SONAR

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

SONAR

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:55 am

Price Drop! To upgrade to SONAR Producer 8.5 it's now $199 to me, instead of $250.

Now tell me: will it go lower? If not, how long will it stay here? I'll go $199, but I'd rather give $149 next month.

Bets, please.
Plink Floyd

Re: SONAR

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:47 am

Wut? I'm the only one who thinks fifty bux isn't tuppence? Sheesh. OK, Rockafellers, I'll lay out the two large.
:mad:
But I don't want to buy it too soon: when, d'ya think, will be the date after which they will give you the Version 9 upgrade for free or discounted? Any historical recollections?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:47 am

If memory serves, they usually discount the current version just prior to a new release, and they usually only discount it once. I imagine that's the best it's gonna be.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:11 am

Thankee for you input. I feel good about this.

Before I had SONAR, I went through a few versions of CW Home Studio. I remember buying an upgrade once, and a few weeks later they offered it for free! I was definitely outside the official window, but I called them & they gave it to me anyway.
:clap:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:58 am

Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 am

:facepalm:

X1 = $99 more.

:mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:41 pm

That's why you should get Reaper :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:54 pm

I'ma get it. That's less than they're usual upgrade price, AND it looks like they've completely reworked the UI and workflow for the better. Sonar really needed that.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:47 am

christianrock wrote:That's why you should get Reaper :lol:
I tried the demo, & it's enough different from Cake that I just didn't feel like learning a whole new world of UI. If Reaper had been available when I first started DAWing, I'm sure I'd be using it now. Lotsa people love it.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Well, then imagine the jump I would have to make - from hardware recording, to software. I'm thinking that with two toddlers, I just can't afford the time to make that jump at this point...

Might have to buy more tapes...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Is that tape even made anymore? Where do you get it?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:58 pm

There are still two manufacturers, one in the USA and one in Europe, that make analog tape. Both are sold at a store called Tape Warehouse just down the road from where I work :heh: Despite the name, their main business is digital media nowadays...

You can also find it on Ebay sometimes, but it's getting more and more rare.

I also have a couple ADAT machines with some 10 brand new tapes + some 6 partially used tapes in good shape (need 2 at a time for 16 tracks). At my current recording rate, that might be enough for my life time... ok that's not a good thought :eek:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 pm

I dunno, if I were as committed as you seem to be to teh tape, then I think I'd be stockpiling! :grin:

Or maybe just wake up and smell the DAW coffee... pokepokepokepoke
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:47 pm

christianrock wrote:Well, then imagine the jump I would have to make - from hardware recording, to software. I'm thinking that with two toddlers, I just can't afford the time to make that jump at this point...

Might have to buy more tapes...

Well, you don't really need fancy DAW software or even a top shelf PC to digitize and store your finished audio. No one but you will hear it direct from tape, anyway. 24/96 (and better) audio interfaces are pretty cheap nowadays, esp used.

How many re-recordings will mag tape take? How long does it last on the shelf, and, after recording, how long do the magnety bits stay magnety? I'd think you'd want to digitize for long term security, if for no other reaason. Blank DVDs are a dime each.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Well, once I mix my projects, I obviously record them in digital format, and they then become CDs. And I move on... I've posted my music online before, several times, and it wasn't in tape format :p

Ok, here's what I'm looking at right now.

I still want to continue working with my hardware units. I think I still would rather record/mix in hardware (tape or ADAT) and mix it down to my Alesis Masterlink (digital, you bitches).

My biggest need is on the sequencing side. I'm not keen on using the Fusion for that, it's very cumbersome.

Soooo the guy that sold me the SH-201 gave me a free midisport 2x2. So I'm thinking, I could get some cheap or free MIDI sequencer to only sequence MIDI (no audio) on a computer. Then I'd record the synths outputs to my recorders and add vocals and guitars and maybe bass there. That would probably be better than buying a hardware sequencer, and since it's just MIDI and no audio, it should be pretty simple, or am I going to end up with the worst of both worlds here (complex and very little flexibility)?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:45 pm

christianrock wrote:Well, once I mix my projects, I obviously record them in digital format, and they then become CDs. And I move on... I've posted my music online before, several times, and it wasn't in tape format :p
:autofacepalm: Obvious man says obviousities.

the guy that sold me the SH-201 gave me a free midisport 2x2
ME too, but I got a USB Midisport 4X4. Haven't tried it yet...
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 pm

Well if it's obvious, why did you say I need to save my tape work? Once it's mixed, it's saved. I don't get it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:06 am

christianrock wrote:Well if it's obvious, why did you say I need to save my tape work? Once it's mixed, it's saved. I don't get it.

I wuz poking fun at myself for unnessecarily saying obvious things, hence the :autofacepalm:, with which I meant to imply a facepalm administered toward my own general direction.

I obviously record them in digital format, and they then become CDs. And I move on... I've posted my music online before, several times, and it wasn't in tape format :p
I did not know that. :thu:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:15 pm

I just ripped my latest "poor-man-mastered"* version of my CD to mp3 and should be posting a song to my box.net account later today :thu:

*the plan is to play churches and sell CDs, and once I have the first run of 1000 sold, to have it properly mastered for the subsequent runs. If I ever get that far, of course. Maybe only my mom will buy it...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:51 am

I really like Pentagon I. It hasn't worked at all since I got 8.5, and today I finally went to cakeforum & figured it out. I would have spent many hours with it had I not been tragically encumbered with dumb stuff like making room in teh garage for teh cars and fixing weather stripping around doors n shit like that.

I gotta map the soft knobbies to my Radium so I can twist em & ffffwwwweeeeEEEEEERRRRRAAAAOOOOOUUUUUUMMMMMMMmmmmm.
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to KSS