selling synths on ebay

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

selling synths on ebay

Postby gregwar » Thu May 29, 2014 6:30 pm

i'm thinking of selling my roland v-synth gt on ebay

i tried unsuccessfully to sell it locally and i would have to lower the price by a lot and be more patient.

here in middle canada (winnipeg) there isn't nearly the same synth scene as there was when i lived in toronto, which is a way way bigger city.

anyways, i haven't been using that synth much lately and am looking for general tips on how to sell synths non-locally

i've done some reading around the interwebs but i value your opinions more as ebay posts can be smoke & mirrors and people seem to have random experiences

any particular scams i should watch out for ? does the ebay tax make it not worth it ? int shipping for non-int shipping ? etc thx
gregwar

Re: selling synths on ebay

Postby selfinflikted » Thu May 29, 2014 6:51 pm

I have had nothing but good experiences buying AND selling synths on eBay. I have never had to deal with anything outside of the country, but it's a pretty straightforward transaction as far as my experience goes. That said, and again, I don't have any experience with international buying and selling.

Incidentally, what are you asking for the board?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu May 29, 2014 7:09 pm

I'd restrict it to North American sales. It's just too big to ship overseas.

Find a price you can live with, then add about 15% when you create the Buy It Now option. Then put it up for the max number of days (10). If someone wants it now, they can do the Buy It Now. If they want to wait, they'll bid. If nobody bids, your price was too high, so try again :)

It's very hard to swallow the feebay fees, but sometimes there's no other option...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu May 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Regarding int'l: I got a message from them recently that I only glanced at, but it mentioned some type of broker service where your shipment will go to their central USA warehouse and then they will ship it internationally. They do the paperwork too. I was planning on reading it more closely soon because I'm selling the ms2000b with hard case, and the trident. Also maybe a poly six and a poly 61m, a vintage cx3 in a flight case. <--hidden plug, see what I did there?
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Thu May 29, 2014 7:14 pm

i was asking around $1600, with ebay fees that would be like $1840

i might sell it for a little less like $1750 on ebay, but even then thats pretty expensive imo

edit:
i just found this handy tool: http://synthprices.blogspot.ca/2012/06/ ... th-gt.html

:like:
Last edited by gregwar on Thu May 29, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Thu May 29, 2014 7:18 pm

I dunno, man. You may be able to get that for it. Last I looked, and it was a few months ago, they were selling for around that, I think.

ETA: I see only one GT listed now for $2500. That's too much.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 pm

When you factor in all feebay fees, it's way over 10%, if you sell it for 1700 you'll be out of close to 300 bucks in fees, I think.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri May 30, 2014 4:54 pm

i suppose thats just the cost of business there

i always prefer to do face-to-face but with something more expensive & different i suppose its the only option sometimes
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:51 pm

update:

so far it seems expensive to ship such a lustrous synth, plus packaging plus teh bay fees, etc is driving the price up too much. I now see why second hand prices are so high, approach new in many cases :facepalm:

I think I'll just keep it as it's a very versatile synth.

I've sampled in some blips and bloops from YouTube modular demos and it reminded me of why I got it in the first place: to sample and process stuff, which I haven't explored enough

my current rap project can feel restrictive considering my much more experimental past. it is nice to just noodle with strange dsp when I'm not focusing on making bangers.

also super saws :like:
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Keep it on sale locally and in nearby cities. I have sold some stuff that stayed on Craigslist for like 6 months (nothing quite as big as a v-synth tho).
Renew the ad every couple weeks - you don't wanna be that guy that renews it at the very moment you are allowed to. If someone wants a v-synth they'll use the search feature in the ads, anyway.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Return to KSS