monitors, bro

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: monitors, bro

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:39 am

gregwar wrote:three way speakers are clearly better because they have more speakers :jam:

Meh three-way cabs are for girly mans, getcha couple JBL 4350s with FIVE drivers each.

No wait, getcha FOUR OF THEMS!! :jam:

Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:03 am

But srs, some philes say multi-drivers & x-overs, no matter how well designed, create time and phase issues. But I don't know if any pro slutz are using single element monitors.

I like this idea of porting the enclosure in the front. Seems like a legit way of decoupling from the rear wall, idunno?

I do know that this is one of those subjects that has a great potential of escalating into a big hairy slutfite.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I do know that this is one of those subjects that has a great potential of escalating into a big hairy slutfite.

Agreed :horse:

There's advantages and disadvantages to any design... and every design (of anything) is a compromise. We pick the compromise we like best :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:19 pm

All that money tied up in high-end gear, and they put it in THOSE rooms. WTF.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:50 pm

you know what stupifies me.. people mostly run off the shelf CDs of top 40 stuff through those speekers or maybe some zeppelin man..

I dunno.. I think it's kinda weird spending 10,000 on stuff when you're going to play off the shelf dvds and music through it. If you get some super HD uncompressed and full range concert stuff (which is mostly jazz and vocals) you will have a good time.

but it aint going to make your skinnard sound better :lol: or your 4:3 movie in a letter box in a box look better :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:52 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:All that money tied up in high-end gear, and they put it in THOSE rooms. WTF.

GISing the JBL 4350s seem to indicate that, when people buy this speaker, this *is* their only furniture. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:00 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I dunno.. I think it's kinda weird spending 10,000 on stuff when you're going to play off the shelf dvds and music through it. If you get some super HD uncompressed and full range concert stuff (which is mostly jazz and vocals) you will have a good time.

Generally speaking, this is right. But older pop (even older pop CDs), before THE LOUDNESS WARS :jam: took hold actually does benefit some from the top shelf speakers and gear. Particularly pop that has quieter passages (think acoustic stuff like folk music up to even something like Pink Floyd).

I don't know many Skynyrd fans who would sit in the sweet spot to zone out to "Sweet Home" though. :lol: And today's brickwalled stuff won't benefit much if at all regardless.

The best benefit goes to "sit down and listen to" type genres, which is mostly stuff like classical music and jazz. (Unpopular stuff these days.).
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:escalating big hairy slutfite.

in all supersrslyness tho i think getting sound treatment in ur mixing room is key and just spending "x" amount of money on speakers will have diminishing returns without treatment

my friend who shares my mixing duties for our crew (deafwish) says he has freq holes around 200-300 hz and if he moves around he can hear the bass build up in certain parts of his room

its one of those things i'm also talking about which i haven't done, so i'm gonna look into 'modular' baffles & bass traps that i can easily hang up, stack on top of eachother, put in my truck and take with me if/when i inevitably move

(i've had like over a dozen addresses in the last few years all over the country)

i'm also giving myself until may 1st to build a sound booth for vox that is portable in my truck, can be assembled and disassembled quickly, isn't super heavy and sounds better than any of our living rooms/bed rooms lol
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:25 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:I dunno.. I think it's kinda weird spending 10,000 on stuff when you're going to play off the shelf dvds and music through it. If you get some super HD uncompressed and full range concert stuff (which is mostly jazz and vocals) you will have a good time.

Generally speaking, this is right. But older pop (even older pop CDs), before THE LOUDNESS WARS :jam: took hold actually does benefit some from the top shelf speakers and gear. Particularly pop that has quieter passages (think acoustic stuff like folk music up to even something like Pink Floyd).

I don't know many Skynyrd fans who would sit in the sweet spot to zone out to "Sweet Home" though. :lol: And today's brickwalled stuff won't benefit much if at all regardless.

