My Mac DAW considerations thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

My Mac DAW considerations thread

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 pm

So as the story goes, I have now have an imac and a macbook pro and I have some questions about perhaps making the switch to either of those.

1. what's the life expectancy of a mac? I can coax about 6-10 years out of a pc until it just can't keep up either because of hardware problems or the OS is no longer supported. hows that comparable to mac?

2. given intel processors of the same speed, I'm running a dual 2.2 right now with 4 gigs of ram, will the mac have more processing head room that will result in improved performance? I know back in the day of the RISC, you could assume that the processor would run anywhere from .5 to 1.5 times faster since OSX isn't as bulky as windows.

3. All of my samples are in wav format. I figure most audio programs on mac read everything and I won't have to convert, right?

4. I checked and everything I run has a mac equivalent. Will you sometimes have to pay for mac version? I don't think that you do, you just download the mac version and say that you got a new computer when you register the software.

5. how many likes from girls can I expect to get if I start posting pics of an imac, my ikea desk and my wall full of album art? do you think I could at least score a duck face?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: My Mac DAW considerations thread

Postby gregwar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:40 pm

duck face & hopefully lots of cleavage lol

welcome to the mac clan, now you have to exhibit your refined taste in design and apparel.

here's an beautiful and obscure german magazine you can talk about and show people from your macbook pro at starbucks, or preferably a locally owned fair trade & organic coffee shop where they serve a small selection of vegan baked goods like the linux cafe or saving gigi in toronto: http://www.uponpaper.com

like colors of a lost empire

here's a russian design firm where you can get ironic flash drives and pillows: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/id/

and don't forget to check the red dot design award winners for everything from forklifts to fridges to sun glasses and websites: http://red-dot.de/pd/online-exhibition/ ... 2&i=0&oes=

gq is admittedly fairly pedestrian and won't win you bonus style points but its a good starting place: http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style (obvs the uk edition)

from there its better to chart your own path as a man with exacting taste no one magazine will have it all. here's a sampler of uk mens fashion magazines: http://www.newsstand.co.uk/513-Mens-Lif ... tions.aspx

what were the questions again ?
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:17 pm

also practice some of these facial expressions in the mirror as its not a press kit cliché if it works: http://depresseddjs.tumblr.com

and listen to music blogs where the artists are looking depressed, preferably with black & white photos like headphone commute

ok i'm done trolling for now

1) the life expectancy for a mac varies. i've had 2 macbook pros but that is by no means a large enough sample to draw conclusions. the biggest consideration is how much you use a macbook pro this will wear down the parts faster (especially the battery), whether you have it on the bed all the time (somewhat blocking the ventilation causing it to over heat and your fans to die), and how hard you push it in the studio and otherwise like maxing out the cpu for hours on end.

both of my macbook pros suffered early battery deaths, i've had 2 ssd drives die, one lacie external and a few internal hdds. back up everything regularly then back up your back up imho. one or two dead pixels on the screen is a common issue as is the trackpad failing then magically coming back to life. afaik imacs have it slightly better as they're not being jostled around in a backpack and whatnot all the time but i don't have any real first hand experience with them.

2) i don't know. speed is hard to judge in a subjective manner. i was under the impression windows machines are 'snappier' than macs with hdds (maybe not with ssds). different daws handle processing differently. logic will bounce a track really fast or really slow depending on the resources and latency, play back, etc are mutually dependent in logic.

for example if you have a track with diva selected and play back your song, logic is ready for you to lay down diva parts (thus using cpu, especially at low latency) but if an empty track is selected during play back you can squeeze a couple more tracks in before starting to freeze everything.

3) right, macs handle .wav no problem in the daws i've tried (logic, reason, live, reaper, pro tools, cubendo, renoise, audio mulch, machine/kore, numerology, bidule, wave editor, premiere, sound forge, etc).

4) yes sometimes you have to pay for the mac version. it depends on the software maker but the serial, key file, virtual dongle or whatevs isn't necessarily the same on mac and windows. you'd have to try each one and then email the customer support and/or look online for solutions if it doesn't work.

5) refer to my first post in this thread
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 pm

Greg,
Are you a hipster? :freak:

Or maybe you just have too much time on your hands up there in eelaskee. :lol:

I think what' I'm going to do is just get my macbook up and running and then just go for total immersion therapy. And then in the meantime, save up for an iMac. Both of my macs are owned by the school. I can use the book as needed, but I can't hardly seemyself walking out with an imac :/ and not to mention, i'd like to own my own newer imac eventually.

I don't turn on the computer I have but twice a week. I like the all on in form factor and I also now have two laptops should I decide to go live or travel. So there we go. And yea, there' definitely needs to be some sort of bench mark CPU test I guess.. maybe I can look one up and give it a try.

We just bought our son a Dell all in one pc in the midst of Best Buys president dale sale last night, which we didn't know was going on. We caught them in a bait and switch because they stuck the 1k touch screen windows 8 PC in the slot for the same one that didn't have the touch screen. And not to mention the touch screen one wasn't out. And then for nearly a half hour they tried to talk us into taking the 1k one. :facepalm:

I know best buy is being called amazon's show room, but you're not going to win business by making it look and feel like walmart. I refused to go to compusa because of lousy service, but they turned that around and made customer service part of their pay. And needless to say, that's where I go now. I think best buy needs to start following that model.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm

gregwar wrote: i was under the impression windows machines are 'snappier' than macs with hdds (maybe not with ssds).

