HALion Symphonic Orchestra and Cubase

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

HALion Symphonic Orchestra and Cubase

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Does anyone else use this combo? I have nubish questions if anyone is familiar with Cubase and plugins.

The short of it all:

System:

PC, Dual Core 2.3gHz, 4GB RAM, Win XP, SP3 (yes, XP. I'm partial.)

Several years ago I bought Cubase 5 retail at GC. It came with several trial pieces of mostly PoS software, of which HALion Symphonic Orchestra was included. Only recently did I decide to try out the orchestral sample library. So, I installed the two DVDs labeled "HALion Symphonic Orchestra." Then, I registered the trial bundle by entering the 2,000 digit code on my paperwork that came with, and submitted. The license is stored on my Steinberg dongle. DONGLE.

As far as I can tell, the samples installed correctly onto my HDD. There is a standalone program that allows the user to play the samples using a midi input device (keyboard). This works fine, although I had a hunch that something was amiss because the names of the samples in the library were basically a garbled mess. In other words, when selecting a patch using the standalone, you can clearly see the categories available, e.g. "Solo Viola," "Brass Ensemble," "Woodwinds," etc, however the actual sample names inside each category are illegible. Aside from that, the samples sound really good to my ears and seem to be completely usable for what I would need from an orchestral set.

The problem I'm having comes in with Cubase integration. I may be some dumb, but I'm not plumb dumb when it comes to DAW stuff and computers in general. Probably, I'm just a tad of a nub and am not doing something minute correctly, but when I try to set up a MIDI track in Cubase to play/record the sample in HALion, I:

1) Create a MIDI track
2) Attempt to assign HALion to the VST instrument panel.
*note* I say "attempt" because the first time I tried this, the orchestral pack wasn't even an option in the pull-down. I manually entered the path to the HALion library .dll file so that Cubase could "find" it. I guess it was wrong of me to assume Steinberg would take care of these intricacies in the installation, but apparently I give too much credit. Anyway...
3) Assign a MIDI channel number to the "program" (sample) I wish to play.
4) Press buttons on MIDI Keyboard expecting noise (MIDI lights in Cubase light up illustrating that MIDI notes have been received).
5) No noise.

The best I can figure is that the installation went horribly awry (I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, just for good measure. No dice) somewhere, OR the version of HALion I have is too old (I have updated Cubase several times since the original purchase date). I may have even purchased Cubase 5 before SP3, though I don't exactly remember.

I thought about calling Steinberg customer support, but damn. Customer support usually sucks, and I thought I'd drop a line in on you guys first.

:jam:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: HALion Symphonic Orchestra and Cubase

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:19 am

Since no one else has answered, I'll chime in and offer the fact that I know nothing of the aforementioned Steinburgers or HA Lions.

:confuse:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Same here... mmmmm Steinburgers....
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 am

Ah well, that's ok guys. I will try calling Steinberg next week on my off day I guess and see if I can't get the problem fix'd. Like I said, I'm sure it's just me being dumb. :freak:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 pm

I know that getting a VST to play in Reaper is a bit of a multistep process:
(*) Create a track
(*) Select the correct MIDI channel as your track input (default is audio)
(*) Arm the track for recording
(*) Make sure "record input monitoring" is on (default is off)
(*) Now, you can select a VSTi and hopefully hear something.

This is only helpful if Cubase also has some part of the process which expects input monitoring to be on for VSTis or track needs to be armed or something along those lines.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks, for the suggestions, SW. All of my other VSTi's are set up the same way I have HALion set up, and they work. HALion just doesn't for some reason. At this point, I'm fairly certain it has something to do with my version of HALion being a bit older than my current version of Cubase (I have updated Cubase several times since I originally purchased it, but never installed HALion until now). Perhaps Steinberg has an update for HALion that I need.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 pm

I forgot you are a fellow reaper user, SW :)

I haven't recorded anything in ages, or so it seems, but there's a couple different ways to use a VST. One is the one you mentioned. The other is to add a VST track (I forgot the exact wording) where it immediately asks you what VST you want to use and does the rest of the work for you. Then you just arm the track for recording when you are ready and bam. I usually already know what tracks I want so I create them all this way quickly and then arm them as I record the parts.

SI - Your Halion should work. It might be a Halion issue and not a Cubase issue. Be prepared to be tossed around as nobody takes the blame for it... "...no, call those guys..." ...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

christianrock wrote:SI - Your Halion should work. It might be a Halion issue and not a Cubase issue. Be prepared to be tossed around as nobody takes the blame for it... "...no, call those guys..." ...

I Know. It's precisely why I'm putting off calling. :facepalm:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Return to KSS