Biamp mixer?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Biamp mixer?

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:47 pm

This may be a shot in the dark, but does anyone have an experience with biamp mixers? I had quite a few of their mixer / amp rack combos back in the day, but not one of these. I should have grabbed a photo while I was up there, but there's a huge av department here with ancient stuff that more or less eventually is going to get dumped. But it's a maybe 16 channel desk mixer with pots for everything, auxes ect.

It's a weird brand.... it's the stuff that contractors use when they set up building and rooms with permanent AV installations. You know like if your church had someone come out and put in a PA system, they'd use biamp over peavey. I don't know what the difference is, different markets I guess.. :idk:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Biamp mixer?

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Dunno. Never heard of it, much less used one. :confuse:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:04 pm

well.. then..

but seriously, Like I said, it's a long shot.. they're mostly used in the av industry. I'm gonna get it sooner or later and I'll test it out.. I'm kinda putting together a shopping list from up there and I'm gonna do room do over I think. I need some me time and I need to be creative.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Not sure what a "biamp mixer" is. However:

When my band played out, we used triamping. The mixer was a conventional mixer, but the signal was first fed to a Peavey crossover which split the signal to 3: high, mid-low, and sub. These three signals were then fed separately to 3 amps. The outputs from the high and mid-low amps were sent to speaker cabs that could take separate signals for the drivers, and the sub was sent to a single 18" folder horn sub. It went THUMP.

But, none of this had anything to do with the mixer. Maybe the mixer you're looking at has the final output crossover built-in?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:20 am

It's a brand. . peavey Yamaha biamp. :lol: it has nothing to do with amping... :lol:

Like I said, its an av industry brand and not something you find at guitar centaur. I'll snag a few pics me t week and even bring it home probably...
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:22 am

Clearly my reading comprehension score has been dropping lately. :facepalm: DERP
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:24 am

And you wanna be my latex salesman...:lol:
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:52 am

MetroSonus wrote:It's a weird brand....
Nah, Mang, it ain't even.

Biamp™ brand mixers and amps have been well regarded for over 35 years. I've seen lotsa live bands using those mixers. They're pretty good, imo.

But, an old mixer that's been sitting in a dusty danky storeroom can be moar of a fixer-upper than you'd want to futz with. All those dis-used faders are especially susceptible to pot-scrudge and schmelkus, to say nothing of all the 'lytics. But but, I'd definitely grab it if I could. But but but I wouldn't pay too much, if indeed any monies would be expected...
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 am

Free... So you say its aight? Its been in a cupboard so its relatively clean...
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:13 am

All I can say is I've seen a lot of them in use by live nightclub bands. It might be too noisy for studio work, but for the price, you've gotta try it, eh? You can always sell it to a garage band...
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Hey well see cause its for free... Heh. Maybe there's some heavy metal ghost lurking around in it that will spice up my recordings
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:All I can say is I've seen a lot of them in use by live nightclub bands. It might be too noisy for studio work, but for the price, you've gotta try it, eh? You can always sell it to a garage band...

That's the impression I get from The Interwebs... they are good live mixers, noisier than a top notch recording console but much better than the shitty Peavey type consoles I've seen some live dive bars use "back in the day".

Unlike modern cheap consoles, The Interwebs seems to suggest these consoles are solidly built. So if nothing else, this would be an excellent console to (at the very least) donate to a practice studio or other locale where the inevitable "bandmate spills the beer on the console" event is going to occur.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Back when I was doing the music thing more seriously, Ramsa boards were pretty well regarded. Just thought I'd through that barely-releated piece of trivia out there. LULZ
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Mixers have gotten so much better in recent years, especially where it concerns the preamps and noise floor, that I don't know if I'd go for an old mixer like that. There's a reason they're cheap.
Even Behringer mixers have good preamps now :eek:

The question is, do you really need it? I've been luckily talking myself out of "good deals" that I've seen, for things I won't actually use :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Have I ever told you about that time I used a mixer? Yeah. Good times. :thu:

This thread is now about patch bays. Discuss.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Its free. Lol. Its mostly unused so if its noise free, bonus. If not, I may keep it around if it adds interesting color to my sounds cause I want to start connecting noise making junk together. If not, trash.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Well, I don't know about adding this "color" you speak of, but way back in teh '80s, we used to wear all sorts of (questionable) colors. It was the in thing, mang.

I'm gonna derail this thread if it kills me.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 am

Don't make me drive a Miata through this thread.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Whelp, turned on the mixer, the power supply made a humming sound and it shocked me when I touched it. Hence forth, I have put it back from whence it came.

so ffffffffffffpppppppppppppppptttttttttttttttttttttttt :tounge:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:43 pm

lol, mixer said "NO!"
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to KSS