I kinda want the new Korg Mini MS-20, but...

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

I kinda want the new Korg Mini MS-20, but...

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 am

... but those kiddie keys! :mad: Yeah, I know, midi it to whatev, but, come on, Korg! Just leave em off if they can't be the proper size. sheesh.

Which led me to think: "Well, at that price, I'll wait for a used one, saw off the chicklets and rack it myself." But, if it's 86% of the original (569 mm wide), that comes to about 19.26". Now, the inside distance of a 19" rack is about 18". Depending on how far the innards sprawl inside the case, wouldn't it be a kick in the arse if they made it 'just a tad too big' to rack mount it?

Although it's buttugly, it's more synth than a MiniMoog. But it's still not as good as the Odyssey (yes, I thought the Ody filter sounded fine). Who has the mfr rights to all that ARP stuff? All I can find out about that is that CBS bought the rights to the 4-Voice Piano and Chroma.

I think a rack/tabletop sized Odyssey would be a hit.

I Thank You!

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Re: I kinda want the new Korg Mini MS-20, but...

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm

So they're the mini keys and not just a 25 key keyboard? feh.jpg.

You know someone is going to chop em off and make a MS 20 M sooner or later. I just don't get the whole mini key thing.. seriously. I guess it worked for the microkorg, but everything since then has lacked the kitch and cutness of it and I wonder if it's worked so well as a gimmick.

they'd probably sell 10 times as many if they were full sized.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm

MetroSonus wrote:they'd probably sell 10 times as many if they were full sized.

Or if they just left off the keys altogether. Sheesh. I kinda maybe sorta want one too.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi, I'm your friendly neighborhood devil's advocate. :wave:

Minikeys keep the size (and the cost) down. I bet it can make a synth at least 20% cheaper. That's significant.

The original minikeys were crap, I agree. But having played the newer MicroKorg, I find them very nice and playable. I have no issues with this. It's not like I need a mono analog to have piano keys. For inputting notes, this is more than fine.

Also, coming soon: Bob's PWM mod for the new MS20. Guaranteed to satisfy :jam:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:04 am

i was a rack synth slut for a long time mounting everything in my argosy desk and preferring teh mastar keyboard approach.

still, when i jam at the store i'm really liking having keys on each synth for instant gratificationess especially on analog synths like the moog voyager

mini keys kinda suck but hey if ur in front of it just noodling something its nice to not have to go into the motu midi software, rig up teh midi talks to the rack and everything

if you have an idea you can just play it and when something good sounding comes along switch to the regular size keys or midi or whatevs
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 am

Oh I can deal with mini keys, I'd just rather not. I'm not as nimble on them, so why suffer if I've a choice?

It just seems that Korg is re-packaging a perfectly usable, playable, proven form factor into something that they can market to hipster dilettantes while saying "Look, it's a knobby MicroKorg. Kool, huh?"
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 pm

christianrock wrote:It's not like I need a mono analog to have piano keys. For inputting notes, this is more than fine.
OK, for inputting notes it'll suffice. But not for Playing Music.

Tell ya wut: trade me your butterscotch Tele for my Mickeeytar. Yeah, it's a little shorter scale, but close enough, eh?

(If I really had that it'd be worth more than your Fender lol)
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm

They're smaller keys, but not minikeys.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Weedlekin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 pm

The MS-20 keys aren't the sort of toy mini keys that some other Korg products have (e.g. the dreadful things on the Korg Legacy Controller). It has a new keyboard designed specifically for it with keys that are a smidgeon under 90% of the width of a piano key, so they're more a or less the same size as accordion keys.

I've been playing keyboards for well over 35 years, and would inifinitely prefer three octaves of accordion-sized keys for fast, non-simplistic leads over the two octaves of full sized keys that the Minibrute and Sub-Phatty have. I can adjust to a slightly smaller keyboard width with a little practice, but my perverse habit of sometimes playing in keys that have some black notes in them renders a two octave keyboard utterly useless to me from a musical perspective.
Weedlekin

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:52 pm

$600 Aint bad either. Now i want one. This plus an em1 could be really fun
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 pm

I see a new generation of electronic music coming up
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Again with the non-standard key sizes. Why? WHY???
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Again with the non-standard key sizes. Why? WHY???

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Again with the non-standard key sizes. Why? WHY???

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:12 am

You're mocking me. Aren't you. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:43 am

Korg is mocking you.

Weedlekin wrote:The MS-20 keys aren't the sort of toy mini keys that some other Korg products have (e.g. the dreadful things on the Korg Legacy Controller). It has a new keyboard designed specifically for it with keys that are a smidgeon under 90% of the width of a piano key, so they're more a or less the same size as accordion keys.

I've been playing keyboards for well over 35 years, and would inifinitely prefer three octaves of accordion-sized keys for fast, non-simplistic leads over the two octaves of full sized keys that the Minibrute and Sub-Phatty have. I can adjust to a slightly smaller keyboard width with a little practice, but my perverse habit of sometimes playing in keys that have some black notes in them renders a two octave keyboard utterly useless to me from a musical perspective.
[i]Agreed, I'd rather have three oct of accordion keys than 2 standard. But I just can't believe they saved a substantial amount of money by downscaling the thing by 86%.

Maybe they were going to market a new AkKordion, Roland slapped a C&D on them, and they suddenly needed to unload a warehouse full of accordion keybeds...
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 am

Those keys in the picture look really short, too. I just measured my accordion keys, and they're almost as long as synth keys (a little over 5"). My A-80 keys are 5 3/4".
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:28 pm

take a look at the videos i just posted on the front page. the keys aren't the mini controllers ones we think they are. They're pretty playable and more like accordion keys like weedlekin
MetroSonus

Postby Weedlekin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 pm

The real downside isn't the slightly reduced keys, but the fact that it uses a wall wart. I kind of expected it would at the price Korg are selling it for, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Weedlekin

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:You're mocking me. Aren't you. :grin:

I just needed a reason to post that mini-toilet. Mainly, to amuse myself :grin:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Next

Return to KSS