Windows 8

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Windows 8

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47 pm

So, teh wyfe's new lappy has it.

:giantyellowscreen.jpg:

Holy Carp it's horrible! What an abortion! What a shameless power grab!

Nope, I don't think I like it.

Any survival tips are welcome. Is the 8.1 any better? I suppose it's worth a try.

Why won't someone order Googlebot to make a desktop OS? Androids must obey all humans, rite?
Plink Floyd

Re: Windows 8

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:14 pm

We have it on my son's computer an he likes. Kids love it! (TM),

When business and schools faill to adopt it, you'll see MS (not me) release and update that gives you "classic mode" that let's you return the start menu to the desktop. The start screen is just too hard to use and unless everyone runs dual monitors, it's very hard to use for work purposes. That's a lot of collective weight to be thrown against an OS.

The only tips I have is that you have to tactically decide what you want to open in desktop mode or "Windows 8"mode. I'd say put all your entertainment needs in Windows 8 and productivity in desktop mode.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Supposedly, 8.1 is quite a bit better according to some reviewers. *shrug*

I'm kind of avoiding 8 altogether until Microsoft gets its act together though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:37 am

I'm thoroughly impressed with win 8.1 I use it at sum other studios sometimes

I wrote a lengthy post a couple years ago about one day having a tablet with an x86 chip, enough ram, etc to do full on 'productivity' and surprisingly ms is the first real contender with the original surface pro

I really like the idea of having a full fledged os on a tablet (my biggest complaint against ios) and being able to use full versions of sonar, fruity loops, ableton, etc

then being able to dock it in the studio and connect to a larger monitor, midi keys, audio interface, etc. share screens, adjust plug-ins on the tablet, unplug and go.

win 8.1 has desktop mode so if you use your computer like a desktop it works a lot like old windows. but I really see the potential of portables and such in the very near future being totally capable of running anything a current Mac mini or laptop can run

I patiently wait for CES . . .
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:39 pm

To me the issue was the pro surface costs 1000$. The RT is about 650$. At those prices, I don't think it can compete in either category, even though I agree with you having the full OS is nice.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:14 pm

You guys probably remember my experience with Win 8. When I got my new box, I donated my old recording PC to my wifey with Win 8 on it. Ordered my new PC with Win 7 Professional. Both of us are relatively computer savvy (I think uber-geeks and gadget-freaks are what they call us these days) and my day job before getting laid off was teaching computer application classes. I've got a boatload of certifications from Microsoft for everything from Win 98 up to Win 7 - and apps from Word and Excel to Project and Publisher. With all that said, Win 8 absolutely makes getting on the computer a miserable experience. I understand it was developed with "touch" interfaces in mind. We have iPhones and iPads. I get the touch interface and love it. But if you are trying to get Win 8 to cooperate with a keyboard and mouse, it makes for a frustrating experience. I just absolutely do not understand why they couldn't have made a "Classic Mode" for those who prefer their desktop experience to be one that includes a start menu. Just sayin'
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Perhaps Microsoft will get the formula right, I'm just not sure when. I can easily see "powerful box + docking station" as a model. Finger touch isn't going to replace the mouse and keyboard as a srs work interface, because the finger just isn't precise enough for srs editing. But having something portable on the go with touch interface vs. klunky "pad" or "wiggle stick" mouse substitutions might be nice. Trouble is, you are competing with "desktop + docking station", so the cost of these Surface things has to come down or the performance has to come up.

(Perhaps the stylus or light pen can make a comeback though, as seen in the Surface tablets. It would be kind of neat to have a docking station such that your tablet could transform into an interface in itself, ala a graphics drawing tablet. That would work spiffy for CAD and art applications.)

It takes a few iterations to work out the potential of a product fully. We'll see.

The biggest gufaw I've seen is them trying to slap-jab Metro on their server OSs, which I find extremely silly. A touch oriented OS for server RDP? Yeah, right. Think about using Metro in a small RDP window. As if you need yet another reason to use Linux servers instead.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:49 am

MetroSonus wrote:To me the issue was the pro surface costs 1000$. The RT is about 650$. At those prices, I don't think it can compete in either category, even though I agree with you having the full OS is nice.

well one of the first bay trail tablets is the asus transformer book t100
http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/01/asus ... 00-review/

its $350 and has a keyboard dock in the box that essentially makes it like their netbooks but you can also undock it and use it like a 10" tablet

it has micro-usb, micro-hdmi, headphone and micro sd slots on the tablet and usb 3 on the keyboard dock, just no rear facing camera

if it wasn't for the cheap build quality (like their previous netbooks) it would be a no-brainer.

the most interesting part for me is that:
- bay trail quad core chips offer full x86 windows apps (unlike win rt, android or ios)
- has 70% of the performance of the latest intel i3 chips
- still has like 10 hours of battery life

its faster than my old c2d macbook pro, which used to be the main hub of my studio from 2009 to 2012. granted the macbook pro has 8g of ram (versus 2g in the t100) and the ssd is 240g vs 64g in the t100, still its amazing to think this tablet has potential to outperform my old macbook pro if not in this iteration than possibly in the next one
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm

My wife doesn't like it (it's on her computer). I think it's meh, but not horrible. I guess we both learned to live with it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:34 am

I think the horribleness is most apparent when you first start. I was like "OK, Win8, where are my programs? Just you get out of the way, alright? You are just an OS, so you and your 'charms' and IE and Bing and all your other BS just get in the background where you belong." Sheesh.

I hope 8.1 is better, but have yet to DL it. I just can't be arsed with it right now.

I must admit: at this point I have nothing useful to add to this discussion and should not have made this post. I just think it's fun to say arsed.

Arsed.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

Arsed.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I think the horribleness is most apparent when you first start. I was like "OK, Win8, where are my programs?

This reminds me of when I purchased my first touch-screen smart phone. The salesman handed it to me, explaining how easy it is to navigate - simply by touching - and I was all, "That's great. How do I get to the phone?"

Also, arsed.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Return to KSS