Best of the Best: Mixing Plug-ins and Techniques

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Best of the Best: Mixing Plug-ins and Techniques

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 22, 2014 10:37 pm

I'm hit and miss with effects. Sometimes I use DAW effects, but other times I use the KSP-8. I'm probably more apt to use the KSP-8 than not, because it does neat stuff without any load on my PC, natch. There's a way cool ambient friendly patch in there called "Echo World" which is a chain of delays and reverbs, and it's great for SPAAAAAAAACE.

So, in conclusion: Outboard.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 pm

ya I really miss my old ensoniq dp4. it was so easy to just dial in a distortion or reverb for synths, guitars, etc and it just sounded right with minimal fuss (that's what happens when stanford students make effects lol)

I still want an eventide if only for their harmonizer for thickening vocals. sometimes I use sound toys echo boy's vocal doubler on a bus and mix a little back in, sometimes with reverb to set it 'behind' but I've never been fully satisfied with it

their decapitator plug-in was a go-to for me on bass guitar and thick va synth type sounds. I'd start with the beefy g preset and mess around with tape types and tone controls until it sounded fat, especially with trilian.

many sound toys plugs and d16 ones have a 'mix' knob so you can decide how much of the original sound comes thru, priceless for shaping/tone synth sounds

I tried it on tal uno 106 (roland Juno 106 emu) with mixed results (see what I did there).

srsly tho I still haven't nailed the sweet sound of a real Juno 106, my fav synth of all time. I might just get a Juno 60 with the lfo, midi, etc mod and call it a day lol
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat May 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Speaking of Juno, and by way of example, this is the very last thing I played on my old JUNO-106 before I shipped it away (true story), and it happens to go through the "Echo World" patch on the KSP-8.

http://polkadotdictator.net/kss/goodbye-juno.mp3

This patch on the JUNO was one of the magical patches it had, IMHO. Heavy filter resonance tuned with the keyboard, you can it sometimes get a little growly. I'm not sure what the magic sauce was that made it do that, I'm thinking it was just random drift of the VFC tuning moving the resononance slightly away from the VCO pitch.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby midinut » Mon May 26, 2014 3:21 am

gregwar wrote:ya I really miss my old ensoniq dp4. it was so easy to just dial in a distortion or reverb for synths, guitars, etc and it just sounded right with minimal fuss (that's what happens when stanford students make effects lol)

I still want an eventide if only for their harmonizer for thickening vocals. sometimes I use sound toys echo boy's vocal doubler on a bus and mix a little back in, sometimes with reverb to set it 'behind' but I've never been fully satisfied with it

their decapitator plug-in was a go-to for me on bass guitar and thick va synth type sounds. I'd start with the beefy g preset and mess around with tape types and tone controls until it sounded fat, especially with trilian.

many sound toys plugs and d16 ones have a 'mix' knob so you can decide how much of the original sound comes thru, priceless for shaping/tone synth sounds

I tried it on tal uno 106 (roland Juno 106 emu) with mixed results (see what I did there).

srsly tho I still haven't nailed the sweet sound of a real Juno 106, my fav synth of all time. I might just get a Juno 60 with the lfo, midi, etc mod and call it a day lol

I had a DP/4 long time ago. You are correct. It was easy to dial in something awesome. I'm also with you on the Eventide Harmonizer. I wonder how the soft version of that sounds. You don't see used hardware too often. Prolly cause they sound so damn good. A used DP/4 can be had used fairly often tho. I was sold on the Harmonizer when I first heard Steve Vai's Passion & Warfare album, which was almost entirely done with one.
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 28, 2014 2:28 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Speaking of Juno, and by way of example, this is the very last thing I played on my old JUNO-106 before I shipped it away (true story), and it happens to go through the "Echo World" patch on the KSP-8.

