Outboard effects - do you/would you use them?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Outboard effects - do you/would you use them?

Postby Veracohr » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:46 am

Hey y'all,

Over the next 3 school terms I'll be making for my senior project: an analog multi-effect, modular and electronically routeable (ie. no patch cables), some parameters MIDI-controllable. I'm thinking of having four effects: 4-pole LPF, distortion, phase shifter (8 stage?) and state variable (multi-mode) filter. Possibly a flanger.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you think, if it were good enough, you would be interested in such a thing? I kind of have to make a case for it being both practically useful and have some benefit over existing products. I'm shooting for the "electronically routeable" aspect as a benefit over patch-cable modular.
Veracohr

Re: Outboard effects - do you/would you use them?

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm

I use a pedal board. :idk:

ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:47 am

I would use outboard effects. I mostly use my POD for when I'm not using softwares.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Veracohr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:48 am

My idea was basically inspired by the Sherman Filterbank, so it would be meant as more of a desktop type of studio effect, not so much a pedal.
Veracohr

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:58 am

Veracohr wrote:...how many would be interested in such a thing...more of a desktop type of studio effect, not so much a pedal...
Sounds like a good idea:

Analog: :thu: plus.

No patch cords: :thu:

Patch memories? :thu: :thu:

Ultimately, you should make what you want, and what you can get to work, since it's for a grade.

But just for the sake of blatherment: you say you have to extol the virtues of the gizmo. If that means hyping marketability, you might not want to disregard the pedal idea. Guitarists almost always have a floor full of effects, so maybe include a socket for a remote floor pedal option? If the midi implementation is thorough enough people could use one of those Behringer or Yamaha midi floor thingys.
Plink Floyd

Postby Veracohr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:30 am

That's a good idea, but I have to submit the proposal in the next 2 weeks and I want to make sure it's something I can finish. I'd rather shoot low and have ample time to complete and perfect it than shoot high and fail.

Besides, I can always save the idea for an actual product in the future, with further capabilities beyond the project version (I already have such notions...)
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Veracohr wrote:My idea was basically inspired by the Sherman Filterbank, so it would be meant as more of a desktop type of studio effect, not so much a pedal.

Sounds delicious. Now, if you made it rack mountable... :grin:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:38 pm

I haven't really used any external effects on synths, I just do it on guitar of course.

And now my current gig has me playing acoustic guitar and singing, so I'm not even using effects at this point!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:51 pm

i love all outboard effects, from digital and analog in guitar pedals, rack gear, dsp cards/boxes, etc

i had a sherman filterbank 1 and loved it but if you're going desktop make the option to rack it and use a different form factor. something like the moog rme, super jupiter mpg 80, virus c, etc all had a more versatile form factor. the sherman just was so weird looking in my rack lol

i just got my 2 serge shop panels today that are mainly audio processors:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

the serges are cool because generally it doesn't differentiate between audio and cv you can patch anything anywhere. i'm not sure if there's a wider appeal to these but ken's cat girl synth site has tons of pcbs and parts lists with some technical details if you were so inclined.

i personally like stuff like the cacophonator and gristleizer but there's designs on kens site for phasers, resonant eqs, banks of bandpass filters, cmos filters, wave folders/multipliers, steiner-parker style filters, ring mods, etc.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/#cgs95

my only other point is that depending on the 'target audience' i'm not sure about adding midi, unless its important to you. i found on things like the dp/4, filterbank, v-synth gt, adrenalinn 3, etc that i didn't use the midi ever i just twisted knobs (altho patch memory is def awesome).
gregwar

Postby donaldcrunk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 am

gregwar wrote:i love all outboard effects, from digital and analog in guitar pedals, rack gear, dsp cards/boxes, etc

i had a sherman filterbank 1 and loved it but if you're going desktop make the option to rack it and use a different form factor. something like the moog rme, super jupiter mpg 80, virus c, etc all had a more versatile form factor. the sherman just was so weird looking in my rack lol

i just got my 2 serge shop panels today that are mainly audio processors:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

the serges are cool because generally it doesn't differentiate between audio and cv you can patch anything anywhere. i'm not sure if there's a wider appeal to these but ken's cat girl synth site has tons of pcbs and parts lists with some technical details if you were so inclined.

i personally like stuff like the cacophonator and gristleizer but there's designs on kens site for phasers, resonant eqs, banks of bandpass filters, cmos filters, wave folders/multipliers, steiner-parker style filters, ring mods, etc.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/#cgs95

my only other point is that depending on the 'target audience' i'm not sure about adding midi, unless its important to you. i found on things like the dp/4, filterbank, v-synth gt, adrenalinn 3, etc that i didn't use the midi ever i just twisted knobs (altho patch memory is def awesome).

