Who really uses software?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Who really uses software?

Postby Harald » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks, guys!

And Christian, good to hear I'm not alone. Have you tried discussing this at KVR Audio? :grin:
Harald

Postby christianrock » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Is there a point in doing that? :lol:

It's almost like saying software is useful, when at Gearslutz. Nevermind that almost everybody there uses software, they just think it's wrong to admit it. This small place here in the internet, is probably on the balanced side, mostly because we don't take ourselves too seriously... :wave:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm not in a typey mood today. I don't know if I"m coming down with something or still trying to catch up on sleep from the hospital trips.

But I do want to wish you a warm welcome Harald! Welcome to enclave, as it were. There's no set agenda here.. In fact I like to think of the forum as the "take a penny, leave a penny" tray of the synth world; everyone is welcome to deposit and withdraw as needed (those are bank terms, get your mind out of the gutter :lol:).

But that's what makes this place fun.. everyone can be themselves and everyone here has a valid contribution to make, simply by the wide ranges of interests and experience.

:wave:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:46 pm

MetroSonus wrote:<SNIP>...get your mind out of the gutter :lol:<SNIP>

Buzzkill.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 pm

I take the shiny pennies and leave my grimy pennies. I call it the "penny washer tray".

Hi, Harold! :wave:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:27 pm

I thought i'd play necromancer for a minute.

I just found this 1 synth challenge compilation on KVR.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/

Everything that I heard is well done. I'll admit, as far as software goes, it's a different workflow, it's a different sound but that doesn't mean it's not as good as anything else.

I know more or less, it's moot and whatever floats yer boat. But I think there's some really outstanding music in here that shows it's the person and not the equipment that makes the difference.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes, I like the one-synth challenge. It showed me that if I was really really talented, I could do anything I wanted with just Synth1. It sounds as good as any soft synth out there.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:13 pm

I had it once.. I'd like to get on better with it than I did, but it's one of those "tight" synths in that you can't grab and twist something and expect a huge, immediate result. I should probably mess around with it again to expand my abilities some.
MetroSonus

Postby midinut » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:06 pm

I've spent the last week or so doing some serious soul searching on this. Since I updated Cubase, my Kronos has sat there not getting any attention. Of course it has its own learning surve which I have not even begun to scratch the surface of. I got into a few recording sessions which required me to spend my time learning more about Cubase rather than any particular instrument or VST. Retrologue inside Cubase seems very powerful, and PadShop Pro would keep Metro busy for days doing Ambient stuff. I also picked up the Arturia V-Collection a while back and, again, haven't done much other than squirrel my way through some pretty fabulous presets. But it has got me thinking. If I never bought another VST or piece of hardware, it would take the rest of my life to fully explore just what I have. This came about as I was looking to expand my piano choices. Of course the Kronos has some of the best pianos out there already. So why am I looking at The Grand 3, or True Keys? Why am I thinking it would so nice to have a Bosendorfer or a Fazioli? Why can't I just be happy with what I've got and use them? It's not stopping me from making music mind you. I've probably written more stuff in the last 3 months than I have in the last 3 years. When I know what I want to hear, I can usually find something close very quickly. This is something I'm also beginning to realize about my school education. It's not so much what or how much you learn these days as it has become learning to know where to find the answers. So I'm beginning to ask myself, yes I'd really like to have Komplete or finish my Spectrasonic collection, but do I really NEED it? I know, totally goes against our collective theory of GAS and the support of consumerism, but what the hey ... just wanted to throw it out there after reading this thread. I hope these thoughts don't get me banninated from the treehouse. lol

Hope everyone out there is ready to have a wonderful holiday season! :wave:
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:56 am

Ban him!

Just kidding :poke:

I know what you mean, though. For no more than a hobby, I should be happy with what I have. There's no real reason for me to ever purchase gear, but damnit sometimes I JUST WANT IT.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:48 am

Yes, I've been trying to have an exit plan of sorts for my hobbies these days. You know, a cutoff point where I should have what I need and I need to be mature enough to say "hey use it and get your moneys worth".

I guess for me, I'd expect the same thing out if my son. Its easy as an adult to say I have more money or I deserve it some how. But that's not true. The sentiment is the same in both cases.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I know what you mean, though. For no more than a hobby, I should be happy with what I have. There's no real reason for me to ever purchase gear, but damnit sometimes I JUST WANT IT.

What I've been trying to do lately is saying not just "do I want it?" but also "will this help my musical goals"? Cuts back on a lot of the GAS.

(Not all of it though. :lol: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 am

What are these "musical goals" bespoken herein? Should I haz thems?
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:What are these "musical goals" bespoken herein? Should I haz thems?

Haha. That's where my problem lies. I don't have any particular goals, so my gear wantings are unbridled.

My goal used to be to grow up to be a ROCKSTAR, but this obviously didn't happen.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 pm

I seem to enjoy just sitting down and having the freedom to do what I want. However, ambient by far I really enjoy. It's fun, relaxing and I find it on the same level as writing stories, somehow. I just have an idea and I make a story out of it.

That's kind of why for a while I've just been doing "albums" by chucking a song into each one when I'm done with something that seems to fit.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:45 pm

What are these "albums" bespoken herein? Should I haz thems?

My goal used to be to grow up to be Will Robinson. Well, not really grow up to be him, since he and I were pretty much the same age, and all. I could have just stepped into his job, y'know? Well, except for all that geniusy knowledge and stuff that he had. The grups would always say "you can be an astronaut, just study hard, get good grades and become a scientist or test pilot or something". Easy to say, rite?
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:What are these "musical goals" bespoken herein? Should I haz thems?

Apparently you and I are alone in having no goals. We should start a club! :idea:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:18 pm

My goal is to have a goal. I'm working on it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:03 am

fyi, puberty changed my goal to becoming Maj. West. Let Will go play chess
with the robot & fag for Dr. Smith. I'll be in the chariot blooping Judy.

Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:11 am

well I chased the hardware dragon for like 6-7 years. I wanted one of each type of synthesis if not some of the best examples. it sorta went like this:
- mono analog: yamaha cs20m, then cs40m, then minimoog rme
- poly analog: juno 106, super jupiter
- fm: dx7, dx7 II with E!, tg33, tg77
- pm: vz-10m
- va: jp8080, then virus c
- effects: sherman filter bank, dp4, jomox t-rez, andrenalinn 3, etc
- mixer: 5 channel dj mixer, then 12 channel Yamaha mixer, then mackie 32.8 (in an argosy desk)
etc

I had started on computers in the mid-late 90s and actually found hardware to be much more time consuming and difficult to work with. it was more about collecting synths and constantly upgrading and increasing the quality of my hardware as much as my cash would allow

I always thought if I had the best hardware synths I would have the best music but there we're quite a few times my friends would play stuff that was purely software that would blow me away lol. I also think it's just been the last 5 years or less that software quality has increased enough to truly rival hardware whether it's synth plug-ins, uad effects, etc

now I'm all about the idea and execution of it. sometimes my fantom or v-synth are critical parts of a song other times not. It's just whatever serves the song

I still have a bit of that collectors mentality where I feel the need to have the fm synthesis base covered, a good poly, good va sounds, etc. but now when I get gas for stuff I try to think of what's already in my arsenal and whether or not it will be redundant, usually it is
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to KSS