http://polkadotdictator.net/kss/goodbye-juno.mp3

This patch on the JUNO was one of the magical patches it had, IMHO. Heavy filter resonance tuned with the keyboard, you can it sometimes get a little growly. I'm not sure what the magic sauce was that made it do that, I'm thinking it was just random drift of the VFC tuning moving the resononance slightly away from the VCO pitch.

that was pretty cool.. maybe it was me but I couldn't seem to get the volume up high enough :idk:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed May 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks, mang. I'm not sure about the volume, though...? Sounds OK to me? :idk: It's certainly not a loud piece, anyway.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Wed May 28, 2014 5:23 pm

I liked it, EP. No probs with the volume (I'm on my work computer, with those teeny-comes-with-the-computer speakers).
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Thu May 29, 2014 8:14 am

excellent work ep !1
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu May 29, 2014 10:28 am

Oh yeah, I remember that Polkadotdictater band! I saw them open for Alice Cooper when he was doing the Chopping Off My Head tour.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Mon May 25, 2015 5:53 pm

well i suppose its time to reanimate this thread

i've been messing around with my ilok today. as one who travels for work its sometimes with me and other times in my mic case :facepalm:

but i updated these today:
- slate virtual console collection 2.0
- slate virtual bus collection
- slate virtual tape machine

i had issues with my macbook pro's usb 3 ports but now everything seems to be working properly

i downloaded slate's virtual mix rack and revival plug-in (free). i think i'll get their neve, harrison and ssl plug-ins when i get a chance (i have the demos now)

these plug-ins also make the best of the best list:
- eventide ultra channel
- eventide h3000 factory
- eventide ultra reverb

i was joking to my friend that if the ultra reverb ever went on sale again i'd cop it. well that happened today lol ($200 vs $350 !) so i'm currently using the demo license while i wait for my order to be processed

eventide lets you store your licenses on you computer ! which is awesome. i really don't like the dongle and its fragility.
gregwar

Eventide H3000 Factory Plug-in

Postby gregwar » Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm

so here's a review from 2 years ago on tape op:
http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/95/h3000 ... e-plug-in/

it was on sale for $200 a couple weeks ago so i bought it and this week was able to install and test it thoroughly

i sorta remember a few guys on gs and other places saying the native plug-in doesn't sound as good as the hardware. the analog section and converters were designed by the distressor guy. sound toys guys did some of the circuitry and algos when they were at eventide. it cost thousands of dollars and cool fact: could have its eproms updated to the latest algos

so yes, my immediate reaction to the plug-in was that it wasn't super wide, the doubler/detuners were ok but not very warm, it seemed a little sterile and 'plug-in' for lack of a better explanation. you can add ozone after for extreme stereo widening or any number of analog modelled distortion for choob, tranny, etc warmth. i was using the uad fatso, which is a high quality model of the distressor guys tape sim.

so once you're past that this thing is deep. there are 18 effect blocks that can all be connected with virtual patch cables and lots of modulation. the lay out is pretty intimidating at first but upon reading half of the manual it all clicked

there's delay, pitch shifters, lfos (function generators), filters, amps, etc. i didn't find any 'stepping' or aliasing when i used it with my novation sl37. the midi stuff is easy to map to your controllers joystick, etc and easy to sync the lfos and delays to your daw

the options this unit opens up are amazing and i think combined with the eventide ultra channel and ultra reverb its like a poor mans h8000 in some ways lol. there are 2 patch banks designed by richard devine with extreme alien weirdness. like the tape op review says feeding delays into filters and whatnot is really fun and adding weird modulation makes them freak out lol

def worth the $200 to have these algo's in the box. i think its much easier to edit than the hardware would be and like i said if its sounding cold and sterile you can easily add character plug-ins after but if you want clean & pristine you can do that too.

