Upgrading DAW PC

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Upgrading DAW PC

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 am

Yea and just as easily you can use the second hdd for backup or external storage.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:35 am

So if I bought a PC already configured say with i7, 12-16GB of RAM and a 1TB 7200 HD - and I wanted to add a 256GB SSD, how would that work? Windows 7/8 will already be on the 1TB drive. I believe I could load just about all my VST's (including Omnisphere - and still have room for Komplete later) and Cubase 7 on that SSD and then use the HDD for storing projects I'm not working on. Would that neccessitate creating a dual-boot machine where I could choose which drive to boot off of? Would I have to buy another version of Windows to put on the SSD or could I use the OEM disk that "usually" comes with a new PC?
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:09 pm

midinut wrote:So if I bought a PC already configured say with i7, 12-16GB of RAM and a 1TB 7200 HD - and I wanted to add a 256GB SSD, how would that work? Windows 7/8 will already be on the 1TB drive. I believe I could load just about all my VST's (including Omnisphere - and still have room for Komplete later) and Cubase 7 on that SSD and then use the HDD for storing projects I'm not working on. Would that neccessitate creating a dual-boot machine where I could choose which drive to boot off of? Would I have to buy another version of Windows to put on the SSD or could I use the OEM disk that "usually" comes with a new PC?

I would think that when you buy a PC, one of the things you would get would be a Windows 7/8 disc with the software key on it. That would be (mostly) all you would need to do an install from scratch. So, all this means is simply swapping the 1TB OS drive with the 256GB SSD, insert the CD/DVD into the optical drive, the Windows 7/8 install should start up. Complete that and you're mostly good to go.

You may need to grab some drivers for this new OS install, particularly for graphics card drivers, sound, etc. You should get a disc with that on it too. If not, there's always consulting the Internet.

The best part about a new OS install: No "crapware" that a lot of retail PC manufacturers throw on their PCs (because $$$ from crapware companies are more important than your PC's performance. :mad:)

The only "snafu" is if your store bought PC uses any non-standard hardware. (I've seen that on occasion, but usually not for HDDs, more like for things like RAM.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm

soundwave106 wrote:I would think that when you buy a PC, one of the things you would get would be a Windows 7/8 disc with the software key on it. That would be (mostly) all you would need to do an install from scratch. So, all this means is simply swapping the 1TB OS drive with the 256GB SSD, insert the CD/DVD into the optical drive, the Windows 7/8 install should start up. Complete that and you're mostly good to go.

You may need to grab some drivers for this new OS install, particularly for graphics card drivers, sound, etc. You should get a disc with that on it too. If not, there's always consulting the Internet.

Yes, this indeed. Only make DAMN sure you have a copy of the NIC drivers on a thumb drive waiting to go, or else there will be no internets for your fresh install. Though, like SW says, a disc with all the drivers should come with the system, but I have made the NIC mistake before (that system was self-built, and there was no driver disc). Windows *should* come equipped with generic NIC drivers, but you can just never tell.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 pm

soundwave106 wrote:I would think that when you buy a PC, one of the things you would get would be a Windows 7/8 disc with the software key on it.

The last 3 new Windows computers I've had (2 at home, 1 at work) were not like that. If you wanted to reinstall Windows you had to download it on a different computer and burn a DVD.
The software key is now usually on the bottom of the computer itself. But that was for notebooks; desktops may still have all that on a disk...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:09 pm

That's normally the first thing I do when putting windows on a PC. You'd be surprised though, trying to track down the correct NIC drivers can be a surprising pain in aspen, same goes for wireless.

I think in this day and age, like VGA, there needs to be some base level, generic compatible driver for wireless or NICs. That way you can at least get up and running and out to the OEM website to get the right drivers.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:57 am

Whichever way I go I will make sure to ask about the CD/DVDs that come with it. You guys have been a ton of help on this. Thank you so much.

I've never used an SSD drive in a PC. Is it really THAT big of a difference? Those of you that mentioned it make it sound like night & day.

Also, am I thinking correctly or should I just put Windows only on the SSD and install everything else to the 7200 HDD?
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:07 pm

midinut wrote:I've never used an SSD drive in a PC. Is it really THAT big of a difference? Those of you that mentioned it make it sound like night & day.

Well, boot time is cut in half, that's always a plus. :)

If you go the SSD route, you should also install applications on the SSD, especially those applications with a ton of library files and the like... SSDs are much better at random access. Applications will appear to open much more "instantly" for that reason, even mega-hog applications (eg Adobe Photoshop opening in only a few seconds).
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:20 am

So a 256GB SSD (they are going for around $200US) would be enough room you think?
midinut

Postby gregwar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 am

in a daw its advisable you have 2-3 hard drives. one 'system' (os, apps, plug-ins), one 'project' (midi files, project settings, multi-tracked audio), and an optional sample library drive for heavy kontakt, omni/trili, alchemy, etc use

the project drive doesn't need to be an ssd. it's main duty is to hold multi tracked audio and you can record or stream up to 100 tracks in real-time on an hdd. I don't use one since I almost never use that much audio (I use mainly midi/soft synths) so I just keep my projects on the main system drive

the system drive can benefit from being an ssd but once windows has booted and you've launched your daw software performance gains are marginal. I have a 240g ssd in my laptop and it wakes from sleep a bit faster but logic still seems to take a while to boot. the main downside is I always run out of space and need to move stuff off the laptop

for sample libraries and back up I use 2 external hard drives. one is tied to my laptop and one to my mini desktop but are swappable & redundant. I use a ton of sample libraries and would see the greatest benefit here from an ssd but would need one large enough to hold said libraries.
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:22 am

gregwar wrote:in a daw its advisable you have 2-3 hard drives.
In a video editing puter, multi HDDs are essential. In fact, HAI-def vid guys will point and laugh if you don't RAID.

midinut wrote:So a 256GB SSD (they are going for around $200US) would be enough room you think?
imo it's enough. That's what size mine is, along with a 2TB storage drive. A 512 SSD would be great, but they're still too salty.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:54 am

So, the ASUS GeForce® GTX 660 Ti finally went on sale. I haz it. Here it is:

It has Pipes! [cosby]Piiiiieeeeeps!!!!![/cosby]

I haven't been this close to having a state of the art PC since I popped an 8087 into my XT!

:grin:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:57 am

Nerd index question: If you bought one of those on your way to work, would you bring it in to your office to look at it because it's too long to wait before you get home?
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:02 am

Plink Floyd wrote:Nerd index question: If you bought one of those on your way to work, would you bring it in to your office to look at it because it's too long to wait before you get home?

looks around ... raises hand
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:16 am

I knew I wouldn't be the only one!

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:35 pm

New GPU says "UR PWR SPLY IZ 2 WMPY NO VID 4 U LOL"

:mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Seems like video cards need more power now than the rest of whole system combined. Yikes. Maybe in the winter you could patch it into your heating system and save on fuel costs, eh?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Nerd index question: If you bought one of those on your way to work, would you bring it in to your office to look at it because it's too long to wait before you get home?

I'd do this. And even read all the literature that comes with, including the warranty registration card just for good measure.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Yes, I totally would do this.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:51 am

I have done this.

I've also done this with woodworking tools that I had shipped to the office because I didn't want them laying around in the front porch. Sitting at my desk, ogling my new skew rabbet plane... lulz.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

PreviousNext

Return to KSS