Roland TR8

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Roland TR8

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 pm

So, did anyone else buy a TR8?

Are you guyz still gear freeks?
Last edited by ClavAnother on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Re: Roland TR8

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm

I have heard that there's a thing called a TR8. No, I have not purchased one. No, I have no plans to purchase one, No, Alex.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm not really seeing the point.. :idk: I think a Korg ESX with a loaded SD card is better option, IMO.

I'm wondering what else they're going to come out with that runs on the synth thingy.. Tony Schnarf is pretty upset that it only comes with 8 slots o' patches. Which I admit sucks... But if you're using it slaved and you can run a genuine Roland synth in VST form on it (D50, JD800, JP8000 or something else cool.. ) I'm down with it. I could care less about the 101 emulation though.

IMO, once more, there's too much out there that does the same if not better and I'm also not that into the 303 / 808 thing. :idk: So I'm kinda out by default anyway..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 pm

ClavAnother wrote:So, did anyone else buy a TR8?
Are you guyz still gear freeks?

I'll pick up on the TR-8 once they release the Trap Rhythms Vol. 1 Expansion Pack for it!!!!!

More srs, not for me, I don't make dance music.

For those that do... I've read a few reviews and most say "this is better than paying $2K for an original!!!". Which is probably true for everyone but the die-hard analog freaks.

What the reviews *don't* say, is whether this is better than say D16 Nepheton (for the 808 fanatics) or (from another angle) whether this beats an approach like "Maschine + Battery w/ 808 kit".

To be honest, for the modern music market of 808 (the dubstep-cum-"trapstep" EDM stuff and the Southern hip-hop "trap") I think you're better off with the "Maschine + Battery w/ 808 kit" approach.

The few reviews indicate DAW integration, which I thought would be the critical factor for something like this, is a mixed bag. Individual outs on the DAW over USB- yay! Poor CC / pattern / MIDI integration at the moment - boo! Live performance is nice but there's not a whole lot of dance doing 16 step stuff now.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Yeah I haz Maschine so I don't see the point of this... not for 500 dollars which is more than I paid for my Maschine.

Always wanted a TR-707 though. I dig that sound.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:42 am

ClavAnother wrote:So, did anyone else buy a TR 8?
A friend bought a used TR7. It looked super cool but the turd hardly ever ran. Mostly he tinkered with it in the garage. Do not want.

Or, wut?
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm

CR, how you likey da Maschine? I posted a thread about getting a Kore controller and maybe a Rig Kontrol for GR5 and someone in another forum said everybody is using Maschine instead now that NI discontinued both of the others. I don't do dance or trance or EDM so I don't need a "drum machine" to make da beats but was wondering how else could Maschine enhance my Komplete experience or make me Komplete? lol
midinut

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Well, in short:

Pros
- Maschine has a huge library of sounds that is unmatched in the hardware world.
- Integration with Komplete is pretty good.
- The sampler is awesome, also better than hardware equivalents
- It runs as a VSTi inside your DAW
- The effects have gotten better

Cons
- Having all your drums in a VSTi instrument makes it a bit harder to mix - you have to go to Maschine to make changes, and then reopen it in the DAW to hear these changes in the context of the rest of the tracks. To me that's the biggest draw back. If Maschine had audio tracks, this wouldn't be an issue.
- Workflow isn't quite as fluid as my old drum machine (Zoom). I worked faster with the Zoom.
- The upgrade to Maschine 2.0 software costs money (99 dollars). I didn't want to pay for this, so basically now my software is not supported with new releases. But that's usually true of hardware - at some point the last firmware gets released and after that you're on your own.

My biggest con is that I get more MIDI lag in Reaper than I do in Maschine (it's my issue with Reaper, not Maschine). So I end up wanting to do all my MIDI tracks in Maschine, but it doesn't really land itself to do a piano track over the whole song, for example. I have to chop it up in the patterns but that doesn't always work the best.

In short, getting a real drummer is still the best solution. But Maschine can be made to work if you are flexible when problems arise. But I guess that's a given in any computer system...

I haven't really studied other alternatives. Which helps contain GAS I guess :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Anyway, you guys were all wrong. The TR8 is kickass. Thank You.

time to go play moar
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to back up your claims of kickassery with some evidence, sir. Such as, "I like it because such and such."

Discuss.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 am

Uh, sounds good, tweakable, handy performance features, concise, easy to use, and feels good to the touch....

Plus individual outputs is important to weirdos like me.

But now that I consider it for a minute, it doesn't matter what I think...I really just wanted to brag that I got moar new gear.

I also had a delicious dinner so today must be a good day.

Good day.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:16 am

PS: I'll back it up with some tracks after I get back into doing that sort of thing.

I'm in re-populate the studio mode lately.

Wait until you see the major funky mod I'm doing I the ms20m. When you see it youll shit brix-bloks
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:02 am

ClavAnother wrote:Wait until you see the major funky mod I'm doing I the ms20m. When you see it youll shit brix-bloks
Oooohh! What is it what is it I can't wait tell us tell us TELL US!
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 am

Oh and i just found out that I could set the hand clap to assignable output B and use it as clock for my analog sequencer.

I will do this on the morrow.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:46 am

Teh claps multiple spikes might be too random to trigger a gizmo with... Might be better to use clickity stick or agogol or crowbell?
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests

Poast moar
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:27 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Wait until you see the major funky mod I'm doing I the ms20m. When you see it youll shit brix-bloks

Especially this.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 pm

today I seen a tr8 at the store

it was not on and I touched it anyways, it felt good

that is the full extent of my demo

the salesman reassured me it sounds very much like a real tr-808 !

demos ?

:wave:
gregwar

Postby noisevoid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:50 pm

soundwave106 wrote: ... Live performance is nice but there's not a whole lot of dance doing 16 step stuff now.

The TR8 can literally play, at max, a 512 step sequence. However, you can only edit 16 steps at a time.

There are 16 `patterns` in total, an A and a B side per pattern, and 16 steps on each of the sides. When you hold the `Pattern Select` button, you can select a contiguous range of patterns by pressing any two of the pattern buttons simultaneously and it will play those pattern sequentially.

You can't do this, live, though. you'd need your patterns set up beforehand, but it can be done.
ImageImageImage
noisevoid

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Hang on a sec, if you hold pattern select, you can press individual beats and play them sequentially?

I only know about pressing multiples and having them play in a linear fashion. It would be awesome to select the order.

Can you do pattern 1, 2, 1, 3 for example? The question I'm really asking is if you can reselect a pattern.
ClavAnother

Next

Return to KSS