APPS !1

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

APPS !1

Postby gregwar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 am

my iOS daw considerations thread . . lol

i started a thread like this a few years ago with the new & exciting world of music apps for mobile. this time i'd like to keep it platform agnostic and include mandroid, bbm, win phone and iOS.

i did a digital spring cleaning 2 days ago and wiped pretty much everything off of my iphone 4s. plus i finally got a debit card that allows me to make online purchases so i can load up on apps without using someone elses card.

i've also been considering getting a surface pro for fruity loops (the iOS app was pretty terrible when i tried it). plus i'm wanting to get a mount for it in my truck dash board so i can use it as a tablet-deck, mostly because it has 128g storage and/or sync it to myplex.

before i cop out and go the x86 intel i5 route (and spend double what an android or ipad deck would cost) i'd like to give the mobile studio another shot. some apps that were awesome that i already tried are xenon (made 50+ beats in it), tenori-on, filtatron, node beat and mortal kombat (obvs)

so far today i got touchOSC, iKaossilator (amazing), iMaschine, propellerhead figure, animoog, DM1, TNR-i and akai synthstation ($2 wat). these are all the same cost as one baddass plug-in for logic like aalto i got earlier this days off.

anyways paolo's blog synthtopia has endless reviews of apps, richard devine's facebook is loaded with all the granular/stranger stuff, and countless others have regular reviews. i even heard of a front page for cmg one time ?

lets keep the recommendations and reviews flowing !
gregwar

Re: APPS !1

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:08 pm

I"ve posted quite a few actually. Just re posts of other stuff though. There's a couple reasons though if it seems like I haven't been.. 1. I never had an ios device before, which was the biggest reason and 2. the few that I posted didn't get that many hits. The ones that do tend to be the classic synth stuff, tangerine dream, prophet 5, Moogs,radio phonic workshop ect.

So just from by "hits", I've tried to keep it to straight synth demos and music. Traffic here seems more consistent when I do that.

But however, now that I have an ipad and I have the ielectribe, sunrizer and something else I forget what it is, I wanted to do reviews of it. One thing I wanted to focus on the blog here is doing reviews which details sound content. Most reviews seem to miss that for some reason. Filter sweeps, extreme highs and lows ect. to really show off what you're getting.

So now that I have a macbook, ipad and PC laptop there's no reason why I can't do reviews of anything. And that's not saying that you can't either, now that you have an account here. :)

And that goes for anyone on here! if you'd like to write a review of something, let me know and I can setup you up with an account or post it for you and give you credit. Plink did that review or something when he went to guitar centers event I think? I really enjoyed having that on the front page. The thing I want to avoid here is catering to a specific mindset or way of doing things.

Simply from posting what I like, I seem to have picked up a following of readers with it. But there's plenty of people that aren't me on here that also have something valid to say as well.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:49 am

well time to update this thread

I now have an iPad 1 as a review unit so when I screw around with apps I can post about it. there's limitations (it crashes on big websites and in the app store) but shud hold me over until the next iPads are announced (supposedly between now and oct '13)

if I invest in apps like lemur ($50) a few times then I'll be sorta stuck if my iPad goes down or when a new one comes along lol. when u have an iPhone and iPad apps have a + meaning they work on both. if not something like animoog has 2 separate apps and you don't seem to get any discount when you already have one version.

the iPhone is ok for chopping beats but really the iPad has so much more screen real estate that it shud fit in much better in a studio

last consideration is that there might be too much apple in this thread :cop:

I'd like other touchscreen options vetted like android, win rt, bbm, etc. my dad has a new Samsung galaxy phone I might be able to steal it at some point and check out the apps available and ease of using their ecosystem vs apple
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 pm

I fail to understand the need to use iPads as hosts for anything. I find them very attractive as controllers.

Yet of course I will follow this thread to see if the iPad can do anything a Macbook wouldn't be able to do :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm

I forget the name, but it sucked to see the one good midi controller app go under. If they weren't making money on it, they should have released it for free and let people come up with new controller schemes for it.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:53 am

well tonight i tried the new live control 2 for ableton live (i have the live 9 demo) and v-control pro with logic. i'm impressed with both.

the live control is by liine and is basically a daw control skin for lemur. it works really well and you can launch clips, change the settings on said clips with knobs, faders or bouncy balls. its really too bad that after all these years ableton continues to confuse the shit out of me :facepalm:

i think the v-control app for ipad is touted as being one of the best. the v-window is really awesome where you can edit the actual gui of your plug-in. it works as a virtual screen so there is lag on the ipad but its pretty immediate in the daw.

the faders for mixing are really responsive and the transport works really well. you can change between setting the panning or buss sends with a big dial on top of the channel strip. i just got it a couple hours ago so i'll write more when i get deeper into these 2 control apps
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:13 pm

A heads up!

"KeyZ" is free today only from the app store for iOS. It's a keyboard-based sequencer with 8 available tracks and tons of instruments to choose from. AudioBus supported.

I haven't tried the app yet, but when I get home I am going to download just because it's free today. If anyone else has this, is it any good?

ETA: Also, Garageband is going free, soon. (of course, the more interesting features will require in-app purchase)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Todays deals! (Dec 13, 2013)

These apps are either FREE or are ON SALE:

Audulus - Modular synth app for iPad

iLectric Piano - Electric piano emulator for iPad

Vocolo - Vocoder app for iPhone

Vocolo is free today, and I'm hoping Audulus is free also. I haven't been able to check that one, since my iPad is actually with me, but no wifi.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:15 pm

And yes, GreggersWAR, I hijacked your thread. Simply because it's title is "Apps" :P
selfinflikted
Down in it

Return to KSS