DONGLES

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

DONGLES

Postby gregwar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:09 pm

i'm seriously tempted by the glorious slate digital plug-ins. i've demoed the virtual console collection and am interested in the fg-x and vbc.

i've always been hesitant to use dongles* and unfortunately there has been a major debacle at pace/ilok breaking people's pro tools and all related ilok plug-ins.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... -pace.html

the apollo is basically a 19" dongle* (with lots of processing) and it has this 'no sleep' problem. when i wake the mac mini from sleep with a logic session open sometimes the apollo breaks and i have to restart the mini, logic and the apollo.

i'm no stranger to dongles* and had an ilok 1 with ewql play for their symphonic orchestra library which i got second hand. long story short play sucked pretty bad at the time (unstable, ran slow, etc) but the seller included the older kontakt based versions so i just use those.

i'm already juggling the 4 usb ports on the mac mini with the v-synth, fantom g, novation sl-mk1, external hdd, kore 1 controller, usb keys, ipad/iphone, etc. most of them don't like usb hubs and adding another dongle* just for copy protection seems silly.

not to mention the possibility of technical issues and the plug-ins having to access the dongle* every time they're initialized which can slow down a session. i get that developers need to protect their software but its more of an inconvenience than a convenience for end users.

also pace had a 7 day grace period for transferring licenses which they've apparently removed. normally when you transfer a license there's a $75 fee but if you did it accidentally or transferred the wrong one now you don't have the grace period to fix it.

what are people's thoughts on dongles* ?

disclaimer: beware of cracking dongle jokes !
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013 ... s-attacks/

*this is not a dongle joke
gregwar

Re: DONGLES

Postby soundwave106 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 pm

I avoid dongles when I can (because its One Extra Expense and One More Thing That Can Break).

So far, I only have two dongled pieces of software (Hauptwerk and Padshop Pro). So far, no huge problems other than the fact that the dongle for Padshop Pro cost extra. It is interesting though that neither of those programs are the most stable in the world, compared to non-dongled stuff that gets used a lot more (eg Omnisphere, Alchemy, Kontakt, u-He stuff, etc etc etc.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:50 pm

I have both ilok and steinberg running on a hub plugged into a hub. I frequently demo stuff that requires me to load a temporary licences and ive never had a problem.im happy with it and dont care really.

I think people get more upset with a dongle because i think it means to them that the company doesnt trust them and its a hassle to resell ect.

I dunno. Never had an issue don't mind ect lol
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 pm

I only pirate stuff that doesn't need one, so... :idk:
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 pm

you know the nsa is monitoring this thread right?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:50 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I only pirate stuff that doesn't need one, so... :idk:

I only pirate stuff that does. For the challenge.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:34 pm

This thread is now about which one of us is l33t and which one of us is a l4mer.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:51 pm

soundwave106 wrote:This thread is now about which one of us is l33t and which one of us is a l4mer.

Whip out your dongle and I"ll whip out mine.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:09 pm

This thread has taken a bad turn.

Dongles.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Thread needs moar cats

Edit: for clarity,I've never used any software that requires dongles. And no, I don't have any pirated software :)
Last edited by christianrock on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:40 pm

gregwar wrote:what are people's thoughts on dongles* ?

In all seriousness though, I appreciate the intent behind dongles, but my only real gripe is that they have to take up a USB slot. That's just dumb, when basically ALL peripherals require USB connections nowadays. I just don't have them to spare. My version of Cubase has a dongle.

Metro sounds like he's got it licked though. USB hub inception.

ETA: I don't actually pirate software either, the crack about dongles before was just in jest. TAKE THAT NSA. BOOM. :horse:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34 am

i remember spilling like a full beer on my ilok 1 and i almost did a backflip lol

i dried it off and it still worked but thats the other part of it, like when you break/lose the damn thing you're kinda f***ed

its supposed to be portable so you can bring it to wherever and use your licenses but i never brought it out of the studio for fear of losing it

some companies like slate offer 2 licenses per purchase i don't know if thats what most developers do but i'd have 2 ilok 2s as a backup especially if i had thousands of dollars of software/daw on there
gregwar

Return to KSS