dbx DriveRack PX Question

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

dbx DriveRack PX Question

Postby midinut » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:37 am

I am looking at grabbing a pair of Behringer B215A's used for cheap and was wondering if these dbx DriveRack units are worth the investment. Behringer themselves make a feedback exterminator or three and also a enhancer/exciter but the dbx unit seems to do all that plus limiting and compression. Thinking of using these to put together a duo act for playing small rooms. Any thoughts or experiences worth mentioning would be most helpful.
midinut

Re: dbx DriveRack PX Question

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:19 am

The Driveracks have always seemed to me to be aimed @ small/medium churches & other places where there's a lack of savvy geeks to consider the situation. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the people that like them would also recommend the Bose Wave Radio.

For live, though, I understand the appeal. They roll several things into 1U, like Xover, EQ & feedback kill, & I suppose if you got one cheap enough it's as good as other stuff in it's $ range. But don't you want the option of comp/limiting on individual channels?

I do like the idea of the built-in self adjusting RTA/EQ thingy so you can ring out rooms automatunically. I see those DBX ref mics for sale every now and then for $50 - $100 used.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:22 am

Yeah I've seen those for sale too. If I pick one up I'll make sure it comes with one. I remember looking at the manual a while back and reading about walking through the setup wizard. I seem to remember most of the templates were for Mackies, JBLs, etc. Don't remember seeing Behringer on the list of supported speakers. If what you have isn't listed, what do you do, pick something close to it?

I understand what you're saying about individual control of our mix, but our mix will be stereo feed from my laptop/audio interface, a stereo mix from a POD X3 Live (guitarist), and two vocal mics. I would use these 2 B215a's as mains and I have a B212a that we'll use as a monitor. Should be fairly simple. I just don't want to drag around a 8-space rack when 2-4 spaces and a laptop on top will suffice.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:52 pm

midinut wrote:Don't remember seeing Behringer on the list of supported speakers. If what you have isn't listed, what do you do, pick something close to it?
Dunno, but I'd think the auto RTA/EQ thingy would adjust itself to whatev speaker/room situation it finds.

Something to check: is there a full range output option on those Driveracks? Cause you can't use the hi/mid/low outputs with those speakers...

Just curious: what treatment/efx are you thinking about for voices? I'd think you'd want at least some sort of individual comp/limit/EQ. And for smaller rooms, a little reverb goes a long way. I also like the options of chorus or doubling. Maybe a mixer with built-in exf is all you'd need?

And if you're thinking about doing wedding recepts or other celebration type gigs, you might want an extra mic and input for people to toast the happy couple or make bar mitzvah joaks & such.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:53 pm

I hope you are right about the auto-detect. The DriveRack has one pair of XLR inputs, 2 XLR outputs and 2 Sub Outputs (in case you are running powered subs I assume). My plan is to use balanced 10' 1/4" to XLR Male cables between the mixer and driverack and then XLR mic cables from DriveRack to speakers (board only has 1/4" outs). The DriveRack also has compression and limiting built-in (but I'm sure its designed to be used on the summed output, not individual channels. My Alesis MultiMix 8 USB has built-in effects (reverb, delay, chorus, flange, etc.) that I figure will do the trick for now. The Alesis mixer has 4 mic inputs so we'll be okay in running an extra mic for those announcement / singalong situations. I'm anxious to get it all set up here at the house and see what it'll do.

Next question - does anyone know anything about LED lighting? I'm also looking at a single Chauvet 4BAR unit for illuminating our duo thing. I've got a friend who has a pair of them and he loves the size, weight, transportability, etc. but is not too happy with the amount of light they put out. Of course he's been used to PAR 64's and 56's for many years. He suggested the newer 4BAR tri which he says puts out more light - but at twice the price, I'm thinking we can get by with one for our duet gigs. I'm also not finding a lot of info about using DMX controllers with the 4BAR. I downloaded the DMX primer from Chauvet's web site but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I just think it would be nice to have more control over the lights than just using the included footswitch. I think something like the Obey 3 for $50 would be fine but I need to know if it'll work with the 4BAR. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:25 am

You know there are two Driverack models designed for two different jobs, rite? The Driverack PX is for studio monitors and has two full range outputs and two sub outputs. Then there's the Driverack PA, which is meant for live settings, and has a built-in programmable crossover to drive it's stereo outputs for high/mid/low PA speakers. That's the one I thought you were considering. The drvrk PA+ has a preset for those speakers, but

Here's wut I think (and all that that implies): I wouldn't get either one. With the PA model, you'd be paying for a crossover you don't need, and with the PX model, well, just meh. Just me, but I think they're gimmicky. There's probably no major difference in the boxes except for the x-over. And you mentioned that they had enhancer/exciters, but I'm not finding it...

You have all the EQ you need in the individual channels of your mixer. What you don't have is individual comp/limit for vox. If you comp the total signal after it's mixed and somebody's voice peaks, it'll squash everything, not just the one voice. That's ok if you want the pumping side chain comp effect, but I don't think you do.

Instead, for the same bux, I feel a much greater benefit can be derived from a dbx 266XS dual comp with a Lexicon MX200 or used Midiverb or such. Teh Lexi will obey yer lappy...

Or two DBX 286s Channel Strips with Compressor, Expander/Gate, De-esser, and Enhancer Sections.

Those driverax r 4 girly men. Ring out yer rooms by ear liek a real man.

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:24 am

U mad?

:cry:
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:44 am

No, not at all. I've had a busy week at school. Next week is spring break so they are cramming loads of garbage at us before we go on break (of course).

I had already ordered the DriveRack PX (it is the one for powered speakers) before you made that last post. It came yesterday and I got it set up tonight. Just got done as a matter of fact. It's too late here to tune out the family room/studio. I'll try to dig into it tomorrow or Friday. We're due for some more winter weather Thursday-Saturday so hopefully I'll get some hand-on time with it. Nad me and my guitar player will try it out here and see what it'll do.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:19 am

Good, I figured you knew it was bufoolery. Really, if it kills feedback reliably, it'll be worth the money. And the mic that goes with it is only $100 new, I thought it would be moar. Also, those mics rumored to be good for certain types of recording, such as acoustic guitars ect. I've heard that about several such tiny capsuled flat response mics.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Yeah it came with the RTA mic. I've heard that about them too. I'll try it on acoustic guitar and see what kind of results I get. I would imagine it does not require phantom power, but I've got it if it does. If I don't get any signal out of it without, I'll turn it on and see. I would imagine since it just plugs in the port on the front of the DriveRack that it is not but who knows ...
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:11 am

It's a condenser mic, so it needs phantom powers, but the driverack supplies it.
Plink Floyd

Return to KSS