NI Questions about Kore & Rig Kontrol

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

NI Questions about Kore & Rig Kontrol

Postby midinut » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:46 am

I picked up Komplete recently and am curious about picking up a used Kore controller and maybe a Rig Kontrol for GR5. NI doesn't make them anymore and it seems they abandoned ship on them, but I'm considering them anyway. I'm working on a two-piece act with my live-in guitar player who bogarts my POD X3 & Variax (I'm cool wit dat) but I'd like to have another rig for my guitar and newly acquired 5-string bass. I'm thinking Guitar Rig 5 Pro May be the answer but am looking for a floorboard controller of some sort. The Kore fetish just comes from watching a few YT videos and thinking that conceptually I could use that.

So, once again I look to my fellow squirrels in the treehouse for guidance. Are either pieces worthy of consideration or are they more hassle than they're worth?
midinut

Re: NI Questions about Kore & Rig Kontrol

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:37 am

Well, of course the sum of my experience in the field of guitarage entitles me to confidently state the irrefragable fact that I dunno.

GR3 comes bundled with SONAR, & Guitar Son has a Rack POD. I think they're both pretty neat, but as I've said before it's easy to please me with digitar fx.

As to preference, my vague feeling about it is this: being as how G-Rig is software, it might glitch up during a gig whereas I'll bet the POD is pretty solid.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:37 pm

I'll take that under advisement. Rig Kontrols are easier to locate on eBay or CL. I'm having a more difficult time with the Kore 2 controller. Seems if it soesn't come with the software, you have no way of getting the Kore 2 software. I found one I'm watching now that includes the software, but seller says he bought it used, loaded the software and it told him the serial number was already in use. He gave up and I'm hoping that NI can sort that out for me if I do grab it.

Regarding the POD X3, I agree. I've kinda built a laptop-based VST rig and have Cantabile, Cubase and Ableton laoded on it. I'm considering hte Rig Kontrol unit to allow me to plug in my guitar or bass and pull up presets to use live in a two-piece act we're putting together. I know, if the laptop glitches, it could affect the whole show. We are testing it pretty thoroughly and pushing it hard to try to get it to mess up. So far the worst problem I've had has been swapping out MIDI controllers. I feeel pretty safe once we assign all controllers to MIDI ports and leave them the hell alone! But, we shall see!
midinut

Postby gregwar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

re: kore

ni has changed the format of their plug-ins to maschine files so now afaik a anything past k5 or k6 won't work with kore

one of the main benefits was to have all of the different presets for all of your plug-ins in one place.

all of the controls for their plug-ins were mapped to kore and it was easy to add/map non-ni plugs like predator or omnisphere

it's really too bad they abandoned the platform. I still have a kore 1 controller (and a back up) and I still maintain my 2009 MacBook Pro to run all this legacy 32 bit software

I'm not able to recommend getting into kore at this stage unless you don't mind doing your own tech support and figuring it out (as with all legacy/unsupported software/ hardware)
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:50 pm

re: laptops on stage

my dj has a serato setup with cdjs and an akai controller. the other day at rehearsal he plugged in his phone to charge it and almost took out his rig lol (he had to restart it)

it can be 'fragile' to say the least. I've played shows/toured with desktops, laptops and tube amps and they just have to be handled carefully, especially if you don't have a back up (recommended)

my current 'mobile studio' is a mac mini built into a 2u rack case with a uad apollo. it's prolly the most rugged setup I've ever had and bring it everywhere I want to record but I still wouldn't want to drop it

I'm adding wireless mics and possibly wireless in-ear monitors to my live set up and want to build them into a rack mount case too

the reason is usb, firewire and other non-rugged cables can stay permanently plugged in and out of harms way and setup/tear down is faster

I've seen djs get rushed on stage, guitars smashed rock star style, MacBook pros crash infront of 1000+ people, etc

tl;dr
computers on stage: try to built it into a rugged enclosure and pray to the laptop gods it doesn't crash
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:50 am

gregwar wrote:computers on stage: try to built it into a rugged enclosure and pray to the laptop gods it doesn't crash

Sadly, the "standard" live show these days is a guy with a laptop playing studio tracks with some random stuff over it. If you're lucky, it will be somewhat extensive stuff (whether visual artsy fartsy type stuff or live keyboardin') so the show is actually interesting. If you're not lucky, it's not much more than someone hitting play and maybe someone will fart around on a Microkorg every now and then.

The laptop band trend kind of sucks in that way, because the "laptop has crashed!" trainwreck is awful. In most competent bands I've been in, if something fucks up, you can sort of kind of get through it and (funny thing) a lot of the audience won't notice the big mistakes and weirdness. A laptop band, in contrast, will crash to dead silence. The audience *will* notice that. I've seen a couple instances myself.

I've played with a laptop on stage, but I had my hardware keys that I could fart around on if something went wrong.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:46 pm

midinut wrote:Doohinkeys are easier to locate on eBay or CL. I'm having a more difficult time with the Gizmo.
When scrounging for used stuff, don't forget this place. They don't always categorize the merch accurately, so if you're looking for a specific doodad it's best to not search by catagory but enter a brand or model name into the search box.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:44 pm

Spoke with Native Instruments about the Kore thing. I also looked into the Kore section of the NI forum and they pretty much confirmed what I was afraid of. You must have a clean serial number to get Kore 2 (software) to work. Most of the sellers on eBay or CL are just selling the hardware only as a backup for people that use it. Evidently, most of Komplete 9 is still compatible with Kore, Not sure whether it will still be supported in future versions. If someone sells the software with the hardware and they are the original owner, then they must send a written request to NI to have their name a license deactivated before a new owner could register the software. The whole idea that apprealed to me about Kore was, as GregWar stated, having all your NI patches in one place. Being able to assign 8 patches to a group and then use the knobs to "morph" between them looked like an added bonus. As you guys have said, it's a shame they have abandoned the platform.
midinut

Return to KSS