:eek: :eek: :eek: that's going to be a killer modular when you're done
donaldcrunk

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 pm

has any one run VSTs through external stuff?

I've got some euro rack stuff I need to get together and I thought I'd try running VSTs trough S&TGs sea devil filter, for a start. And then I thought it'd be fun to get old eqs, op amp amps ect to drive various things too.

Long story short, being more of an ambient guy, Iv'e always been a sample maniac. Believe it or not, most of my ambient music is only one or two 8-16 barish loops that have been processed and layered in different ways.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes, but not very often. It's just too convenient to stick with ITB type setups. :idk: (In other words, I attribute that more to my laziness than anything else.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

What I would would do, ideally, is to jam out and record it down to an SD recorder like one of those zoom mics with the storage and line in. Then when I'm done, load the card and drop everything into Live.

I seriously could not be bothered to sequence and recall everything going through an external setup. That takes the fun out of the spontaneity to me anyway. Quite frequently, I've found quite a few samples I had made and forgotten about and fell in love with on the spot.

If I had tried to do that on purpose, I never would have been able to.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Metro, what kind of samples are you talking about (just curious)? Like, things made with a field recorder, or sampling from movies or.. ?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Anything and everything really... sequenced synth bits, a drum loop, field recordings, a drone..

I've frequently found that while I'm trying to work on purpose, I tend to not take in the whole scope of what i'm doing as I'm usually focusing on one aspect of it at a time. Trying to get the filter right, the effects or something and I'm not really hearing the whole sound but rather one part of it.

I guess for me, a lot of my best bits (heh) that I've made, I found once I rediscovered them. Meaning that I was solely focused on making that one bit and not a whole song. So then later, I had an opportunity to go back and lsintedn to them without remembering or worrying about what I was at the time and I can see them in their entirety.

And then from there, I feel inspired to work them into songs.

http://infrared.bandcamp.com/

For instance, everything here is probably 80% old recycled material of mine. Meaning that at the time, i just made a pad with some effects, jammed out on it, forgot about it, found it later and said "hey I can put a few of these together and make a song!".

The process is a bit different for something with structure, but sometimes I can find neat drums or a synth line or something that will work in the junk pile of bits I have :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Ah. I bet your sample library is HUEG.

Also, what do you use for field recording?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Yea, it's pretty well organized too. That's part of the fun though, just making up stuff and not worrying about how to use it. It's also good for me too with what little time I have to put into music these days.

Back in the day I used a Marantz pro DAT and a higher end Shure mic. Sooner or later though I'm going to get a Zoom recorder w/ line in. It'd be more portable and I can carry it with me to be spontaneous like Busch Gardens or work or something.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm

You know what's sad? I have used the VOICE MEMO RECORDER on my iPhone for sampling in the field, and it didn't turn out as horrible as expected. :eek:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Veracohr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:47 am

I just opened my box of goodies for my project and had to share this because I thought it was funny. This is one for the Official Register of Excessive Packaging.

This is a DAC chip in a VSSOP surface mount package. I was picking through all the little packages of components and came to this big bulky one, labeled as the DAC, and I found inside a cardboard box. This is what I found inside (dime added for scale):

DAC.jpg
DAC.jpg (174.15 KiB) Viewed 3486 times

I love that the packaging is 50 million times bigger than the chip. It also had a big "Fragile" sticker on the box. I got a bunch of other chips of the same general size that were in nowhere near that kind of packaging. Makes me wonder if the thing is so fragile, is it really useable in a moveable device?
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Wow. :lol:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to KSS