UAD Apollo Quad

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

UAD Apollo Quad

Postby gregwar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:56 am

i think i'm going to pull the trigger

for 1 more day it comes with the neve channel strip, lexicon reverb and studder tape emulation (on top of the analog collection it already comes with like the la2a, 1176 and pultec)

the other plug-ins i want are the massive passive, fatso, shadow hills mastering comp and possibly the emt reverb, ampex tape emu and roland dimention d

its a step up from my previous apogee ensemble. not sure if the converters are as good as my previous apogee ad-16 but there's so many plug-ins for it that just blow my mind

i've been gassing hard for some hardware like an api lunchbox and compressors lately like the api 2500 and ssl g comp and they're each the same price as the whole interface lol

also, it works with mac and pc, so if i ever go the pc route or have windows in dual-boot (likely) i can still use my converters (unlike the apogee ensemble, mac only)

thoughts ?

if i do end up getting one i'll def post a review at some point
gregwar

Re: UAD Apollo Quad

Postby gregwar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:09 pm

so it is done

the unit will ship monday and will prolly arrive while i'm at work but thats ok because it will be something to look forwards to when i return

apparently if i register it before apr 15 i can get all the free plug-ins that it comes with even tho its past the deadline (mar 31st)

i feel very good about this and must now look into getting some proper monitors (speakers) and room treatment.

there are plans for me to travel back home for the summer, link up with my homeboys and just do music for a couple months until the rigs fire back up. i can't wait !

also, i watched the hobbit today and thoroughly enjoyed it
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:26 pm

sounds like a killer setup... i wanna hear the stuff that comes out of this!

awesome that you can afford it all... /jealous
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:49 pm

if I had the time / space / money I'd do much the same thing. :thu:

For now though, I'll go with native versions. Let us know how you likes it all! I also enjoyed the hobbit.. I heard there was lots of "filler" and it was stretched out into a 3 movie epic so I went into it (the search for more money!) with a negative attitude. but I watched it with my friend (it was his dvd) and he's really into that stuff and he said it followed the book and nothing was added in. Even barring that, I still liked it.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

well tonight i set up the apollo

UAD Installation 1 by greg_war, on Flickr

i cleared a space in the spare bdrm at my folks place and got it plugged in and up and running. it comes with the analog collection (la2a, 1176, realverb-pro, pultec and cs-1 channel strip). it also gave me a free voucher for the pultec pro when i registered it and $100 coupon.

i haven't redeemed the studder, lexicon 224 or neve channel strip yet but i called them while i was on a brief holiday last week and they said they'd just add the plug-ins manually to my account since i missed the deadline (apr 15th).

UAD Installation 2 by greg_war, on Flickr

i did the slutty thing and upgraded to the custom bundle for $800 you can choose 6 plug-ins and have 45 days to decide. so far i'm considering the ampex 2 channel mastering tape, the api eqs, the manley massive passive, the shadow hills mastering compressor, the emt 250 reverb and the empirical labs fatso ($1800 in plug-ins, bringing me up to $2880 in plug-ins total)

i'm gonna try the demos first and compare them to the nebula counter parts once i get the mac mini set up (i have to pull my tv out of storage tomorrow) then i can get the fantom g hooked up and call in for my plug-ins and the studio should be good to go.

UAD Installation 3 by greg_war, on Flickr

these will all be good fodder for the plug-in thread and hopefully i can get some reviews together, shoot-outs, etc and eventually publish some articles for the blog like a tape simulation shoot-out or something.
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 am

Oh man....

:love:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 pm

yea I agree.... :love:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:02 pm

I just with you lots of time to spend on this thing...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Man, that's like Serious Business. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 pm

here's the current set up

the apollo is mounted above a drawer, i guess i read too many threads about mounting rack gear in furniture lol. underneath is the mac mini and external hard drive. the 40" tv, wireless mouse and keyboard and fantom g are all playing nice.

the 2 things i need are a really long usb cable to connect the fantom to the mini and a mouse for the fantom g (it has a mouse input making editing on its screen much easier).

again the batteries of the wireless keyboard were dead but maybe dead batteries were put in before we shipped them cause i've started taking the new batteries out whenever i'm gone for a week +

gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Have you always had the Fantom G?

You need a decent desk, like, nao.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 pm

christianrock wrote:You need a decent desk, like, nao.