Windows machines with SSDs (can't speak for Win 8 machines) are SUPER fast. From a total powered down state, I can press the power button and have Windows booted and ready to load whatever proggie I want to run in about 20 seconds (full Win 7). Less if I didn't have a Windows login password.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Heres another option for me as well... dell makes a pc all in one the same speccs as the imac but with touch screen and about 300 less. I could see using that with Live and performing with it.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Heres another option for me as well... dell makes a pc all in one the same speccs as the imac but with touch screen and about 300 less. I could see using that with Live and performing with it.

That sounds like so much fun. It's exciting to me, this push towards moving everything to touchscreen interfacing. I am really keen on the idea, but haven't really been able to experience it outside the iPhone/iPad arena.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but does the "all-in-one" phrase refer to a monitor with the PC parts built into it?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Pretty much. Its like a pc imac.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:39 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Pretty much. Its like a pc imac.

I am as unfamiliar with Mac territory, outside of portable devices and phones, as I am with most everything else. I've been a PC man since the beginning of (my) time, but I can slowly see that changing.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 pm

well apparently best buy will start price matching online retailers permanently.

o ya btw the new imacs are starting to make an appearance in the refub shop. $1099 for a 21" i5 'supathin' imac or so.

i'm still undecided whether i'm gonna get a last gen 17" macbook pro or wait & see what the next retina macbook pros will be like

either way i'd like to keep a snow leopard 32 bit mac around for all the old apps i have that i don't even know are broken on the mac mini yet

this thread is now about windows lol
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Sun May 19, 2013 5:45 pm

metrowar any updates on the Mac daw ?
gregwar

Postby midinut » Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 am

MetroSonus wrote:
I know best buy is being called amazon's show room, but you're not going to win business by making it look and feel like walmart. I refused to go to compusa because of lousy service, but they turned that around and made customer service part of their pay. And needless to say, that's where I go now. I think best buy needs to start following that model.

I was under the impression that CompUSA went out of business. I used to work for them years ago as a trainer, tech, and sales guy. Maybe it was just the US stores. Oh well, good luck with the Mac journey. They are great machines. I've been immersed in the PC realm for a long time now but would love to someday grab an iMac, or a Mac Mini, or a MacBook. They were loads of fun back in the days I used them.
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm

midinut wrote:I was under the impression that CompUSA went out of business.

That they did... but then they got bought out and snapped up by TigerDirect a few years back. In essence becoming TigerDirect's show room, I guess. :lol:

I think they've even changed the name now, but I haven't stepped in one of those stores in a long time. It's either Newegg (with its helpful army of supergeek reviewers) or Amazon (the Prime, I haz it) these days.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 20, 2013 4:48 pm

midinut wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:

I was under the impression that CompUSA went out of business. I used to work for them years ago as a trainer, tech, and sales guy. Maybe it was just the US stores. Oh well, good luck with the Mac journey. They are great machines. I've been immersed in the PC realm for a long time now but would love to someday grab an iMac, or a Mac Mini, or a MacBook. They were loads of fun back in the days I used them.

Compusa went under. They are now owned by Tiger Direct.

Right now, I have a lot of options I"m just not jumping at right now. Being in gradschool really messed with my mind. I just want to chill out and let it come to me naturally bro. Yea my mac is sitting right here next to me on my desk at work. Don't use it much other than to use it as a reference when I need to help someone.
MetroSonus

Postby Veracohr » Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm still chugging away on a 2007 Macbook Pro, although I've had to have it fixed a couple times due to board failure. I suspect those failures were related to the battery heat; I don't know if the newer models have cooler batteries or not. Unfortunately the newer Macs are increasingly un-fixable (for the user) and non-upgradable.

I don't see any reason, given identical processors, that OSX would do better than Windows for DAW's. Either can have lots of background processes screwing things up, and either can be optimized for audio purposes.
Veracohr

Postby gregwar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:50 am

new mac everything except the lowly Mac mini

I'm quite fond of the 15" retina mbp 2 but sadly I don't think it's powerful enough for my needs.

my mini has a 2.3g quad core i7 with hyper threading and I've been consistently maxing it out, freezing tracks, etc. I think even the new haswell 2.6g i7 in the MacBook Pro is more of a battery improvement then raw processor power.

I'm kinda at a cross roads now with my daw, I think the new Mac Pro is actually priced fairly aggressively but all the expansion I would want would end up costing me extra in thunderbolt enclosures.

I could build a pc with a new xeon 8 core v2, 32g ram, ssds, etc but at the end of the day I'm not sure if I'd save that much money until the upgraded Mac Pro prices come out

power users need power lol
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:07 pm

gregwar wrote:power users need power lol

...and money. I don't have power or money. I'm useless. :freak:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:22 pm

It's all an illusion, that we need more money and more power. Otherwise, how can they keep selling new stuff?

The following record was done in 1991, with two MacIntosh computers that you could probably get in a garage sale for a buck fiddy. Anything we have today is more powerful than what they had back then. But none of us has recorded anything as good as this:

I don't know if I should :grin: or :cry:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:36 pm

+ 10000 ^^^^^^^^^
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:03 pm

christianrock wrote:The following record was done in 1991, with two MacIntosh computers that you could probably get in a garage sale for a buck fiddy. Anything we have today is more powerful than what they had back then.

Well, to be fair, Trevor Rabin also had a state of the art DDA Profile mixer and Neumann U89s and other Expensive Studio Gear. And, also, eighteen months to work through the inevitable computer malfunctions and buggies. :samsh:

But Yes also had Teh Talent (TM) which is what really matters.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Next

Return to KSS