The best benefit goes to "sit down and listen to" type genres, which is mostly stuff like classical music and jazz. (Unpopular stuff these days.).

And that's exactly who Bose aims at. 99% of their stuff is aimed at the over 50 crowd that listens to jazz and 50's do whop. I had people all the time ask me about those new bose personal monitors, cause their friends love em and I'm like 'they're great for jazz". And they say "yea, my friend plays jazz" :lol:

I think people just like the kudos really. I mean even now, you'd have to work really hard to get the original recordings and not the re releases that have been re mastered and such. Generally, that's why I think records are fun; most if not all of them were before the brick wall stuff. I have this one Crystal Gayle record and man.. does that thing sound nice.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:48 pm

MetroSonus wrote: I have this one Crystal Gayle record and man.. does that thing sound nice.

This belongs in the guilty pleasures thread. :lol:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm

pssssssssssh.

I think it's normal to have non compartmentalized musical tastes even if they do stretch back to the days of feathered hair, the dukes of hazzard and knight rider. Case in point that's what I liked about the 90's. I was one last big bruhaha where it was ALL good. It hit a few years right before the ipod shuffle made music cool for a bit. It's a shame really that otherwise, music is just relegated to a fact of life now and not something to be enjoyed. I don't think we'll see kids rallying around music as a common bonding experience again for quite a while.. :cry:

but yea, I guess you could say I'm full of guilty pleasures that way.

I feel bad I kind of poo pooed the emo / scene / indie thing back then. At least kids were out doing something and having fun. Now they're just at home not giving a shit.. what do kids even do now as opposed to like 6 years ago? :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:55 pm

I have no idea. Especially since I don't have kids of my own. My friends do, though. Most of them do, in fact. And when their birthdays roll around, I feel like a f*****g grandpa all up in the Toys R Us aimlessly wandering around shouting, "What do kids even LIKE nowadays?!" :cry:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:52 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I have no idea. Especially since I don't have kids of my own. My friends do, though. Most of them do, in fact. And when their birthdays roll around, I feel like a f*****g grandpa all up in the Toys R Us aimlessly wandering around shouting, "What do kids even LIKE nowadays?!" :cry:

ProTips:
They like what they've always liked - cars (boys), dolls (girls), puzzles, play dough, stuff like that never goes out of style. But,no matter what you buy them, they seem to ignore it after a while and prefer to play with something that's not a toy, or a toy they made themselves.
Also, kids nowadays get so many toys, they don't value them at all.They'll play for a few minutes and it goes on to be ignored, usually, until you threaten to take the toys away and give them to a poor family. Then, the toys get interesting again.

The worst toys are the ones that are kind of novelty toys. Like the Transformers doll, I mean action figure :lol: that makes weird sounds and walks slowly, or the thingamathingie where you hit a button and it throws a ball up in the air or something. Stuff that is noisy and/or a one-trick pony. Those get ignored almost immediately... kids prefer stuff that lets their imagination come to the front.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:18 pm

christianrock wrote:ProTips:
They like what they've always liked - cars (boys), dolls (girls), puzzles, play dough, stuff like that never goes out of style. But,no matter what you buy them, they seem to ignore it after a while and prefer to play with something that's not a toy, or a toy they made themselves.
Also, kids nowadays get so many toys, they don't value them at all.They'll play for a few minutes and it goes on to be ignored, usually, until you threaten to take the toys away and give them to a poor family. Then, the toys get interesting again.

The worst toys are the ones that are kind of novelty toys. Like the Transformers doll, I mean action figure :lol: that makes weird sounds and walks slowly, or the thingamathingie where you hit a button and it throws a ball up in the air or something. Stuff that is noisy and/or a one-trick pony. Those get ignored almost immediately... kids prefer stuff that lets their imagination come to the front.

Well, it's nice to know the tried-and-true are still relevant. I will keep this invaluable advice in mind next time I find myself shopping for a xmas or birthday gift!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Previous

Return to KSS