Who really uses software?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Who really uses software?

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 am

And how do you feel about it, for real?

Last night, trying to keep good on my word of getting back to a few thing, I hooked up the new Graphite controller and pulled up a few VST. I played around with Diva some more and after a while, I felt like I had a usable patch. But, it was only after I had a (virtual) processing chain as long as my my arm. And I suddenly found that I had been struck by a thought: this is boring!

I felt like in comparison I could have done the same thing on hardware with less effort and only had to tame in the sound a bit in software. That's how most of my ambient tracks were done to begin with. There's very little effects or processing done on any of them.

Having not touched musics stuff in a while, I feel like on hardware it was more satisfying to have to dial the sound down. On software, I feel like I have to dial it up.

And now I'm old and I don't wanna do stuff I don't wanna.. :cry:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Who really uses software?

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 03, 2013 12:44 pm

I feel exactly the same way. Software is boring to me. But you already know how I feel about software vs hardware.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:58 pm

This is why the hardware synths have come back... I think it was trendy in like the mid 2000s or so to do the ditch your hardware and run everything off the PC thing. Yes, let's cut to the chase: software synth editing is boring. :like:

I do actually use software now for all of the digital stuff that used to be K2000s and Tritons and things like that... Omnisphere and Kontakt orchestral sample packs have eliminated any desire for a digital workstation. Alchemy and Iris are incredible tools as well... there is no comparison in hardware, and you can get some nice spaced out stuff with those things. On the other hand, with complex digital stuff, I tend to not deviate too far from the presets. :lol: I have an arsenal of VST effects and they tend to get used a lot.

But while I have Diva, the A6 just too often always seems to fit in songs *better* to me. Diva sounds great, mind you. I think some of it does have a lot to do with the interface. I don't know if another part of it is that I've had the A6 for 12 years now (!) so I kind of know that one pretty well. It even might be *gasp!* sound. Diva still gets used, but the A6 is everywhere on my tracks, can't say the same for that.

The modular is sort of the opposite... it's often a lot of work to get something usable. On the other hand, sometimes "mistakes" end up sounding more awesome than what you intended, and the modular is also great for pointless mad scientist noodling.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Yeah I have all these options and so much power available to me in the Komplete synths... yet when I want to program a new sound I go to the Fusion with its pretty limited (comparison-wise) synth engine.

Same thing with guitars... I have Guitar Rig (also came with Komplete) and I won't use it. Had a POD back a few years ago and ditched it quickly.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Veracohr » Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 pm

My hardware is fairly limited and/or specialized, so I use it for particular sounds, while I go to software for a much wider palette.
Veracohr

Postby christianrock » Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 pm

So Metro. For your S+S and ambient needs, why don't you take a look at an MC909? More hands-on hardware is hard to find :) Plus a HUGE amount of samples available via SRX cards.
I bet that would get your inspiration right back.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Xv5050. Same thing. Way ahead of you. Fundage is being compiled as we speak. :Thu:

I know im missing the controls though. What do they go for? 5050 peeks around 300$
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Fri May 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I think the biggest problem with software is the learning curve. even if you have a modest 10-12 plug-ins it could still take a lot of time to learn them through and through. at that point it becomes extremely fast and effortless to sculpt a patch.

for example I have ni massive and the odd time I've pulled it up and played with it, some of the interface concepts clicked, and I was good to go. but I haven't really mastered it to the point where I'm pushing the envelope of what it can do and fall back on logic's es2 a lot

personally, I have to sit for like a while screwing around with a new plug-in, reading the manual and watching tutorial videos. I like to really know what a plug-in is capable of doing eventually but it def is time consuming
gregwar

Postby Veracohr » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 am

Massive is my go-to softsynth, so I think I know it pretty well. Absynth on the other hand makes me sit there and screw around for a long time before I come up with anything useable.
Veracohr

Postby christianrock » Mon May 06, 2013 9:38 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Xv5050. Same thing. Way ahead of you. Fundage is being compiled as we speak. :Thu:

I know im missing the controls though. What do they go for? 5050 peeks around 300$

Same thing?? You're comparing this

with this?

