Are we talking about the Korg Arp Odyssey yet?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Are we talking about the Korg Arp Odyssey yet?

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm

ClavAnother

Re: Are we talking about the Korg Arp Odyssey yet?

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Zomg!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Does that answer your question? :lol:

Also played a king korg today.. Pretty tasty .. :thu:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:06 pm

King Korg is cool, but after I got mine for gigs, I kept bringing the Moog instead. I want times with it some more though. I think I'll sell the MS-2000B with hard case soon
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:13 pm

ClavAnother wrote:King Korg is cool, but after I got mine for gigs, I kept bringing the Moog instead. I want times with it some more though. I think I'll sell the MS-2000B with hard case soon

NOE. Or, sell it to me.

..in a few years when I can afford to buy synths again.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Korg are my hero! [swoon]

Unless they...

No, no, they wouldn't do that...

Would they?
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Only a couple of notes? No presets? Outdated analog technology :mad:

I keed. Korg certainly is doing a job of warming the hearts of many of the analog fanboys on the Internet. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Wow. Korg has taken a long drink from the analog Kool-Aid lately, no? :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 pm

I was thinking April 1st had come round quick. :eek:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Purity_Control wrote:I was thinking April 1st had come round quick. :eek:

That was my first thought, as well.

Also, they could have been hacked, but the news is from yesterday, so that would have gone away by now if they did.

It must be true then :eek:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:44 pm

I went over to GS to see their reaction to the Odyssey reissue... it was pretty orgasmic. I didn't read the whole thread - it's huge - but at the end some troll is ruining the thread by bringing up Pearl Harbor and his hate of japanese people :facepalm: typical GS... the trolls really ruin that place.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Wow. Can't appreciate the Korg news because Pearl Harbor? Either someone is set to Maximum Troll, or they really, really need to be kicked off the island. Ridiculous.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 am

I can't remember, have I mentioned before that I had an Odyssey for ten years or so?

:)

& then I saled it for cheep . But everyone was doing it, man...
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Was the odyssey that good? I know softies ain't nothing to shake a stick at (entirely) and while i enjoyed the GForce oddity, everything on it sounds kinda samey.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Nothing wrong with a reissue of an analog. Hopefully it'll be a trend setter. Of course as you may know: I can't bear soft synths.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 am

MetroSonus wrote:Was the odyssey that good? I know softies ain't nothing to shake a stick at (entirely) and while i enjoyed the GForce oddity, everything on it sounds kinda samey.
Ya know, I used to have an Odyssey. In fact, I was lucky enough to have an Odyssey and a borrowed Mini side by side for a year or so. They both drifted. I never gigged with the Moog, but the ARP needed tuned two or three times a night, depending on the temp variations in the nightclub. The key switch contacts and sliders on the ARP got scratchy and needed cleaned frequently, but I don't remember about the Moog's.

To me, the Odyssey was the better synth, feature-wise. Some advantages is had over the Moog were ring mod, osc sync, S/H, continually variable and modulated PW, LP and HP filters. It sounded different, but to me, not inferior. Silky and melodic like buttah, but with bass balls, too.

The ARP pitch bend/mod scheme, at least till the last model, was ass. That probably offput lots of buyers in the 70s, when players were expected to actually 'play' musical phrases on these instruments.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Yeah but does it come with a custom sized ANVILroad case?

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:31 am

That may have been a good deal, depending on how much the synth cost new. Of which I don't find it anywhere. I think I payed around tree fiddy (hundred) for mine. Accordion to teh internets, the Minimoog was $1,495 upon release, so probably the Ody was maybe moar?

Mine came with a padded black chipboard case that was obviously made for it, but wasn't that sturdy. It was sort of like the cases that portable typewriters used to come in.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:That may have been a good deal, depending on how much the synth cost new. Of which I don't find it anywhere. I think I payed around tree fiddy (hundred) for mine. Accordion to teh internets, the Minimoog was $1,495 upon release, so probably the Ody was maybe moar?

The Internets found this review of the Oddity which says the original ARP Odyssey price was $1500 in 1970s buckaroos. Makes sense as it was competing with the Minimoog. So that was a pretty good deal.

By comparison, the MS-20 original price per The Internets was $750 in 1978 dollars. (Probably Korg will target this ARP Odyssey reissue at sub-Phatty price levels ($1000ish)...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 pm

I don't know, being a reissue, I think it will demand a good price.

And I do remember the typewriter casings. Had one, enjoyed it. Until I took it completely apart and couldn't put it together again. That's when I knew being an engineer wasn't in the cards...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 am

One bad thing I recall about the Odd, is really not a bad thing except if you're expecting useable 'duophonic' or 'paraphonic' polyphony. You could indeed play two different notes, but when you released them the oscs would jump to the key last released. And sometimes the changing osc wouldn't even make it all the way to join the other one, it would just hang somewhere betwteen.

The reason this happened (and the reason you could indeed play two diff keys at once) was because that Pratt-Reed keyboard had three buss-bars: one for each osc and one for filter CV/trigger.

If you were using a patch with a quick release, it wasn't as noticable, but if the spring contacts weren't adequately clean, the oscs would jerk around scratchily in a most irritating manner, even if you weren't playing two notes. And the contacts would inevitably carbon up & need cleaning. Because actual voltage being switched, you know...

So they really should never have claimed duophony, imo.

You modular mavens, do other CV keyboards do that? Or even have multiple busses?
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to KSS