What does everyone thing about roland's aria?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

What does everyone thing about roland's aria?

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Apparently they're going to be all VA versions of roland's classic boxes.. or so we assume. The 808 is first and we can mostly assume with some degree of certainty that the 303 is nextfollowed by at least maybe, the 101? After that who knows :idk: the 909 is also a good bet.

But given that these are VAs and the market is already flooded with soft and hard (snicker) versions of these boxes.. do you think it's viable for roland to sell these or are they trying to cash in a bit too late?

My guess, they're using spin off technology from the Fantom line (if they want to keep the cost down) or that supernatural stuff. They'll be bought by some, lauded by others and then discontinued later on. And we won't see the level of commitment that korg has had to their products. Roland has a long history of putting out short term products. Korg does too, but their list isn't nearly as long as Roland's or god forbid Yamaha's. That kind of gives me teh sad because I always tend to think more is better with this kind of thing regardless, but knowing they may just be a token offering is a bit depressing. I can't tell you how many old Roland techno toys that pop up from time to time that I've never even heard of feh..

Live PA types are a super minority. Most people that would want these would either go for the real thing, or just use software and considering these are just VAs... Well you see my point. So they either need to be super cheap or super good. Whatchall think?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: What does everyone thing about roland's aria?

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:36 pm

IF it sounds good and is reasonably priced, I might bite on this. I REALLY need to upgrade my drum machine, and I'm a known software hater. So, yea.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Unfortunately, software haters are the minority these days... :idk: My thought in another forum was that this would sell well, or not, only based on how well it integrates with the DAW, and/or advanced features that could be integrated in a plugin.

Standalone boxes really have taken a hit these days... much of the world has moved to software controllers ala Maschine or Push even for rhythm, and there are some excellent VA 808 plugins for the PC already (eg D16 Nepheton). I think some full featured machines (the Akai sample boxes, Machinedrum, etc.) sell okay, sure.

But look at what Akai did -- the latest MPC is the MPC Renaissance, which does from what I understand include extensive integration with the computer in the form of their own software or a VST plugin. That's where everyone is moving these days.

What if Roland moves this direction? EG: If the Aria TR-08 is a VA sort of MPC Renaissance, that can stand alone as a one knob per function type of drum machine but also work with the computer? Get the software right and you are golden.

I'm honestly skeptical based on Roland's history that they can do this though. Best bet is yet another cheap cash-in on their "legendary" 80s analog machines.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:16 pm

I'd be all for it man. IMO, why software is moving ahead, controllers have fallen behind. I've said what a weird twist it's been that in the past, controllers had more features and now they have lest as most seem to be aimed as mixing surfaces and not synth controllers.

That's why I"m seriously looking at spark. I like the 'tribe style sequencer and it's one midi out, combine with Live, should be enough for me to bridge the gap. But there's plenty of progress to be made........
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Standalone boxes are definitely becoming a thing of the past, you're right. And if it integrates with DAWs nicely - great! As long as it'll make noises that sound good without being connected to anything else, I will like it.

Nord came out with a standalone VA drum machine not too long ago, and I was very interested. But I heard lots of demos on YouTubez, and I thought it sounded like ass. So maybe this one won't sound like ass.

Things that sound like ass, suck.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm sure it will not be much cheaper than the actual analogue Roland copies out there. But people will still buy it because it says "Roland" on it.

Now the new workstation from Roland actually sounds enticing, because it has a good interface, is affordable and supposedly has the Integra engine in it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 pm

I have the supernatural drum card for my fantom g. it's pretty sweet for synthesizing 'acoustic' drums (you can change the length, width, etc of the drums, 'mic' position, etc) so they def have lots of r&d in the drum synthesis dept

where the card is lacking is synthesis options for 808 & 909 or other electronic drum sounds, ironically. I think all you can adjust is pitch and maybe length, I don't remember. the fantom sequencer is pretty easy to use and it has drum pads but I usually trigger it with USB midi from logic

I'm kinda curious about these boxes but chances are I won't bite. there's lots of modular options, jomox, etc for 808 style bass drums and everything but it's usually easier (and cheaper) for me to synthesize them in ultra beat or tune samples in battery 4
gregwar

Postby bentley » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:15 am

Actually excited to see what they've come up with and am hoping it'll all be worth checking out. Only time will tell...
bentley

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:25 am

More or less... I'm always hopeful and cynical. Anything new is good and down the line a ways is better usually.

But at the same time, I'm hoping these aren't just mc303 - sh32 throw outs...
MetroSonus

Postby bentley » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:09 am

Yeah, another MC303 would be tragic. So much speculation at the moment it's ridiculous. I do kind of dig the look of the small glimpses they have given us.
bentley

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, Roland's been recycling their own stuff for 20 years, what makes you think this will be any different :)

If you do, I'd look up the definition of insanity.

Ok ok, I do admit the Supernatural thingie was clever, though. They finally made their COSM idea work, it seems, that's what originated it all. Except, COSM sucked.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Return to KSS