Roland V-Synth GT

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Roland V-Synth GT

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Mine's been languishing.

So I moved it to front and center on my workstation. My theory is that if it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, that maybe I'll learn to use it better. I've been using it as little more than a preset machine. :facepalm: Yes, I know.

But here's a stupid: It's got a USB jack, yes? So I think, "hey, I'll hook that to the 'puter and I can MIDI sequence, yea and verily." I hook it up, and NO. No driver found. in other words, it doesn't advertise itself as a standard MIDI class device. :facepalm: :facepalm: So what the hell is the USB port for??

Turns out it's for audio directly. Had to install a driver special. And, yet, it STILL doesn't appear as a either a MIDI or an audio device in Sonar? ARHG!

In the meantime, it sits in front of me, mocking me. USB shenanigans aside, I want to hit the "Init" patch and see what I can cook up with it. It seems such a waste for it to just sit there otherwise. I gotta find the manual, though. Some features aren't particularly self-explanatory.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Re: Roland V-Synth GT

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Have you other software besides Sonar? Perhats that is the problem?

Also, I have pretty much only ever used Cubase, so I probably don't know anything.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Naw, I've only got Sonar. The only other one I've ever tried is Live. I think I could like Live, but I'm kinda invested in Sonar.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I know nothing neither, except that those things look massively badass. Even more than the Radius. I'm thinking the V is way more synth though?

My new Proteus thing taunted me with a USB jack too, which turns out to be only for updating the bios. fusk.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Sonar is Roland. If this doesn't work with Sonar, it's not gonna work anywhere.

V-Synth: the prettiest, highest quality uninspiring keyboard money can buy?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 pm

christianrock wrote:V-Synth: the prettiest, highest quality uninspiring keyboard money can buy?

Correct. :lol: I blame the touchscreen. No, really. it's glorified menu diving.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 pm

christianrock wrote:Sonar is Roland. If this doesn't work with Sonar, it's not gonna work anywhere.
:grin: That may have been pre-merger days?

christianrock wrote:V-Synth: the prettiest, highest quality uninspiring keyboard money can buy?
EP haz teh rack one, which is a strikingly handsome box, eh wot?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:EP haz teh rack one, which is a strikingly handsome box, eh wot?

Nay sir, 'tis the full-fledged keyboard, yo.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Also, and this might sound like I'm just being my typical picky self, but... The majority of the factory patches are uninspiring. And they smell like Roland, if you know what I mean. Which doesn't automatically make them BAD, but they're...

Uninspiring.

Seems like this thing ought to be capable for a lot more glitz and WOW than what it came with.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Also, and this might sound like I'm just being my typical picky self, but... The majority of the factory patches are uninspiring. And they smell like Roland, if you know what I mean. Which doesn't automatically make them BAD, but they're...

Uninspiring.

Seems like this thing ought to be capable for a lot more glitz and WOW than what it came with.

...if one's willing to dig under the hood :grin:

In other words, not for preset bunnies.[/img]
Last edited by christianrock on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:EP haz teh rack one, which is a strikingly handsome box, eh wot?

Nay sir, 'tis the full-fledged keyboard, yo.
Oh, my bad. Who am I thinking of, then, who has a rack one? Well, never mind, it makes no dif as long as squirrels are shiny.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:43 pm

The only guy I can think of that had the rack was Diametro, I think. Probably there were other, but I don't recall.

Squirrel.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:29 am

Yeah, that's who I was thinking it was.

But am I correct in my assumption that the V is more synth than Radius? It should be, considering the price difference.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Plink got EP mixed up with Diametro? Ouch :)

Don't underestimate the fact that that Radias (with an A ;)) has a ton of knobs. But that still didn't please Metro...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:17 pm

if they can be had cheap enough, they're fun.

the knob placement was counter intuitive to me and the sound was very middle range, like the OB12, but without the cool sound or as many options. The RADIAS more than anything, looks cool and I think it was priced too high considering it only offered a few shades more functionality than the EMX1.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:59 pm

christianrock wrote:Plink got EP mixed up with Diametro? Ouch :)

Don't underestimate the fact that that Radias (with an A ;)) has a ton of knobs. But that still didn't please Metro...
Oops, double doofus me. :facepalm:

Metro, did you haz RUDIAS at one time?
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I offered a guy $1400 for a v-synth gt 2 (with te keys) but he said he would take $1700 which is outside of my budget.

he said that a guy is buying it in a couple weeks so I have time to do my taxes and see but there's also a voyager old school I've been looking at :facepalm:

mainly I want to try the vocal card but I might have to wait on a deal for the v-synth rack with the d-50 card. it is sweet having keys vs racks tho

I'm not too familiar with the other functions of the v-synth but I've always wanted one especially if it has the same look as the fantom g :cool:
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:22 pm

I can't compare it to the Fantom, 'cause I've never actually seen one in person, much less used one. The Vocal Designer is built into the V-S2 GT, not a separate "card". It doesn't have the D-50 personality, though. What it does have is 2 tones instead of just the one that the original V-Synth had.

I've been dabbling a bit more with it... Generally, it's capable of lots and lots, but the touchscreen kinda makes me sad. Even though it's got a row of knobbies up front and some various dedicated controls, you still wind up doing pretty much the bulk of the work via the touchscreen, and (IMHO) the UI elements are a bit too small for the screen. I have to exert more brain cells on aiming properly at the thing I want to poke at than I would like to. It distracts somewhat from the task at hand, I think. If the kept the UI as it is but increased the screen size, say, 50%, I think that would improve it dramatically. Alternatively, they could redesign the UI to better fit in the limited real estate they've got, and maybe knock off some of the flashier graphic details. Again, distracting.

But I've found and loaded some more patches, and some of them have grown on me, more than the factory patches have. Overall, though, it's ridiculous overkill for my needs, and I should probably sell it and put that money into something more practical. :)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:26 am

hey ep if i get this d50 card for the v-synth gt i don't see teh slot for it ?!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Roland-D-50-Rola ... 3a819e9d10

:wave:
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:44 pm

:facepalm:

:lol:

No slot, eh? Are you sure? Look harder. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to KSS