SONAR

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: SONAR

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:09 am

oh is it that time again? I guess I better go have a look...
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

BAH HUMBUG to you Sonar people.

Get Reaper and get free upgrades for years to come.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:14 pm

christianrock wrote:BAH HUMBUG
User avatar
selfinflikted
Down in it
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Mobile, Alabama

Re: SONAR

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 pm

christianrock wrote:BAH HUMBUG


selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:BAH HUMBUG


The Dickens you say!

Anyway I don't fear Reaper, I just couldn't get it to work the couple of times I tried it. Plus, teh interface was weird. But I've always said "If yer just starting out, try very hard to like it", cause, y'know, free...
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: SONAR

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Yeahhhhh, I think I better get it. Because, you know. Upgrade treadmill. Yeah. :mad:
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
christianrock wrote:BAH HUMBUG


selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:BAH HUMBUG


The Dickens you say!

Anyway I don't fear Reaper, I just couldn't get it to work the couple of times I tried it. Plus, teh interface was weird. But I've always said "If yer just starting out, try very hard to like it", cause, y'know, free...


Not free.

After 30 days you're supposed to pay for it.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 am

Oh yeah, I forgot that. Try it free for 60 days, then it's $60 for a year's license. It's a wonderful thing if you like it. Moar power to them, I say.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: SONAR

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:49 pm

christianrock wrote:Not free. After 30 days you're supposed to pay for it.


It's still a pretty cheap DAW. Probably because Justin Frankel got set for life when AOL bought out Winamp.

(In which case, this would be one of the few times one could ever say, God bless AOL.)
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot that. Try it free for 60 days, then it's $60 for a year's license. It's a wonderful thing if you like it. Moar power to them, I say.


Not a year's licence. It's a licence until a certain version (right now until 5.99, it's at 4.4). The 60 bucks should last for at least 3-4 years, maybe 5 or more as their development seems to have slowed down a bit.

In actuality, if you want to keep version 5 and its once it comes out, the 60 dollars becomes all you pay. Ever. But that's the same as your current DAW.
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12164
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 pm

So I bought the Sonar X2 upgrade while it's still fiffy bucks. It awaits my time to install it.

woot.
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32 pm

aint that a stinker? Even like if you order something, you sit there watching the tracking and waiting for it to get to you. When it finally does you're like "eh, I'll look at it later?" :lol:

I remember when I was a teenager, i wanted to skip school to wait on a package. My son is doing that now too :lol: Not skipping, but wanting to to play with what ever it is..
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8459
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 pm

MetroSonus wrote:aint that a stinker?
Yea verily it reeketh mightily. The newest SONAR download is at least 12 huge files totaling over 13 GB. So even if you have Speedy Intertrons™, it's a multi-day pita. Let us not speak of the interminable vigil endured by those of us in the stix with basic DSL.

:shudder.jpg:
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: SONAR

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I considered shelling out the extra $20 and having them ship an actual Box with Media. Not because my intertrons are slow (they're not), but because my DAW doesn't have net access. I'm having... issues... with my home network configuration, which I won't bore you with.

So I mostly just have to figure out how best to transport about a dozen GB from my laptop to my DAW. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I've got a 16GB thumb drive somewhere...
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby gregwar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 pm

ya i got logic x but still use logic 9 for now because i need my old 32 bit plug-ins for mixing

the logic x instrument/library packages are still downloading like weeks later, altho the main daw was the first download and it works good.

i would consider chopping beats in logic x but when it comes to my usual 60+ track rap sessions with all the vocals, doubles, incidental sound effects and the beat i just don't want to have done all that work and the session breaks and must be reconstructed in logic 9

i still use logic 8 on my laptop and the battery is totally dead so if the stupid magsafe adapter (designed to unplug easily :facepalm:) comes out the laptop just shuts off. if i'm halfway through a beat the session can be corrupted or just crash when i restart the laptop and reopen the session.

i wish logic had the touch screen capabilities of sonar and winblows in general
User avatar
gregwar
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby gregwar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:30 am

gibson is likely going to buy cakewalk/sonar

http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/release.a ... kewalk-Inc

it looks like they'll rebrand it as tascam professional software (tascam is also owned by gibson)

i personally don't like tascam, as they're notorious for not supporting their audio interfaces and apparently not caring about their users. they also dropped the ball on gigasampler :facepalm:

they're planning to continue the cakewalk brand for 'consumer' stuff and using the tascam pro software brand for pro stuff
User avatar
gregwar
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:03 am

Huh. I've always viewed Tascam as entry level stuff, but maybe I'm just uninformed.

Well, maybe our fren will keep things straight:

Craig Anderton Named Executive Vice President, Evangelist for Gibson

He's always liked Cakewalk.
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: SONAR

Postby midinut » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:33 am

Isn't Sonar used in submarines? :facepalm: :idk: :wave: :clap:
User avatar
midinut
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 am

Re: SONAR

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:50 am

And by BATS!

:eek:
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: SONAR

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:04 pm

gregwar wrote:i personally don't like tascam, as they're notorious for not supporting their audio interfaces and apparently not caring about their users. they also dropped the ball on gigasampler :facepalm:


That's the thing everyone is mentioning on the forums... Gibson is notorious in Teh Synth World for buying companies only to shutter them a few years later. :facepalm: (See: Opcode Vision, Oberheim. Tascam/Gigasampler is another zinger).

Between that and their notorious tendency to questionably sue everyone (Paper Jamz, Guitar Hero) they've never been a company I've admired.
BC | SC
User avatar
soundwave106
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: SONAR

Postby gregwar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:20 pm

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=16588

sonar x3

sonar is really the only other daw I care about aside from logic. it's much more advanced and interesting than most others.

they're one of the first to embrace multi touch, 64 bits, etc maybe roland just needed some quick cash and sold it, I dunno.

either way I hope they continue to embrace new technologies. I'd really like to be able to just tell my computer/daw what to do.

"mini open logic, make 8 soft tracks, track 1 this and that plug-in, etc"

I'm the only person I know that uses Siri for like as much as possible, I just hate going into an app, looking up a contact, calling them, etc I just tell Siri to do it. logic 11 maybe ? lol
User avatar
gregwar
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to KSS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest