Who really uses software?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Who really uses software?

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Ok, so on Sunday (yesterday) I had a few hours to spend in my studio, as my wife and kids were doing something else. So what did I do? Caught up with almost a year worth of software and driver updates.

Yeah.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Yeah. :grin: Isn't that a great way to spend the day?

:mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:54 am

Oh man I hate doing that. Next time I think I'll pay someone to do it.

Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:41 pm

If I had my reel tape I would have jammed out some tunage.

Well, at least on the Native Instruments side, I've reached the limit of upgrades to my Maschine. If I want a newer version than what I have got, I have to fork 99 dollars. Yes, it's the same hardware, same product, but if I want version 2.0 which has added features, I have to pay.

The upside is I won't waste any more time with upgrades to the Maschine system :D I don't need sidechain compressor anyway. That and the new drum synth are the only two things I would have wanted, but don't really need. I have tons of sounds already... which I'm not using much...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:20 pm

I've pretty much maxed out with Live unless they release something really phenomenal.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Now if they add audio tracks to Maschine, suddenly I'm interested...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

or spark or any of them really.. Eventually, they should open up to host VSTs and audio..
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 am

Someone (CR, maybe?) said "everyone should have Komplete" . I've only used some of their free stuff, and while it sounds great, there seems always to be lots of verifying and and hoop jumping and registering for veracity and stuff to go through.

Plus, NI seems to be a slippery slope of spending. Maybe they are the virtual equivalent of modular hardware addiction?
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Someone (CR, maybe?) said "everyone should have Komplete" . I've only used some of their free stuff, and while it sounds great, there seems always to be lots of verifying and and hoop jumping and registering for veracity and stuff to go through.

About 90% of NI stuff I would *never* use. I only have Kontakt (which I use all the time, mainly the sample libraries). And Reaktor (which I picked up on a sale and it's neat but I don't use much at all.)

Downside is that their pricing model means that a few things I've glimpsed at, I wouldn't buy. FM8 is of interest, for instance, but it has some nasty bugs. So I'm not going to pay $199 for it. Komplete is $399, which is quite the value. It is also about gigabytes and gigabytes of samples and VST clutter I probably would never touch.

I've got orchestral samples and a hardware modular so I've got plenty of "spending opportunity" anyways. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:45 pm

I can't put my finger on in it, but I've had several NI products and over the years they've failed to be used just less and less. Obviously they're doing well.. I don't know if that's because of kontakt or the presets or what, but they seem to be. And I'm very sure their pricing scheme is to get you to pay up and buy everything.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Yeah everyone should have Komplete but they should buy it during their sales. I got mine for 200 dollars.

Now, for 200 dollars, even if I don't use 95% of it, the 5% that I will use, is still a bargain. 5% of a humongously huge library of softwares and samples is still a LOT :eek:

Also, upgrading Komplete every 3 years or so is fine. No reason to just upgrade it every years, they don't add that much stuff to make it worth it. IMHO.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:46 pm

ya I bought k4 and kore a few years back it's basically a synthesists dream rig

I'm on k7 or something now ?

I use all of their stuff, especially kontakt, reaktor and battery. fm8, absynth, massive, etc were more fun to use with kore but they still see use here and there

My '09 MacBook pro has finally totally died (a replacement model for an '06 I melted lol). I was keeping it alive for all my 32 bit 'legacy' softwares and it's awesome to have as a separate kore rig, reason, live, audio mulch, etc I can patch in like a hardware synth

since the battery, fans, charger, ssd, etc are all f*cked I might just get a new one. I'm so entrenched in the Mac world software-wise I think it would be difficult and/or expensive to switch now ?
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:16 pm

gregwar wrote:since the battery, fans, charger, ssd, etc are all f*cked I might just get a new one. I'm so entrenched in the Mac world software-wise I think it would be difficult and/or expensive to switch now ?

I want to get entrenched so bad. I want a macpro SO BAD. But alas, monies.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 pm

I've been thinking of getting a choob Mac pro and living in a post-laptop-something world :love:

I've been rocking a mini for a year now and love the form factor all I would have to do is sell it and drop in a pro in its place

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/03/mac ... ssor-swap/

this article has made my day. you *can* apparently upgrade the CPU (and everything else, the video cards prolly are the most trickey) I don't know if I trust myself enuf to do it tho with a 3-4k machine and a 2k processor :facepalm:

plus I don't think I'd want to bring a Mac pro around with me since it's so expensive altho I have no problem doing so with a 3k laptop :idk:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:09 pm

I think i'm gonna rack build a pc. I was just looking at prices and I can get a CPU / MOBO combo for dirt cheap that's loads better than what'd you get from dell or something. Throw in a rack case, audio, GPU and some RAM.. not too shabby.
MetroSonus

Previous

Return to KSS