ps, like the ultra channel and other eventide plugs you don't actually need an ilok dongle you can store the keys in the ilok app and not worry about breaking it accidentally
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Good lord. Couldn't they have made the matrix interface MINUS all those stupid faux patch cables? That's ridonculous.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Wed May 27, 2015 10:20 pm

on my retina screen everything is really small too lol

there's an expert mode page which is just boxes of values if you'd rather go that route

still I've heard programming the hardware is really difficult. once you get a hang of the plug-ins layout then it's really easy, like arturias moog modular or aalto
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm

here's a pdf on non-gear related mixing techniques and best practices:
http://bit.ly/PltTdg

it's called why do my recordings sound like ass ?

it's compiled from like 700 forum posts in 2008/9, edited, with chapter headings, etc

I'm gna get siri to read it to me while I drive
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 28, 2015 4:30 pm

wow, awesome find, G! I'll put a copy of that on my ipad and read it in bed.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Good idea. I will do the same, EP. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Thu May 28, 2015 5:09 pm

tl;dr

I just pulled over to gas up, here's some notes I jotted down

recording techniques
part 1: setup

- treat your acoustic space
- get good monitors

trust:
- your ears
- your recording gear
- basically don't second guess and waste time researching and upgrading constantly
- you have limited time so use it to make music use what you have

organize your space:
- it doesn't have to be 'tidy' it has to be functional
- everything you need should be within easy reach

- cables sorted, hung on hooks
- colour coded to know instantly what is what
- pedals with pedals
- spare batteries, strings, picks

**do not hold up a session over a guitar pick ** (lol)

- a place for everything, everything in its place
- optimize for maximum work flow

broken or unused gear:
- put it in a box
- mark a date of 1 year
- if it's not used sell, donate or throw it out
- if junk is not fixed by said time throw it out (patch cables, etc)

time management:
- decide to focus on a task for x amount of time
- do all necessary prep work in advance
- decide on arrangement, parts, melody patches, etc as much as possible in advance
- make technical decisions in advance
- don't destroy the creative workflow

notepad:
- jot down distractions from said task
- do focused research on specific things after

ex: use whatever patch for a piano part and lay it down
- jot down note to demo other piano patches later
- wanking in a home studio is a time vacuum

**better to get things done now than get them perfect**
gregwar

Postby midinut » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:44 am

EP, great job on the goodbye Juno track. I miss mine too.

Greg, awesome PDF find dude! I put it on my iPad and am reading it in bed too. Good stuff so far. Thanks for that!
midinut

Postby gregwar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:52 am

so it's been a while since I got Logic Pro X

I was joking at New Years that my resolution was to finally download all the additional content lol (it used to come in a huge box with like 10 dvds)

anyways, there's now a LPX 10.1 update that really has delivered and will make it impossible to go back to logic 8/9

redesigned library
this has been around since LPX 10.0. it pretty much smokes anything from native instruments, spectrasonics or even akais new vip

you can load 3rd party vst presets in there but logic has thousands of channel strips, synth patches (and layered sounds called 'stacks').

here's a database of 3rd party preset files: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... =8&t=15267

you can reorder your plug-ins however you like (finally) and unlike 3rd party apps like kore its tightly integrated with the DAW

here's more info on what's new from apple: https://www.apple.com/ca/logic-pro/whats-new/

the rap & edm drummers are sick
you can use the midi info, sounds, change the complexity, add/take away parts etc

the new midi effects are awesome. there's note repeat, arps, transponsers, etc that used to require you to go into then env and program yourself. they have quantize/humanize functions, etc

I've been using stacks to make epic hoovers, pads, basses, etc

the redesigned piano roll, drum machine designer, etc are all sick. I'm likely gna get an iPad just for the new logic remote app, and maybe slate's new batch command app

tl;dr
if your on Mac it's finally to the point where 10.1 really slays anything else out there for making electronic music. the drum & synth patches, stacks, stock plugs, etc are awesome
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:49 am

here's a resource called the logic pros: http://bit.ly/1MyUZIN

it's from 9-5 mac, which I thought was a rumor site but some of these logic posts are pretty great at taking complex stuff and making it simple
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to KSS