Question About TR Rack?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Question About TR Rack?

Postby midinut » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 am

Hey Everyone:

I was doing a little research and stumbled upon some real good demos of the Korg TR Rack. I think I first saw them over at KSS but it may have been in the Korg Forums, and it seems like a couple of you guys have or have had one of these racks.

I used to have a Karma Music Workstation, you know the maroon machine. I loved it and composed quite a few songs on it before selling it to fund my M3-73. I have the Kronos 61 now and have already been considering picking up another Karma board used at some point. But I got to thinking about those demos for the TR Rack, and how well it would go with the downtempo/chill/ambient stuff I do anyway. I was digging around over at Karma Labs since Stephen is running his holiday sale through Jan 1, and ran across a thread where someone was talking about taking their Triton LE and using the Triton Software and it was giving them, in essence, a Karma Music Workstation - if I read things correctly. So I thought that if I picked up a used TR Rack, added the software, would it give me everything I had in the Karma MW or would I be missing something? I've got pads on the Kronos and a NanoPad2 so I have the pads covered already. Also, my thinking is that a rack won't take up near as much room as another board. Anything else anyone can think of? Thanks in advance.

For the same reasons as above, I also composed a bunch of stuff with my M3 and am still trying to assymilate the Kronos into doing all that the M3 did (and the more it obviosly brings to the table itself). Keeps me on the fence over selling it up to now.
midinut

Re: Question About TR Rack?

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am

I can only contribute the knowledge that there are several used ones @ Guitar Center from $79 to $200. Plug "korg tr" into the search box. If I didn't need nineteen other things first, I'd buy one.

There's some Triton racks too... which one's better?
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Not sure, looks to me from pics only that the Triton Rack is a 2U rack and may have the ability to load expansion boards (EXB's) and possibly sample ram. I think it is built off of the Triton itself. Whereas the TR Rack is 1U and is based off the Triton LE engine. I don't think it has any expansion capabilities.

At Karma-Labs, he has the Karma Triton Software available for the Triton, Triton Studio, triton Extreme, Triton Rack, and the LE/TR. according to a Pre-Sales thread I was reading over there, Stephen confirmed to a poster that his software would indeed make a Triton LE into virtually a Karma Workstation. So I'm assuming that would also apply to the TR Rack as well. I posted a reply asking him, so we'll see how that goes.

Interesting concept regardless. I look forward to seeing how this all pans out. I may need to borrow from Santa to take advantage of the sale. I'm wanting the Karma Software for my Kronos as well.
midinut

Postby midinut » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:48 pm

My bad ... Turns out the TR Rack is a derivative of the "Trinity" series, not the "Triton" series as I had first thought. I'll start looking at used Triton racks instead. Still looks cheap. Could almost pick up a used Triton Rack AND a TR Rack for those pads AND the Karma Triton software for less than the price of a used Karma Workstation.
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Yea I saw this on my phone this morning and was going to chime in about the TR rack.

Do you mean the Karma software running on a PC then midi'ed to the Triton?

Yes, TR is a great synth, just not a good bread and butter synth. Little out dated.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Well I've got the Kronos, so bread and butter are covered pretty well. Still planning on adding a MOX8 at some point so I have an 88-note weighted controller plus the Yammie sound set. The acoustic sounds that are missing in the Kronos are covered pretty well in the MOX in my opinion. Yeah I need to dig up that link. I Seem to remember it was Paolo maybe who posted it. It was a TR Rack being controlled by a MIDI controller and I seem to remember a big piece of styrofoam over the controllers surface. It was just going through the presets and combis and I thought it was amazing sounding for the ambient-chill-downtempo stuff I does. The TR Racks are running around $200US on average on eBay while the Triton Racks are going for about $350US or so. Stuff to ponder over the holidays ... hmmmmm
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:29 am

The GC Used $79 TR Rack and the $200 Triton Rack are both gone. Tough luck. Unless it was you...

:squint:
Plink Floyd

Return to KSS