SONAR

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: SONAR

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 pm

$149 upgrade to X3 from X2. Yeesh. :freak:

Looks like it can do just about everything, though. Theses days, with a DAW like Sonar, a good set of softies, and a modern PC, I think it's getting harder and harder to justify using external synths.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:01 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:$149 upgrade to X3 from X2. Yeesh. :freak:
Just wait till spring when it's $100. Or fall, when it goes to $50 just before X4 drops.

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Yar. Looks like I'll be one version behind for a while.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Are there 149 dollars worth of upgrades?

I like the price of my upgrades. 0 dollars.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 pm

See, that's just it. I don't see $149 worth of upgrades. $100 maaaaybe. For $50, it'd be a no-brainer for me, and is why I upgraded last week from X1 to X2.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Y U NO LIEK MELODYNE?

But I predict this will be the last upgrade that's anywhere near this cheap. The next version will be more expensive than any other daw, for no real reason except

Just, y'know, because Gib$on™.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Gibson bought Roland/Sonar??

Edit: oh, a search shows it's just Cakewalk. Roland must be hurting financially.

And Cakewalk will be called Tascam Software. I'm not making this up...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:17 pm

christianrock wrote:Edit: oh, a search shows it's just Cakewalk. Roland must be hurting financially.

Hmm, maybe so. But that's weird in some ways. Selling the *software* side doesn't sound like a great idea in today's marketplace.

I would personally think it's pretty rough in the standard hardware keyboard market these days (as in, standard workstations etc.) and to be honest that's what you'd want to tone down first. Well, that would be my advice if you asked me.

It's all the computer's fault. TBH, I bet more Radio Hits etc. have Cakewalk Z3ta sounds on them than sounds from the Roland Jupiter 80.

Korg's probably doing alright because it spotted the Vintage Analog and Cheap Noizemakers trend early, and Yamaha has other markets (marching bands, pianos, etc.).

Roland has its niches too (V-Drums, geetar pedals) and they *could* exploit the Vintage Analog / Cheap Noizemakers trend if it wanted to. If they reissued the 303 for instance, there would be a helluv a lot of Nostalgic 1990s Ravers who'd line up to buy one so they could pretend they were Fatboy Slim back in the day or something. :lol: Same with the TR-808, which in this case would be for the Hip Hop Bling (TM) crowd. (An analog / digital drum machine that could act as a VST ala the Virus TI would be the most interesting route to explore, given the continued popularity of the TR-808 sounds in both crunk / trap / Southern hip hop and this new fangled "trapstep" thingy. But I don't expect innovation from Roland. :lol:)

Not sure why they haven't gone the cheap nostalgia route TBH. :idk:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm

It's their philosophy as a company - to look forward and never backward.

Except for their Boss line. Their "Fender amps" line of pedals comes to mind... but at least they were doing something that hadn't been done before, so probably they felt justified doing it.

As for selling the software side, they must be hurting really bad for cash and it was the one thing they were able to sell. I remember AudacityWorks saying a while back, like 2-3 years ago, that one of the major 3 was hurting so bad financially that they had to change the distribution business - I don't remember what it was exactly but at the time I thought it must be Roland. Roland's the one that hasn't been able to release hardly anything in the last few years. I look at the Musicians Friend catalog and I hardly see any Roland keyboards, maybe 1 or 2. Clavia will have way more than that and is probably doing much better business now. Same with Moog. And of course, Yamahas and Korgs are always plenty - relatively speaking, as there's only 3-4 pages of keyboards at most, including the digital pianos and the cheap Casio stuff.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:56 am

It's time to tread teh mill again. $74.50 ups me to X3. I'm tempted, mostly because Addictive Drums...
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:It's time to tread teh mill again. $74.50 ups me to X3. I'm tempted, mostly because Addictive Drums...

Thanks for the heads-up, Plinky. For $75, I think I'll do it. I'm interested to see what this "NEW comping workflow" feature is, and if it makes recording noodling any easier.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:19 am

Of course you know this means X4 is about to drop.

Or maybe it'll be called TASCAR 1?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:45 pm

I don't know, but you're probably right.

Seriously, though, it seems like Sonar just adds more and more VSTs and whatnot, to a fault. Like, there's Addictive Drums, StudioDrummer, and Beatscape. How many drums do you need? And that doesn't even touch the tonal synths.

I kind of would prefer that they just sell Sonar with ALL the features but none of the synth. Why they not do that?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:32 pm

To compete with Reason and Live and all the other band in a box softwares.

Honestly I would prefer it if live wouldn't come with anything either. The only thing I like in it is the ping pong delay. That's just me though. It's expensive and it still doesn't fix basic workflow issues, so I'm kinda settin on my version for the time being and not upgrading until it's unavoidable or they implement some mind blowing feature that changes everything.

All in all, in bloats the cost, if I had to pick, I'd rather have studio quality effects (compressors, EQ etc) from some one like Slate or something and while giving up the synts and loops and stuff.

I highly doubt that anyone getting into Sonar or Live is a beginner and needs the near freebie stuff.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Certainly not teh "Producer" level products, probably not a beginner, no. But those are the ones that come with all the "value-add" crap.

/old-man-yells-at-software.jpg
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 pm

You know who I blame? Geetar players :grin: all those add ins are probably just to bring them in for the recording while having to save them the trouble of buying a Casio.

I can't tell you how many times in the last decade I've been to someone's uncles house to check out their rig And its cakewalk and a Casio. Or if they're really swanky an N1!!

Is it ever cubase? Hell naw.. Cakewalk and geetars go together like cigarettes and beer :grin:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:24 pm

Yes. Blame it on me.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:39 pm

MetroSonus