eDrums

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

eDrums

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:33 am

Got me a good deal on this used apparatatatus:

It's in pretty good shape, just a few scuffs. Not bad at all for something that's meant to be walloped upon in the normal course of events. The Alesis DM5 brain is still considered perfectly adequate for live and recording work, but of course in addition to the built-in sounds I'll also use it to control VSTs. I don't like the mesh heads, especially on the kick trigger, they're all too loose. But they may just be worn out & need replacing. I guess I really don't know how mesh heads are supposed to feel, but these don't feel at all like real drums.

It has several empty trigger inputs, so, here's what I'm thinking...

I know, Iz dubble bass rowdy yahoo, so sue me. Prog rockers use double basses, you know... I already have the pedals lying around, and it should be pretty easy to stick piezo triggers into them & loose the beater part. They'll be faster that way too.
Plink Floyd

Re: eDrums

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 pm

The mesh heads are really close to the feel of actual skins, in my experience. I have a Yamaha electronic set, and it has rubber pads - totally playable, but not as close to the real thing as mesh. I bet yours are just loose.. can you adjust them, or have to replace?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 am

They were screwed down all the way & still flabbed out. But for some reason (luckily) a couple of other heads were included, and they tightened up just fine. Now I see what you mean about how they approximate the feel of real skins. The hi hat is a rubber disk & you can't play a roll on it, but you can on the mesh. It's better methinks.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm

I can do rolls on my rubber pads, but it's not like doing it on real skins. It's just a slightly different technique. AND a word of caution: Playing on those pads too long, the rubber ones, can and probably will make your wrists start to ache.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm

congrats plink !

i've always wanted sum teh dErums !

:like: :thu: :cool: :drink:
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:59 am

Maybe I'm easily entertained, but I've always found drumming to be lots of fun. I never wanted to do it full time but I've subbed a few times in live situations. I would classify my rhythmic skillz as "barely adequate for pop music".

I still think the world needs a good affordable finger drum gizmo: I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on this kit, plus my kid & his screamo frens will enjoy it.

It sounds like Mr. Self drums. Who else likes to pound em? And at what skill level?
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:58 pm

I do drum. Self-taught, but I can keep a beat. Don't know if my skills are necessarily LIVE PERFORMANCE material, but in my studio I can correct inevitable mistakes with MIDI editing. Jack of many musical instruments, master of none.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:46 pm

I no haz drumming skill, and no drums to try them on anyway. I've thought that maybe getting a kit would be Happy Fun Times, though.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:55 pm

It really is. I'd always wanted to learn to play, since I always thought I had good rhythm. Turns out, I do ;) I bet you would enjoy it too, EP. :like:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:18 am

I am thinking about adding an electronic kit to the studio. I've always heard that no matter what instrument you play, learning to play the drums improves your musicianship. That is always a good thing. There are several software tutors out there to help!

Have for Plink! They looks like a blast. I was considering the Alesis, then the Rolands, then the Yammies. Sigh!
I did break down and bought EZ Drummer though. Does this count?
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 am

midinut wrote:I've always heard that no matter what instrument you play, learning to play the drums improves your musicianship.
I've long theorized that playing multiple instruments of any type must be of overall benefit. But I recall a HC thread about this, wherein a certain Possum of the North expressed a differing opinion.

I too have EZ Drummer. I don't see much diff with that and Session Drummer which comes bundled with SONAR, except that Session has way more sounds. Imo neither of them are the best choice for use with edrum kits because they don't have continuous hi hat pedal implementation (midi CC#4). To get that, you have to buy the higher priced spread, like Toontrack Superior, Addictive Drums & maybe a few others. And make sure that the drum brain you buy has it. Mine doesn't. Maybe for EDM it wouldn't be missed, but for jazzier stuff I find the lack of 'real' hi hat response to be a considerable omission.

If anyone's interested in how E hi hats should work, see 00:12 of this vid.

Plink Floyd

Return to KSS