With built-in racks. Obviously.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm

ya I used to have one of them argosy desks for my mackie 32.8 it was super pro ! I also added a black marble slab underneath (which you can see under the rack on the right) :grin:

IMG_0465 by greg_war, on Flickr
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 am

update

so i had this $100 voucher and realized it expires in like 3 days so i got the 1176 classic collection for $50. so far i feel pretty good about it. there's 3 different 1176s they modelled and i like how they sound especially on bass guitar and drums.

here's russ, a british chap that gives a really good rundown on pro tools expert. there one of my main go-tos for reviews, tutorials, etc on gear & plug-ins

i got the v7 software too and have the demo for the ocean ways room plug-in. i have no way of explaining what this thing does, basically its a some rooms and microphones being modelled with the option to do some eq'ing and stuff.

i really like the idea of throwing fake instruments like physically modelled stuff into a fake rooms, through fake microphones, with fake tape, etc lol.

plus i demoed the massive passive, shadow hills mastering comp, ampex tape, etc. i still have like 6 plug-ins to choose in my custom bundle deal and i don't 100% know which to get. native plugs (even the stock logic ones) and nebula offer so many saturation, reverb, etc options its tough choose.
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:17 am

ok so 45 days are up and within my last 24 hours i finally decided what plug-ins to get in the custom bundle. in the future i'm not doing this again as deciding 6 multi-hundred dollar plug-ins was way harder than deciding on the apollo in the first place :facepalm:

anyways i went for:
- ampex atr-102
- emt 250 classic reverb
- fatso tape sim & compressor
- manley massive passive
- ocean way studio room
- and the shadow hills mastering comp

they're having a promotion right now where a bunch of plug-ins are on sale so i got
- the voice of god (really)
- and the teletronix la-2a classic leveler collection

this adds to what i already had:
- 1176 classic limiter collection
- 1176ln & se
- cs-1 channel strip
- lexicon 224 digital reverb
- neve 88rs channel strip
- pultec eqp-1a
- pultec pro eq
- realverb pro
- studder a800

so i paid around $1050 ($800 custom bundle, $50 for the 1176 bundle and $200 for the VOG and la2a bundle) for a whopping total of $3680 worth of plug-ins :freak:

i kinda purposely went for the most expensive/least discounted plug-ins they have. the 2 hardest ones to decide was passing on the api 500 series eq and the neve 33609 compressor. the moog filter, space echo and dimention d were also kind of hard to pass up this time around but i can always get them later as they're not retardedly expensive
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:36 am

Ya, well, when I bought my used $60 interface from GC, they threw in FOUR RACK SCREWS!

For FREE!!!

:grin:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm

LULZ

Congrats on all your plugins, Greg!

I thought you got all these vouchers for free stuff, not for discounts. So owning an Apollo ends up being quite expensive once you start buying into stuff that they could have just given you along with the interface for free anyway. Is all this stuff that much better than the cheaper internet offerings? Honest question.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:06 pm

i dunno. i sold my ensemble to fund an oil rig adventure so i needed an interface. it had to be pc and mac compliant this time, offer similar or better sound quality and i/o so i decided on the apollo.

i was hesitant because i thought the plug-ins would add (like exponentially) to the cost of the unit. i wanted the best of the uad plug-ins so i just had to plot & scheme and take advantage of their deals

it was a huge investment but i was able to stagger the purchases over a couple months. when you consider that you get an audio interface, a dsp processing card and a bunch of pro plug-ins i feel like i got a bargain.

what i want is to be able to use lots and lots of processing/coloration and not have my tracks turn into mush. plus i want to avoid the even more expensive route of going analog with my synths and effects.

i haven't tested all the native alternatives and couldn't tell you whether they're worth it or not but fwiw i think this is the closest you can get to the real hardware units
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a very pro setup. I hope you get enough time to use all of this!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 pm

update on the uad software and thunderbolt option card

I use FireWire 800 with my apollo and have been considering the tb card

up until this point the tb card functioned as a fw audio driver and a tb uad dsp, with 2 separate speeds for audio and plug-in dsp

the benefit of thunderbolt for dsp is that you can have more plug-ins and less latency. for audio at FireWire speeds it meant slower round trips to the daw and back.

now with uad 7.7.1 the audio is thunderbolt as well as the uad dsp card built in so it functions at true thunderbolt speeds and latency can be greatly reduced.

why this matters:
when you're recording audio there's 2 ways to listen with the apollo. one is thru their console app with almost zero latency, the other is thru the daw with the usual daw buffer, called software monitoring

I always use software monitoring and try to always track at a 64 buffer. but as soon as you add uad plug-ins the buffer has to be at a min of 512, enough to throw you off on any semi-rhythmic performance.

so the problem comes when you're part way through a mix and you want to add another vocal take, synth or vsti performance. now with everything at thunderbolt speeds apparently you can have almost no daw buffer, that would be awesome !

the downside is the tb option card sells for like $575 locally, I can get a whole apollo twin solo for $100 more :facepalm:
gregwar

Next

Return to KSS