January new gear thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

January new gear thread

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 pm

I went ahead and got this: the alesis qx25. What I need and what I want are seriously two different things. 9 times out of ten I don't really do any playing at my desk and it's actually a hassle to have to get the 61 out of the closet and put it on the desk and then put it away later when i'm done. And that mainly all goes back to me not being a full time studio. I prefer to use my desk as a home office..

But anyway, it has enough controls for me, is small enough to stick it in the drawer, the right price and will allow me to program VSTs, mess round ect. and if I need it, I still have the 61. This way to me, I'm extending functionality rather than replacing one issue with another.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: January new gear thread

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 am

I'm OK with this.

:wave:

Please share your impressions concerning

- the action of the drum pads.

- quality of aftertouch

- ease of knob twiddlry by sausage fingered people (tiny they look)

And, dedicated octave buttons on a 25 banger I get, but why do they waste space for dedicated transpose buttons? I'd rather have patch up/down.
Plink Floyd

Re: January new gear thread

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 am

Over all, i'm pretty happy with it. great for easy fiddlin, goes right in the drawer. keys are actually pretty good. A nice spring to them, but no klack or side to side movement. Although I'm not happy with the default velocity curve and im' going to have to figure out how to adjust it. The pads work fine.. not as good as my lpd8, but no real complaints.

knobs.. whoa boy. they feel a little close together, but not too bad. You do touch the other knob when you turn one, but it's not a huge deal. They're endless encoders, but they click with each turn and the scaling is awful. I wonder if there's a way to edit that. I'm going to write to alesis and see. two full turns is 0-127. that's fine for MIDI, if you need it I guess, but most parameters on VSTs don't scale that far. I mean one full rotation should open a closed filter all the way. I'd like to see if I can get it fixed with an editor or something... but if not, no biggie. My needs are simple with this. Just something that will let me edit / play VSTs with out having to drag out the 61.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Return to KSS