UAD Apollo Quad

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: UAD Apollo Quad

Postby christianrock » Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Yeah that's a lot of money for just that card... not sure what the reasoning is (other than to make money)...

Do you think not having it is limiting you, or is it just GAS? :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm

limiting, not so much. I have a $29 thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter. I just really wish I could get the latency down to 64 for overdubs :grin:
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Fri May 09, 2014 2:51 pm

another wiz-bang-neato apollo thing is their unison technology. this is where the apollo preamps model other preamps.

I recorded a verse yesterday and didn't have time to mess around with the pre emulations but there's 2 main ones now: the uad 610 tube pre and neve 1073 pre

for my next project I want to build a portable vocal booth, rent a Neumann u87 (it's like $30 a day) and try out the 1073 emulation

this video is amaze-balls lol

http://youtu.be/bk4M75QLq4E
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 13, 2014 5:11 pm

What do you think about slate digital? They've got a 150$ pack of neve and other style compressors / eqs..

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=17241

NI has some modeled compressors, reverbs that are based off of the same stuff and some verbs that are based of lexicons.. Haven't tried those yet.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Tue May 13, 2014 6:47 pm

I've heard people diss slate for having buggy, low quality stuff and that its all hype. personally i think they're great. they're last big sale i got the virtual console collection, tape machine and bus compressors

i demoed the console collection like 3 years ago and always wanted it but ilok. so after all this time i've tried the uad neve channel strip and a few others (like satson mix bus, harrison mix bus, etc) none of them were as good.

with a full string arrangement going through the slate neve console with a little bit of drive it sounded great, 3d, and sweet. i imagine there are similar console emulations from digidesign (heat) and nebula.

i haven't used the tape machine or bus comps enough to really have an opinion but their fg-mu (based off the fairchild 670 and manley vari-mu) is nice on the vocal bus

native instruments put out their premium tube series with the vari comp and passive eq with help from softube. they're modelled off the manley massive passive and vari-mu. they could be a great alternative to people who don't want the ilok issues associated with the slate fg-mu and uad cards with the massive passive

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan13/a ... m-tube.htm
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Mon May 26, 2014 1:29 pm

so all last week I was messing around with the uad neve 1073 preamp & eq emu. I haven't really mixed that material yet but my initial impression is that it's really nice. you can drive it and it distorts nice but I generally will use it at normal levels

I finally started to use the console app which allows you to use uad plugs with zero latency. the neve 1073 is a preamp and eq in one. when you really scoop out the mids and boost the highs its like being able to track close to the way it will sound in the final mix

if you record that way then you can't undo it so I settled for very minor eq tweaks (like 1-2 db cuts and boosts) and the uad silver 1176 with hardly any compression, just barely touching the needle in the gui. this way I can have options later in the mixing stage

when my whole vocal chain is on it also really changes the sound of my voice and can throw me off a bit lol. still I want to get good at this cause then I can use it on stage. live vocals are typically muddy and uncompressed, so going through a p.a the volume can be kind of erratic and the words unclear

it would be cool if I could get my vox sounding close to the way they sound on the album live. I know bigger acts like el-p use a lot of effects live. when he played he had an avid venue system and faders were all moving around to pre-rec automation. since he played his whole album cancer 4 cure front to back I imagine the actual pro tools sessions were just converted for live use.
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:19 pm

so i got some more plug-ins at halloween and now today for their xmas sale

here's an updated list:

compressors & limiters:

- dbx 160 compressor/limiter
- fairchild tube limiter collection
- teletronix la-2a classic leveler collection
- 1176 classic limiter collection
- shadow hills mastering comp
- 1176ln & se

special processing:

- thermionic culture vulture
- studder a800
- ampex atr-102
- fatso tape sim & compressor
- little labs voice of god

channel strips:
- ua 610 tube preamp & eq collection
- api vision channel strip
- ssl e series channel strip
- neve 88rs channel strip
- cs-1 channel strip

reverbs:
- ams rmx16 digital reverb
- emt 140 plate reverb
- emt 250 classic reverb
- ocean way studio room
- lexicon 224 digital reverb

equalizers:
- neve 1073 preamp & eq collection
- pultec passive eq collection
- manley massive passive
- pultec eqp-1a
- pultec pro eq
- realverb pro

through all the deals, promotions, discounts, etc i've paid around $2150 for $6450 worth of plug-ins. it sounds like a lot but its been mostly small purchases and bundles staggered over 20ish months
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:28 pm

there's still a few uad plug-ins i want like the manley vari-mu, millennia nseq-2, dangerous bax eq and the vertigo sound vsm-3. they seem to be releasing more and more these days.

the ones by softube like the valley people dyna-mite and summit audio tla-100a were cheaper on the softube site as native plug-ins and aren't currently 'must-haves'

creative effects like moog multi-mode filter, roland chorus, space echo, etc are prolly better served by native plug-ins. especially the roland ones came out in like 2005 and its still $300 for them so i would rather use reaktor

uad does 'mixing' plug-ins best, especially emulations of hardware. so i'm more interested in those than say a filter or chorus.
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Well it's no wonder your mixes are sounding so good these days, you get quality stuff and you pay the price for it :)
Hopefully you'll start making it in the scene and will get that investment back! You deserve it, man.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Sun May 24, 2015 10:49 pm

a couple updates to this thread

i got another custom bundle offer. its $400 for any 3 plug-ins so i got:
- manley vari-mu limiter/comp plug-in
- tube-tech cl 1b
- massenburg design works mdw eq5 parametric eq

the cl 1b and massenburg eq aren't new plug-ins afaik but kinda rounded out my collection and do specific things like add 'choob' warmth to a vocal or precision/surgical eqing

today i had a $25 and a $50 coupon, plus a 20% savings on 2 plug-ins. so i got:
- new neve 88rs channel strip collection
its a redo of their plug-in with newer technology so since i have the original it was half price

- distortion essentials plug-in bundle
3 plug-in emulations of the ibanez tube screamer, pro co rat & big muff pi

i still have gas for the vsm-3, nseq 2, marshall plexi 1959 and a few other amp emulations
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Sun May 24, 2015 11:27 pm

here's my new 1u skb case for my apollo

its much more portable now, can fit as a plane carry-on, etc

there's some padding and whatnot in there so hopefully the apollo has enough ventilation and doesn't over heat or something. i'm still interested in trading in my apollo 1 for an apollo 2 but for now i'm gonna wait and see how the apollo 2 and its software matures

gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Wed May 27, 2015 5:23 pm

You mean you use it inside that case? That doesn't seem right.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed May 27, 2015 5:42 pm

That case looks sweet, but... no ventilation? I'd be afraid of frying that $$$ gear, man.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Wed May 27, 2015 9:06 pm

ya on the plus side it has nice rubber washers to prevent rack rash

my old case would get hot cause I had a Mac mini and external drive in it too

I haven't done any hardcore dsp stuff with the Apollo in its new rack but I might take an exacto knife and take out the padding if it gets really hot
gregwar

Previous

Return to KSS