Yeah I'd say that missing the controls is an understatement...

There's one here on Craigslist right now for 350. I wonder if I would use it since I do have Maschine and quite a few more sounds available in that...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 pm

CR, do all your drum tracks come from Maschine, pretty much?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Right now, yes.

Of course, Maschine opens up any Native Instrument sound, so the actual sounds can come from Studio Drummer, or one of the Abbey Road drum sample sets, or Battery, or something else in Kontakt... but it's all sequenced and programmed via Maschine. I have to say that the "Pop" acoustic drum set in Maschine itself is pretty good for rock. Despite the name...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 07, 2013 1:27 am

I figured 909s would go in the 500$ +. I haven't followed them before but that was my guess. If that's what they go for that's nuts as 5050s get the same
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 am

CakewalK = RolanD, which means SONAR contains all teh sounds from 707, 727, 808, and 909. Also kits from Sequential Circuits Drumtraks and Linn Electronics LinnDrum.

But no proportional Hi-hat control, which really flams my diddle.

:mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby medwaystudios » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:18 pm

I only ever was old hardware back in the late 80s, as soon as I had an affordable computer I started adding software to the mix. Have gone through the cycle of using hardware only but always come back to the PC. To me a mix works better but can see why some people would prefer hardware only.
medwaystudios

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 pm

I think, for some people and I know I'm included here, there isn't just enough money or time in the world to try every approach out to really work on your workflow. For something, I like software. And for somethings, I like hardware. I think that ultimately, if I had infinite resources, I'd like both.

But that's mainly from a synthesizer perspective. As far as mixing, mastering ect goes, I prefer in the box. Although too, in some ways I prefer outboard for effects and sound noodling.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:27 pm

I have to use software now... my Fusion's screen shows nothing, don't know if it's dead. The DW8000 needs a new battery. So software is all I've got right now... other than the N1R, which I'm selling.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Harald » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I felt like I had a usable patch. But, it was only after I had a (virtual) processing chain as long as my my arm. And I suddenly found that I had been struck by a thought: this is boring!

I felt like in comparison I could have done the same thing on hardware with less effort and only had to tame in the sound a bit in software.

I'm a big software user these days (for various reasons) but sadly... this is SO much in alignment with what I personally tend to feel about this stuff a lot of the time. Hardware instruments - yes, even the digital ones - do sound better to me a lot of the time than even my favorite software instruments, and they tend to also be more fun to use. I'm getting better at getting what I want out of the ITB stuff, but man, was it ever easier to get a decent - and quite frankly - more interesting sound out of the bunch of synths and samplers I used to run through a simple 16 channel Roland mixer back in the nineties. And I still tend to feel more inspired when using some of my favorite hardware. To be frank, sometimes I feel more inspired whatever hardware I use, heh. There's just more depth and vibe and life to the sound. On synth forums you tend to get a lot of the "oh, terms like "vibe" and "life" and "feel" and "emotion" are not, um, scientifically quantifiable, so your argument means nothing to me" but I think it's good to use one's own ears when forming decisions on this stuff.

Stuff like VCC, VTM and all the other saturation type plugins I use do help, of course, but still... I don't think it's quite there just yet.

That said, I do love what I've been able to do because of software, not in the least because of how cheap it is. I've also been traveling and living overseas a lot during the last few years, and that was a major reason for my selling off a lot of my hardware stuff and going soft instead. And I do like a lot of my virtual instruments. I've just decided to go back and just more hardware stuff too. A lot more, probably... :love:

If you're 100% ITB and happy with that, then more power to you. I've heard some pretty good stuff that was done solely with software. For me, though, it seems a combo-approach is the way to go, for at least some time yet.
Harald

Postby christianrock » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Welcome to the forum, Harald!

I think your experience is similar to what most of us end up going through when coming from hardware to software...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Welcome, indeed!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to KSS