Sound Card Help ...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Sound Card Help ...

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:25 am

You guys are so good at playing computer tech that I thought I'd use you and abuse you again.

Recently, when I bought a new studio PC (which is running fabulously by the way) I donated my old recording PC to my new wifey. It was the least I could do since she authorized the new PC purchase. So, my old box was a Dell Vostro 200 for those of you that are keeping score. I had always had a sound card of some sort hooked up to it for the whole time I had it until when I donated it to her. I had upgraded to Windows 8 and it is not recognizing any sound card being installed. I know for a fact (and accoring to Dell web site) that the computer has a built-in soundcard on the MOBO. Problem seems to be Win 8. I've downloaded and installed, uninstalled and reinstalled, until I'm ready to take it to a computer shop and pay them to fix it so she can hear things. I keep getting error meassages that no audio hardware is installed. I've looked at PCI and PCI express sound cards on newegg and can't seem to find anything Win 8 compatible either. Before I shoot meself, I appeal to your combined magnitude of knowledge of such things. Any ideas? Help a brotha out!

:samsh: :wave:
midinut

Re: Sound Card Help ...

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:24 am

Its not reading the built in card? Can you see it from the back? Try support.dell.com for drivers.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:48 am

MetroSonus wrote:Its not reading the built in card? Can you see it from the back? Try support.dell.com for drivers.

I did. Downloaded and installed. They were Win 7 drivers but that was the latest and all they had. After installing it still doesn't recognized the built-in sound card.
midinut

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:57 am

Ordered one of these. If this doeasn't do it ... I give up. :grin:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829265001

Three business days from now I'll let you know.
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 am

Did you check and see if it shows up in the bios? Did you try installing the driver by pointing windows to the inf file?
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:26 am

I'll tell you what's wrong with it...

... for a Kronos.

But yeh, F2* into the bios & make sure the integrated sound card is enabled.

*I know Metro already said this, but he didn't tell you which Func key to push, which makes me teh most helpful, so the Kronos is mine.

Gimme.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Been up all night working on a Psychology assignment and quiz due later today. Done and turning in for a few hours of sleep. When I get up I will check the BIOS. Hadn't thought of that. It is entirely conceivable that the first card I put in that box (Terrarec 2496) May have disabled the internal card in the BIOS when it installed. Worth checking. Thanks guys!

And anytime you wanna drop in and play the Kronos you are welcome. :grin: :wave:
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:45 pm

It's probably disabled in the BIOS if you had an additional card installed when you were using it for your musics. You have to reactivate the onboard sound. I once had the same problem, and realized when I installed my new card, I had to turn OFF the intergrated sound card so that the new one would work. So, when you take out the "after market" one, be sure to initialize the integrated one.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:44 am

You guyz is awesome. That was exactly what the problem was. As soon as I booted it up in BIOS I could see under internal devices that it was disabled. Works like a charm now (except for the Windows 8 part - but THAT is a whole nutter can o worms ... why did they have to make it so damn different?). Anyway, you're all invited to stop by and play with my Kronos and other toys anytime you are in the neighborhood. Thanks again!
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:14 am

midinut wrote:You guyz is awesome.
Yes. Yes we iz.

So can I change my avie nao?
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 am

Yes you may ... You haz me permission.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:27 am

I Thank You! But to what should I change it? I'm clean out of ideas. I'm tired of ghotes. Maybe I'll follow your example. Where did you get that pic of the handsomely chiseled Hollywood Leading Man type dude?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:14 pm

:facepalm: maybe his photo is partly what set off the dream I had last night.

Every now and then for some reason, I have a dream in which I have to go back to highschool to finish up some class or something I didn't take. I had one again last night and Wilford Brimley was the bus driver.

I swear I'm not on drugs.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:18 pm

MetroSonus wrote::facepalm: maybe his photo is partly what set off the dream I had last night.

Every now and then for some reason, I have a dream in which I have to go back to highschool to finish up some class or something I didn't take. I had one again last night and Wilford Brimley was the bus driver.

I swear I'm not on drugs.

Did he offer a deal on your DIABEETUS testing supplies?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:19 pm

No but I asked him why he was driving a bus. I think he said something about just liking to do regular stuff now.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:26 pm

My first memories of him were from Cocoon (movie) and from a television show called "Our House." Do you remember that show? It had a young Shannon Dougherty in it, as well as Diedre Hall (sp?) and that kid Chad Allen I think. I wish I could remember important things like I can remember useless crap.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:32 pm

yeaaaaaaaaaa I can't tell you how many times I used something weird, outdated and yet appropriate in the course of a conversation and not been even able to tell you what I just said without looking it up. It's weird how that sort of stuff just jumps out there...

Yes I remember that show. I stopped watching TV in the early 2000s when 24 hour tv became a culture standard rather than exception. Sadly, I'm still too young to be too old for this shit. :lol:

We had our weekend daughter with us over the weekend and we got into watching duck dynasty with her. I felt like I was watching WWF or something. I don't know why it's so popular. The whole thing is canned, fake and pre planned. :idk:
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm

MetroSonus wrote:We had our weekend daughter with us over the weekend and we got into watching duck dynasty with her. I felt like I was watching WWF or something. I don't know why it's so popular. The whole thing is canned, fake and pre planned. :idk:

For some reason, "redneck" reality TV has been the rage lately. Yeah, I did find Duck Dynasty rather "fake" like the WWE, the whole ethos of all the characters seems like a string of WWE gimmicks.

So it's not really for me. However, I will say that it also has a rather self-aware corny flavor like the WWE. I get the impression that these guys know what they are doing, and definitely are putting on an act. (Probably some of it is part of their genuine personality, but a lot of WWE characters simply wildly extend or exaggerate a side of their personality to come up with a gimmick that works... similar concept.)

I don't know if the actual Duck Dynasty audience is in on the joke, of course... but as to why it's popular... well, the WWE is popular, right? :p
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Their wives were the first thing that made me draw a WWF comparison. They really reminded me of how some old, veiny roid's guy would have a pumped up girl half his age on his arm and of course, he'd beat up the waiter or something just because she wouldn't sit at the table that faced east because it wasn't feng suihe or something :lol: That kind of stuff was back in the 80's though.. but that's how obvious the show feels to me.

the WWE is popular, right?

exactly..

Sons of guns is just as bad.
MetroSonus

Return to KSS