a broad range of tonal possibilities.

*see?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:19 am

Indeed I see, sir. "4-pole inspired by Prophet" = CEM. PolyEvolver had this. Meh. Is OK.

However:

"state-variable inspired by Oberheim SEM"... well, now. I believe that's just a 2-pole, BUT still. I do see the potential for new flavor here, and it looks like you can tweak the flow to be parallel or serial between the two filters. That may be different enough to be INTRADESTING.

so yeah. Hmmm. But I hasn't the time to noodle much, and in fact, I am doing homework rite nao. SOON MAYBE, though.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 am

Gwan, geddit.

U know u wan.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Hmmm... $1999 is a lot for one voice. ("Paraphonic" modes aside.)

The sound demos of the Prophet 12 did not inspire me personally, and much of the architecture is from that. I'll pass. Especially considering most of my "monophonic budget" already went for a modular. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Veracohr » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:52 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Indeed I see, sir. "4-pole inspired by Prophet" = CEM. PolyEvolver had this. Meh. Is OK.

But it also says "all-new", so I'm looking on the bright side and hoping it's not the same Evolver design.
Veracohr

Postby Veracohr » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:53 am

soundwave106 wrote:Hmmm... $1999 is a lot for one voice. ("Paraphonic" modes aside.)

Ouch, I didn't notice that. :mad:
Veracohr

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:41 am

Still less than Voyager. What else is comparable, i dunno?

Well, yeah, modular...
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:49 am

Plink Floyd wrote:Juno DCO couldn't be less analog.
And after looking at that schematic, I'll retract that statement. The saws & squares aren't generated by a free running osc, but they are analogously generated.
Plink Floyd

Previous

Return to KSS