My Mac DAW considerations thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: My Mac DAW considerations thread

Postby gregwar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:38 pm

thread necrar for iPad Pro !!1

collectively, tech reviewers seem to like the huge screen and can get some 'work' done. still, its not a laptop replacement and they have a difficult time recommending it over a normal size iPad for most people

here's an interesting review of the iPad pro: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/11/ip ... -ios/4/#h2

the best part of the ars technica review is the benchmarks comparing it to laptops and the conclusion at the end:
We’re looking at MacBook Air-class CPU performance and MacBook Pro-class [integrated] GPU performance . . .

My biggest gripes with the iPad Pro are with the software rather than the hardware, and that means that most of them can be fixed . . . given a couple of iOS updates the iPad Pro has room to grow into a more versatile laptop replacement without necessarily giving up the things that people like about iOS.

so basically, its huge and powerful. as full-screen synth/drum machine apps i think this has amazing potential, like the iPads before it

so in theory something like diva can run ok, maybe not quite in divine mode but it would run 3-4 instances on the next best mode on a macbook air (the iPad pro has a 2.25 dual core cpu).

the problem is still 4gb of unpublished ram. this is enough to meet the minimum specs of most sampler synths like omnisphere but 8 or even 16gb would be ideal (not to mention 128g of storage wouldn't be enough).

apparently the lightning connector can transfer at usb 3 speeds, so there's the possibility of high speed peripherals now. there are external hard drives for iOS but they're mainly wireless:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphon ... d-3579792/

here's iConnectAUDIO 4:
http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/a ... AUDIO4plus

here's an iOS file browser:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/filebro ... 38545?mt=8

audio units (logic's type of plugins) are also coming to iOS devices:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/05/first-loo ... -plug-ins/

so there's a lot of stuff happening with iOS. with the iPad pro's huge screen, multitasking and powerful hardware, there's a lot of potential even if it doesn't replace your main daw
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:14 pm

I do love the way that iPads are just getting beefier and beefier (in terms of spec, not size/heft) each year. I think it's awesome.

I love technology.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:16 pm

I saw the new iPad Pro and was intrigued. But I didn't research further because I figured it would cost an arm and a leg.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:38 pm

christianrock wrote:I saw the new iPad Pro and was intrigued. But I didn't research further because I figured it would cost an arm and a leg.

It does. It's like, 800 bones, IIRC.

I paid $599 x 2 for the Air 2's for Xmas this year. OUCHIES.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Ouchies indeed.

I might be changing jobs (and make 20% more) in a few weeks, so that might convince teh wife that I can give myself something that I haven't paid for by selling my stuffs, for the first time in like, years.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 pm

christianrock wrote:Ouchies indeed.

I might be changing jobs (and make 20% more)

:eek:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:45 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:Ouchies indeed.

I might be changing jobs (and make 20% more)

:eek:

My current job doesn't believe much in keeping with inflation rates, it seems. My salary's not quite competitive with the market at this point.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:48 pm

christianrock wrote:
My current job doesn't believe much in keeping with inflation rates, it seems. My salary's not quite competitive with the market at this point.

You cannot KNOW "not competitive" until you know what I make as a GIS analyst working for local gov't. And I won't tell you, because it's far too embarrassing.

But I will tell you this: Seven years ago, the County hired a company to come in and do a study to see if our wages were competitive to the private sector. They were not, and woefully so.

Let me just reiterate: They PAID a company to come in to see if they were paying us enough.

Does anyone else not see the irony in this?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Guberment, man. :lol:

Also: +20%?? YES PLZ
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Forgot to mention, the study cost over 3 mil.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:22 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:

You cannot KNOW "not competitive" until you know what I make as a GIS analyst working for local gov't. And I won't tell you, because it's far too embarrassing.

But I will tell you this: Seven years ago, the County hired a company to come in and do a study to see if our wages were competitive to the private sector. They were not, and woefully so.

Let me just reiterate: They PAID a company to come in to see if they were paying us enough.

Does anyone else not see the irony in this?

Well, I'm sure there must be other benefits, otherwise you'd be looking for another job...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Indeed, there are.

1) Complete job security.
2) Good benefits, fringe and otherwise
3)???
4) No profit.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:57 am

well i just updated my laptop to mac osx 10.11.1 el capitan

http://www.apple.com/ca/osx/whats-new/

i got an email from native instruments a few days ago saying the issues with audio unit plugins have been resolved in with 11.1

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... lity-news/

i've been using the new safari with mute and photos for a while. both are good but don't require a major os update. font, search, split screen views, mail, etc don't interest me atm.

the new notes app can do more and syncs well. when i upgraded it on my iphone it found about 500 notes that i'd lost so that was awesome !! i use it and voice memo all the time so now i can add a voice memo of a beat box directly to lyrics for example.

there isn't tons in this update thats worth destabilizing your system. metal brings some speed improvements and everything feels snappy. nothing seems broken by it yet but ymmv
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:05 pm

SO after swearing not to do it, I upgraded my MacBook Pro to El Capistan (newest OSX version) during the break. My friend convinced me to do it.

The main reason was that all my Native Instruments stuff wasn't supported at OSX Lion (10.7) anymore. And I do plan on upgrading my Maschine software to the newest version in the next fire sale that they have.

So the upgrade went FANTASTIC. I am starting to see why people love Macs. With Windows past upgrades (way back then), you have to reinstall all your stuffs and then half of them won't work properly (usually driver issues). With this upgrade (from 10.7 to 10.11 which is pretty significant) everything seems to work properly and the upgrade was very seamless.

I have to say though, that I upgraded my wife's Windows computer from WIndows 8 to Windows 10 and the upgrade was also very seamless and everything worked properly. So I think it's just the times we live in now - everything is just easier and no more "plug and pray".

tl;dr: Upgrading Mac to newest version of OSX was easy, recommended, would upgrade again.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:45 am

So ... general consensus seems to be it's okay now to upgrade to El Capitan? I'm still running Yosemite ATM but I can upgrade to El Cap for free. Any reason not to? Just asking in case I'm not thinking this through. Thanks in advance.

Also. I've used MacProVideo for some good video training. One of you guys recommended another site that evidently has ALL the MacProVideo content and then some. I've dug around trying to find that thread and keep getting a goose egg. Any pointers to that site would also be appreciated.
midinut

Postby christianrock » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:12 pm

I've upgraded and everything is running fine. The only thing I had to do was upgrade my MR816x driver, and that was a breeze anyway.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:54 pm

ask audio is the 'sister site'

i'm actually not as concinved that they have everything from mac pro video too

either way thats the one i'm signed up with
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 pm

So the el captian went ok? The notification to upgrade has been nagging me forever.

Yea I gotta say i love my mac. Downside is there are some neat plugins that are made in all of those plug and play DSP programs that don't work on mac though.. :(
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:37 pm

ya i've been using it since NI said it was ok

i think it was mav or yos that broke my compatibility with my v-synth gt so i keep my mac mini on that operating system.
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:54 pm

I think *maybe* by the end of the year I'm going to get an iMac.

I installed live on my work PC just to fart around with some windows only VSTs during my lunch breaks and on my work monitor, there's so much more room in Live.. :eek: Having an iMac would also free up my desk space in front of it for controller and such. Definitely something to think about.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Previous

Return to KSS